Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
douglasont

masculine style - post your pics

douglasont
15 years ago

Hi. Firstly, I adore cute 'feminine' style decor and I see lots of great, super, classy examples of it everywhere on this forum, in magazines and on TV. I am searching of the same quality yet 'masculine' in character. Now I'm not being sexist - I just use these terms because they seem to be universally understood.

ps. masculine style, in this case, does not equal super big tv's, sports paraphernalia or excessive amounts of taxidermy.

Got any good examples?

d

Comments (63)

• allison0704
    15 years ago

Here's a slideshow of our Colorado summer home I already had on Shutterfly. The inside pictures were taken after we took out what we wanted to bring back here before we sold, so it may seem a bit sparse, but the decor is definitely masculine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Colorado House

• cliff_and_joann
    15 years ago

Gosh what wonderful masculine rooms...
    Aunt Jenn, your bedroom is beyond unique...never, never
    change a thing, it could never be duplicated.

Doug, I bet your surprised there so many masculine rooms out there!
    Here's more of my den

other side, note manly hunting hound!

{{!gwi}}

I have a masculine Living room too, with some femenine touches...more later.

Love all your masculine rooms, showed Cliff and he loved them too...

Joann

• nhb22
    15 years ago

allison0704 - Why on earth did you sell that gorgeous home?

• cliff_and_joann
    15 years ago

aunt jenn, we have the same wicker chair.
    masculine mantle separating living Room and dining room

Also British colonial is masculine, I tried to do my living room in British colonial.

• allison0704
    15 years ago

Meant to tell auntjen I love your room! I would not paint it either.

It was a summer home we built as an investment....and to escape Alabama summers. We had it for 8 years before selling. We did go out during the winter but most of the time just had the maid check on it every other week and closed it up for the season.

• monicakm_gw
    15 years ago

Lordy I wish I had 1/2 the decorating "gene" you ladies have! I know I'm still adding to my den but it'll never look as well put together has the ones in this thread :( They're all very nice!
    Monica

• boystown
    15 years ago

I love this thread---please keep the pictures coming. I love this look. You all sure have a flare for decorating. Puts mine to shame. I noticed that so many of your walls are white or light color. Makes me thing that I am trying to put too much color on my walls. Hmmmm

• mcbird
    15 years ago

Here's a shot of our master bedroom. Kind of hard to get a good shot in there, but man I love this room!

• nhb22
    15 years ago

cliff_and_joann - That mantle is really nice! We had one made of white trim, however the stained wood really sets off your room.

• johnatemp
    15 years ago

Monica,
    I saw this today and thought of your great antelope carpet. I have never seen that before. I think it is very cool!! Okay, I can't get it to post but it is on the Cote de Texas blog. (wonderful blog - love it) Link below
    {{!gwi}}

Tahl, no taxidermy for ya - huh!! Not my thing either but I suppose Dh does get his say. Don't you just love that rug?? I was soooooooo nervous about the lighter field but just a damp rag will take away mint chocolate chip ice cream!! (DS's fav)
    The paint color is BM WIlmington Tan.
    Your colors sound very simliar. Post pics when you get it done. It's exciting having painting done - makes everything feel so crisp and clean. I am sure it will look great! Also, since you are searching for a new sofa - don't forget back clearance rooms - I found this one at a Henredon warehouse sale.

I am enjoying all these rooms, too. It seems like every magazine has light, white, gray upholstery, painted Sweedish furniture and seagrass rugs. I LOVE this look, too but haven't won the lottery to change my house or have full time housekeeper to clean all the dog/child prints off the upholstery!!

SMiles:)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• oceanna
    15 years ago

Newhomebuilder, please, where did you get that dog pic? Love it!

