Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bouillotte Fans

Posted by anele (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 7:42

For those of you who like bouillotte lamps, lookee what I found on e-bay today!

These are brand new (so no wiring issues), solid brass swan lamps. I am guessing they are not adjustable, though.

This is a similar one, but this one is not a repro:

More beautiful for sure, but will likely sell for a lot.

For $30 + shipping (no shade), that is the best I've seen. I bought 2.

8 still left as I write this.

I just ordered mine, so I cannot comment on the quality. Seems like a great deal, but who knows.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to E-bay listing

This post was edited by anele on Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 8:05

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bouillotte Fans

Really beautiful! Love that old stuff. Nice find!

o

Anele, you have truly scored, based on the description. That is likely a copy of a 1972 lamp by Chapman.

I bought one of the real McCoys a few years ago on eBay, when the seller just listed it as a brass swan lamp. When it arrived, there was the Chapman label! What a thrill that was. I'd probably have had to pay about 15 - 20 times what I did, if he'd noted the label on it.

Not the same style, but here is a similar Chapman Bouillotte lamp on eBay now. I LOVE Bouillotte lamps, and have several.

Here is a link that might be useful: LAMP BOUILLOTTE CHAPMAN 3 ARMS MAROON TEXTURED SHADE

o

Beautiful find Anele, I am soooo tempted! How will you find an appropriate shade? I am terrible when it comes to finding lamp shades.

o

Holly, Do you have any (non big box) lamps stores nearby? I have found some great shades locally here in Maine. But after I saw anele's post, I looked at Bouillotte shades on eBay, and there are some there.

The lamp seller doesn't give the width, so you'd have to wait until you got the lamp in hand, but WHAT A PRICE! I've put a link to some shades on eBay, and you'll pay a bit more for the shade than the lamp, but for what you'd get, it's well worth it, if you price other Bouillotte lamps out there. The link has 4 sizes available.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bouillotte Black Paper Lamp Shade Gold Foil Inside Candlestick 4 Sizes USA Made

o

My3dogs, thank you so much, you are awesome!

o

Tibb, I do, too!

Holly-Kay, just as M3D suggested, I am going to look locally first, because I think it's easier to really see whether or not the shade fits right. If not, I'll get one online. Probably just cloth, though (not metal, sadly-- too $$ for me). Looks like these lamps are not selling, so when I get mine I will let you know about the quality.

M3D, I absolutely love this style of lamp, too. I have been looking for some inexpensive ones for a long time . . .seems like everyone else on e-bay likes them, too, haha! I got a floor lamp that is a Baldwin-- shiny yellow brass (80s!), but good quality, horn-style, with a nice (cloth) shade, which I think is original, for $15 on CL. I'm still kicking myself for not getting some inexpensive table lamps that had their original shades, but it was far, during the bad winter, and I would have had to brought the kids . . .but still.

Thank you for the info that it may be a Chapman repro. You really lucked on on getting your original! Wow! So glad it went to you, because I just love your home and can see how beautiful it would look there. You do it justice!

I am so surprised more of these have not sold, but I think it's because the seller is listing it in the wrong place and w/o the right key words. I may have to write to them to help them out!

o

I want to purchase one or two and need to get a move on. My problem is that I have so many redecorating projects going at once and it seems that one wrong decorating decision can throw the rest horribly off!

I want to bring our more formal dining room furniture to our primary home and that is where I am wanting one or a pair of the bouillottes. I just don't want to buy two if I only need one. Geesh I am deep in the throes of decision paralysis!

o

Well I bit the bullet and purchased two. There is a lighting shop a few blocks from my business so when the lamps arrive I will look there first for shades. I was on the inviting home website yesterday and found lamps that I loved but considering they were almost a thousand each I will risk these. Even with shipping they cost well under one hundred. The site that My3 posted is where I will go if the lighting shop doesn't have what I need.

o

Holly, re: " one wrong decorating decision can throw the rest horribly off! "

I hear you. But I give up! I am trying to force myself to get ONLY what I really love. Doesn't always work out because, sometimes you just need a table, and my budget is basically non-existent, so I am super limited. However, I find that if I get what I truly love, I can find a place for it somewhere.

Hopefully, if you like these lights enough, you'll find a place for them. :)

I got an email saying they've shipped-- hopefully quality will be good and it won't be impossible to find the shades.

o

Anele it looks like you and I are the only people that have ordered. His listing this morning showed 4 sold. Two for you and two for me. I am so very glad you posted this. I will be using these in my dining room and I can't wait to get them. I just wish I could figure out ahead of time what size shade to look for!

o

Holly, yes,you are right! I am with you on the shades. Would be nice to have them ready to go. What color do you think you will get?

o

I think that black is my choice. For some reason when I was doing my living room I wanted a lamp with a black shade. These aren't for my living room though but I just think the black shade is a classic look.

o

anele & holly-k - Those lamps are interesting and I like the look. I never knew what a Bouillotte was until reading this post.

Please share pictures of the lamps when you get the shades for them. It would be fun to see them all dressed up in their new home!

