Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eldemila

Painted Panel Covered Den-What Type of Window Coverings? PICS

eldemila
13 years ago

Well, after much thought and discussion, we ended up painting the panel covered den in the 1960's house we purchased. We knew we were going to replace the original floor, which is almost completed with new tile, and we bought a darker brown couch that we knew would not only go with the paneling, but hide any potential dirt (clay soil, it's bound to get something on it!) In the interm, we also replaced the original windows with vinyl replacement windows, and though I did like the original cornices and wish we could have painted/kept them, when DH said keep them off I agreed, and actually was glad I did.

We are at the last stages of finishing this room and I'm not sure what window coverings would look good on these windows. I'm thinking 1/2" mini blinds? I really want something with an inside mount but don't have too much space to play with. Other windows in the house do have 1/2" blinds, so I know these can be accomodated.

We painted the wall Behr's Ultra Artists Canvas, a creamy off-white color. I don't want to go with more brown since the couch is brown and I think that's enough brown.

Here's a few pictures to help with giving any advice or suggestions.

Before:

Couch will stay in same position within the room

Work in progress, but I think you can get the jist of it

Tiles are off white with a creamy peach trim on edges:

Color on the left wall:

The windows are double hung, if that info helps.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!!!

Comments (13)

• Fori
    13 years ago

I don't know--I like blinds because they're practical, but Roman shades could be nice.

I just have to say what a relief it was to get to the final pictures. It wasn't awful paneling but it's MUCH better painted!

• CEFreeman
    13 years ago

I happen to like the look of painted paneling. I think your room is becoming very stylish.

I would go with some Roman shades, too. Some bamboo ones would be nice, but I don't know the rest of the room. I like the smooth look of a large blind that spans the entire window. But that's me! :)

It looks very airy and fresh.

• eldemila
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The bamboo shades, I actually wouldn't mind, but I'm finding that the big box stores don't have the size/length I need and was told that they can't be cut. They did have some I liked.

I'm thinking more the 1/2" blinds. Roman shades are nice, but it's either up or down. At least with the blinds I can open them a little, more, or all the way - or pull them up.

If I decide to go that route, color choice is the next question. Stick with white, or do cream or beige. The windows are white, the trim will be white semi gloss.

Since yesterday, we had 7 spot lights installed - not something I had planned but glad we did. Lighting from fan is coming down - DH wants to put up a white fan, I say paint the brown blades, the rest is antque bronze, it should go.

Thanks again for the comments and suggestions!!!

Will post pics are it progresses and of course, the finished product.

• amysrq
    13 years ago

White! White! White!

In case you couldn't tell, I really think the blinds should match the windows. :-)

The room is looking great!

• eldemila
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, that's what I think, but then, I'm afraid of color, so my other homes have always been painted white, beige, cream, off-white - you get the idea. Anyone who knows me knows I'm a "Neo Classical" color type of gal, bascially, I was told my color choices in paint were BORING!

Wait til they see what color I painted the master bathroom we gutted out in this house and are in the midst of redoing!!!! Won't they be shocked! Totally not me, or wasn't me til now ;)

• pamghatten
    13 years ago

That bathroom color is gorgeous! Isn't it fun to play with color?

• eldemila
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Pam, appreciate the reply. It IS fun to play with color, but scarey for me. People say "it's just paint" but I'm the type who hates making a mistake, which usually means more $$ But I've now enlisted the help and advice of others and are actually taking in the advice instead of reverting back to my comfortability of the whites and off-whites.

We'll be doing a half bath/powder room soon, and I'm actually looking at rust color paints! I'm on a roll!!!

FYI, the picture above the toilet - hidden medicine cabinet!

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

Love the new painted walls, and your new red bath. I, too, would opt for bamboo or light wood blinds.

BTW, I have to ask, is your toilet plugged in? Or, am I dreadfully behind the times and that's something new?
    Dee

• User
    13 years ago

I vote for some Roman blinds in a nice print or stripe. Something that will embrace all the colors you're bringing in.

You may want to check out Etsy. When we were doing our bathroom upstairs, I wanted something different for the window and found a woman there who made valances. Her workmanship was fabulous and I was really happy with the transaction. My favorite thing about it is it's more unique so every other house in the area doesn't have the same thing. A lot of the sellers have pricing that's reasonable too and the choices are unlimited.

Here is a link that might be useful: custom made Roman Shades

• eldemila
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dee, LOL! That actually is the heated toilet seat I got my husband for Christmas. Being from SOFLA we aren't use to the cold, so I thought this may help make the "transition" a little easier, or at least make him yelp a little less during the winter when nature calls! The added bonus is it has an air freshner and a deodorizer, a gift for me! ; )

Thank lukkiirish, I'll check out that sight.

Guess I'll look a little more before I leap on making any decisions.

Room should be completed tomorrow, Monday at the latest, or so I hope.

Here's the latest:

He installed these little lights, love them!

• Arapaho-Rd
    13 years ago

Your room looks great! I'd love to know which paint you chose for your ceiling and trim. Everything looks so clean and bright - love it!

• eldemila
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks arapaho!

I used Behr Ultra, the one with the primer. Actually, the white on the trim is only the primer right now, hasn't been painted with the paint yet, I'll have to check which color it is. The ceiling is Behr's Gallery White using their ceiling paint.

• loribee
    13 years ago

The walls look amazing and I LOVE your couch!