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Find this article at: http://www.ehow.com/how_2050170_create-masculine-bedroom.html

How to Create a Masculine Bedroom
    by eHow Home & Garden Editor

Introduction
    Masculine style is restrained, distinguished and bold. A bedroom reflective of male sensibilities can be as inviting as any frilly fortress designed by the most indulgent of interior designers. Create a clean, modern and masculine bedroom by following the guidelines below.
    Instructions
    Difficulty: Easy
    Steps
    1 Step One
    Survey the situation. Study your bedroom and take notice of the size, lines and angles of the space. Also consider your existing furnishings and bedroom accessories as you work toward a masculine feel. You may decide to overhaul the existing look altogether or work off of the current style.
    2 Step Two
    Measure the space. Floor, wall and window dimensions should be understood before you start buying items for the room to ensure the items are a good fit.
    3 Step Three
    Decide on a color palette. Go neutral with white, tan or beige walls. For a more bold statement, paint walls blue, brown or another deep shade. Take into consideration the size of your bedroom when choosing a wall color. Darker colors will close up the space while lighter colors open up the room. Compromise by painting one wall a dark shade and keeping the others white.
    4 Step Four
    Select your bedding. Use nature as inspiration when deciding on colors and patterns. Consider a solid colored duvet and matching pillow cases. Don't overdress the bed with decorative shams and throw pillows. Keep it clean and simple. Stripes and plaids in dark colors are masculine in nature. For a stronger composition, pair stripes with plaids or simply add patterned pillowcases with a monochromatic comforter.
    5 Step Five
    Dress the windows. Cover windows with simple panels in a heavy material. Avoid sheers or light fabrics and select a contrast color that works with the existing color palette. Window treatments are a good way to incorporate bold colors without overwhelming the room.
    6 Step Six
    Work in the details. A mahogany bowl holds car keys and loose change while at the same time functions as an eye-catching display piece. Select decorative items constructed from dark wood or metal. Situate an Art Deco style lamp next to your bed. Be conservative in your use of decorative pieces and select rugged yet refined items to add a sense of character.

Tips & Warnings

Choose dressers, chest of drawers and bedside tables in dark wood. Select pieces with clean lines. Functional furniture reflects masculine style through dark stained wood and industrial looking hardware.
    For wall art, consider framed screen prints, movie posters and original artwork. For a more sophisticated look, have the pieces professionally matted and framed.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Create a Maculine Bedroom

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Link that has several nice pictures of Maculine styled Beds with Bedding is attached.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link that has several nice Maculine styled Beds with Bedding

• ttodd
    15 years ago

I love this thread! There are quite a few poster's pics here that I've not seen before & I'm glad to see them. I wonder, 'Is it because the homes don't fit into the styles & trends that we so often see question's asked about here?'. Seeing as I own barely anything new I agree w/ the PP who said that they were glad to see rms. that weren't all store bought. I too am a fan of the more masculine style & was looking forward to the responses.

I've had the Nell Hill books on my Christmas list for yrs. Looks like I'm breaking down & stopping at Barnes & Nobles after work today.

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

ttodd, Before you go to B&N, stop by Tuesday Morning if you have one. I got a Nell Hill Book there a few months ago and saw one there last week.

• cjacker
    15 years ago

Monicakm, I love the color on your walls. Would you mind sharing the color and the technique? Also, the color of the stain on your trim? Thank you, Jeanie

• cjacker
    15 years ago

Sweeby, would you mind sharing where you got your chairs in your great room (which, by the way, is gorgeous)? They look so comfortable,yet don't take up a lot of room. Thanks, Jeanie

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Wonder where Douglasont is and if he liked any of the pics others sent or the links I sent to help him design a classy masculine bedroom.

• monicakm_gw
    15 years ago

gma_j, The paint techinque is colorwashing. The base color was an off-white/light cream color. I'm sorry I don't know the name. The top color (SW's Java) is mixed with a a glaze (or whatever you mix for colorwashing). We didn't do that ourselves. DH did stain the woodwork but he doesn't remember the stain color. I'm sorry.