Laurie

o

What's the key for if it's not adjustable?

o

I just tracked my packages and they are on the truck for delivery today. It will take me a bit to post pictures as I will have to find shade to complete the look.

Anele, have you received your lamps yet? I was wondering if you found shades? If so please post!

o

Holly, please let us know what the quality is like. I need a new table lamp, and even though I don't play poker, this one looks like it may fit the bill.

o

HA! I clicked on this thread wondering what a Bouillotte fan looked like. I knew what the lamps looked like, but I'd never seen a Bouillotte fan. Shesh! Sometimes I wonder about myself.

If you cannot otherwise find lampshades, here is a link for bouillotte lampshades. If you don't like this choice, they also have hardbacked shades that look like they might work. I've purchased from this company before and returned items to them. I find them easy to work with.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bouillotte lamp shades

o

BBSTX, you had me ROFL with your Bouillotte fan!

Nosoccer, I will let you know. I am thinking Anele should have hers by now because she ordered before me. They were shipping from UT, I am in PA you can't get much further away.

Edited for spelling

This post was edited by holly-kay on Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 14:07

o

I just received mine, surprisingly because they were not marked as out for delivery.

For $38 total, the quality is great. The brass is lovely, IMO. Muted and on the bronze side of the spectrum. They are heavy, and the have a very regal look to them because the finial is so tall. They are made in China, so if that is a problem for you, stay away . . .but I am very happy with them. No regrets! Can't wait until I can get my shades but don't know when that will happen, esp. since we are hosting Easter.

Holly-Kay, tell me what you think when you get yours! I am also getting black, but have not bought them yet. Would prefer to shop with them w/the lamp in hand. In fact, that is a big reason as to why I want to paint my room red . . .because I think the brass and black shades would look good.

Laurie, I will take pics when I finally get shades! :)

NSM, they key is just the finial. Do not seem to be adjustable, but I will have my DH take a look. And yes, no need to bust of the card games, ha, ha!!

BBSTX, you are so funny! I realized after I wrote that title how confusing it might be, but no editing of the title allowed! TY for the link! I definitely want mine to be lined w/gold, so I'm glad to see that is an option. Just scared to mess up re: the right size.

This post was edited by anele on Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 17:26

o

Anele, mine have arrived also. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice the finish is and they have a definite heft to them. The down side is that at least with my first lamp (the other is still in the box) the finial and candle sticks are a bit cattywampus. I am hoping that I can fiddle with the adjustment to get them plumb, otherwise they will drive me bonkers!

o

I was looking at Visual Comfort bouillotte lamps and the one model looks very similar in design and size. The dimensions on the lamp shade is 8.5 x 11 x 7.5.

o

Holly-Kay, one of my lamps was more "cattywampus" (hee hee), too! But, I think that I can adjust . . .I was messing around with it, and I think it's a matter of getting the screw straight, candle straight, little end cap straight, etc. . . .

And, believe it or not, even the expensive antique ones often look that way, too!!

Check out the one on the right. $675 for the pair.

$450

RE: the Visual Comfort shade, is it the right style in terms of the way the inside of the lamp is? I am not explaining it clearly because I'm not clear about where the shade will "land" on the inside of the lamp.

Here is a link that might be useful: lamps

This post was edited by anele on Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 19:55

o

Yes, I see the older ones are cattywampus too. I really am pleased and think when I find the correct shade I will be even more so. I love how the black shades look with brass lamps. The finish on the lamps is far nicer in person than it appears on ebay.

o

Holly-Kay, did you get your lamps straightened out?

I just wanted to show you the Chapman 1972 lamp that M3D referenced.

I mentioned this on the living room thread, but I have not been shopping in person for shades yet. Have you found anything?

Here is a link that might be useful: Chapman Bouillotte

o

Anele, thanks for posting. I have been anxiously awaiting your post to see your lovely room with lamps in place. I will continue to follow this post until you have yours.

I actually went to our local, non big box lighting center and found a style that would work but they are fabric not the paper or metal that I would have preferred. They didn't have them in black so I had to order them. She told me it would be several weeks until they come in.

My one lamp is still cattywampus but since even the expensive versions tend towards crookedness I will learn to live with it. I may take the crooked one to the lighting center to see if they can straighten it. When I tried the shade on my lamp while I was there I told her the lamps were very inexpensive. She was surprised because the quality is, in her opinion, very nice. I will post pics as soon as I get the shades.

o

Holly-Kay, thanks for your response!

I think you were wise to "try on" the shades in person. The black silk will be gorgeous. Did you have to get a custom size or was it just an issue with the color regarding ordering? If you have any tips re: the correct measurements, I am all ears.

If you are unhappy with the lamp, I would consider contacting the seller and seeing if you can't get an exchange. While it was inexpensive, you paid for a lamp that is not defective!

It is something that someone who works with lamps was surprised at the cost. I am happy with them, though happier once I get the shades!

I am so excited to see what yours look like once they are dressed and ready in your room!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here