• kelleg69
    15 years ago

Wow, I am excited to see Nell Hill's mentioned. I live in Kansas City and have talked personally with Mary Carol a number of times (she is good friends with my good friend). She is very warm and personable and very willing to talk about projects you have.

Her main store is about an hour away, but she opened a new store in KC and it is AMAZING!!! I am doing a "billiards" room in my new house and she has some great ideas for me. If you don't have her books, you should pick them up. She has great style. If you ever have a chance to come to KC, try to go to both locations (Atchison, KS and KC, MO). You won't be sorry!!!

• kelleg69
    15 years ago

After posting, I realized I have some pictures from Nell Hill's that I can share.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nell Hill's store pix

• sis3
    15 years ago

So is my master bedroom masculine?
    {{!gwi}}

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

sis3, Your bedrom would be masculine if you did not have the feminine curves on your iron headboard that I love. I also love teh ceiling so much. I think your bedroom is gender neutral with a touch of curves. But I think a man and woman would be comfortable in your bedroom. You did a nice job.

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

Our Great Room has a masculine feel with all the dark leather and heavy furniture.

• nhb22
    15 years ago

Posted by oceanna (My Page) on Thu, Apr 24, 08 at 23:49

"Newhomebuilder, please, where did you get that dog pic? Love it! "

Thanks! I found it in an antique store near my home. It is more beautiful in person.

sis3 - I love your bedroom. So simple, yet elegant. Looks like a bedroom in Key West.

• sis3
    15 years ago

lynn2006 and newhomebuilder, thank you very much for your positive comments.
    I must say I never thought of the bedroom as masculine until now :) So this is why DH loves this bedroom!! I was just going for simple and serene! We both love the textures - silk, velvet, wool and jute, bamboo, polished mahogany, iron, luxurious linens.

I now have to find an attractive tropical style ceiling fan to complement the ceiling (that DH built) and the windows and French door still have no blinds or drapes!

• msrose
    15 years ago

oceanna - someone managed to find out the name of newhomebuilder's picture before and I saved the name because I love it also. It's Hounds by Edward Smythe.

Laurie

• leahcate
    15 years ago

Hey, what's my chest of drawers ( antique mahogany) doing in Nell Hill's shop and who IS Nell Hill? I do like her style. :>) My chest was purchased in Va. and had Croydon (U.K) , address labels in the drawers. Oops! I think I'm hijacking here, but how else can I ask if anyone knows anything re. that chest pictured here from Nell Hill's store( first pic at top left)...Thanks kelleg for posting. Sorry all for hijacking, just too good an op. to pass up.Thanks for not flaming :>/

• loribee
    15 years ago

Our FR has three, yes 3 recliners! Although the print over the fireplace is a floral, the rest of the room has hunting prints all over.....I tried for a very masculine look.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• kelleg69
    15 years ago

Nell Hill's is a store named after Mary Carol Garrity's grandmother in Atchison, KS. She has grown that store into a bit of an empire. She has 3 (?) stores in Atchison and a new one in Kansas City. She has her own line of paint and several books. She has been on the Today Show, etc.

As for the dresser, that is for sale at Nell Hill's. It is most likely a reproduction.

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your pix. It is so fun to see how people decorate their homes.

• mistybear11
    15 years ago

Sweeby I have to tell you. I was in awe when I came across your picture of your kitchen. You have what I would call very close to my dream kitchen. I have been toying with the idea of painting or staining some of my oak furniture black. I have close to the same colour cupboards and have gray tile floors. And have been dreaming of black granite or something black for my countertops. I especially like that you have dark colours for your trims and baseboards. I keep going back and drooling over your picture. Just wanted to tell you I love your kitchen.

Linda

• nhb22
    15 years ago

Posted by msrose (My Page) on Sun, Apr 27, 08 at 23:04

"oceanna - someone managed to find out the name of newhomebuilder's picture before and I saved the name because I love it also. It's Hounds by Edward Smythe.
    Laurie"

Thanks Laurie for posting the above. I never knew the name of the painting. It is an oil reproduction. What sold us on the painting was the frame. I love the tortoise look as it blends so well with the doggy colors.

• mpwdmom
    15 years ago

Sweeby I have to tell you. I was in awe when I came across your picture of your kitchen. You have what I would call very close to my dream kitchen.

Make that two of us! I'd love to see some more photos and get the specifics. Love this thread! Thanks all.

Susan ~

• laurmela
    15 years ago

Make that 3 of us! I want that hutch!

Details, please ")

Toodles,

• melanie389
    15 years ago

I'm so inspired by all the lovely homes! Here's some pics of bedrooms. The 1st shows a 4 poster which is feminine but can be made more masculine with a touch of leather? Mirrors?

{{!gwi}}

sis3: When I saw your nice bedroom, it reminded me of this. So relaxing.
    {{!gwi}}

• sweeby
    15 years ago

Aw, shucks... Thanks for the kitchen compliments ;-)

The cabinets are by Medallion in knotty alder wood, hazelnut stain. Countertops are soapstone (DIY). The hutch is the same style of cabinets in a painted and distressed maple with after-market leaded glass doors. There's also a dark barn red island on the other side with the same white granite on top and an antique copper range hood. Gotta say, that kitchen is my favorite room in the house, and not a day goes by that I don't wander in to it and just look around. (And it's been done for 2+ years)

• mpwdmom
    15 years ago

Hey, thank you sweeby! If you have more photos, I'd love to see. :)
    Susan

• denali2007
    15 years ago

auntjen

When I first saw the picture of your bathroom I thought that was the view then realized it's a painting!!!!!

• hosta_house
    15 years ago

So I like GREEN
    {{!gwi}}

• jen4268
    15 years ago

Here are a few pictures of our guest house over the garage- done for my husband as a getaway, and used for guests when needed.

• akehcmbf
    15 years ago

Jen4268, LOVE what you did above the garage! FAB! A+++

• acoreana
    15 years ago

Wonderful rooms all!

Sis3, I'm going to start a new thread so I don't hijack this one,

Nat :)

• nhb22
    15 years ago

jen4268 - That is the most gorgeous guest house that I have ever seen! I'd love to see more. Is there a bedroom? What is off the french doors to the outside?

• zipdee
    15 years ago

Beautiful rooms everyone!

Jen4268, your guest house is amazing! I'm a sucker for your painted v-joint and all the nooks the roof line creates, fantastic!

• jen4268
    15 years ago

newhomebuilder- sorry, I just saw your questions today. I am in the midst of a major kitchen project and I have been living over in the kitchens forum lately.

Anyway, I will find a few more pictures for you, thanks for all of the kind words! The french doors- the pair going outside go to a small private patio that has an outdoor fireplace, the indoor french doors- they are both fake. One side is see through, in order to let light into the kitchen. The other side is mirrored and just there to match and to reflect light back into the room. There is not a separate bedroom, but there is a murphy queen bed that goes away when we are not using it as a bedroom.

• yborgal
    15 years ago

This is our upstairs guest room area. I'm not sure if this is considered "masculine", but it's definitely not girly-girly.

• teacats
    15 years ago

Here's my one-and-only living room -- Ive been told that it is a very masculine room -- complete with two coffee tables! LOL! One is a very old painted wood trunk -- and a regular oval one ...... handy! And those extra dark blinds are simply sitting in the large window -- just a quick change that might be changed again for the summer months. No curtains -- too much dust here -- and four cats! LOL! The extra rug (an antique Heriz) is rolled up and stashed behind the sofa on the main wall.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Beautiful thread!

Teacats, another beautiful room. Saw your master a while ago, which is gorgeous too! So much for your modest little house as I think you've said!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    15 years ago

My living room might be considered masculine...

• wooderlander
    15 years ago

My3dogs, I think yours is a rather perfect balance.