Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Botanicals with a Modern Vibe - Pics

Posted by javachik (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 6, 12 at 7:19

Made some changes in my powder room with these prints I made. Do they say spring to you?

Photobucket

Photobucket

The Rembrandt print will stay (with something on the shelf), but I need to find/make a lighter replacement for the dandelion.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Botanicals with a Modern Vibe - Pics

They sure do, they're wonderful!!!!

o

They look great! Very nice!

o

Spring dandelion?

Just kidding...they want $119 for this!!!

I love your new botanicals.

o

Olychick - I have a camera and a printer. I think it would be VERY funny and may just do it. Thanks for the idea!

o

Very pretty, I love those white frames !!!!

o

If you need photos of Dandelions (or some other flower), check out photos I took while in Alaska and Canada a couple years ago. I was so enthralled with the beauty and size of the Dandelions, snapping pictures non-stop, that a woman pulled my husband aside and said "she does know those are just weeds, right?" LOL

Below is a link to my flower picks. They are roughly organized by color so go through the slideshow (or the thumbnails at the bottom) until you see yellow. If you see one that you like, let me know or just copy it out of my album.

Jodi-

Here is a link that might be useful: Alaska and Canada Flora

o

Jodi - Those pictures are beautiful! Thank you for the link.

o

Gorgeous pictures, Jodi! Thanks for sharing.

o

Glad you're enjoying my pics. (not "picks" which is what I wrote earlier ... sheesh LOL)

Jodi-

o

java -- I like your DIY art :) Looks bright and definitely spring-like.

jodi....... those are gorgeous. You have a great eye :)

I like this linked one a lot, although many others:

Here is a link that might be useful: http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/newelljo/2010-May_Alaska_Albums/AK and CAN Flora/Juneau_flora26_52310_oc.jpg

o

Jodi - Those are gorgeous pictures. Thank you so much for sharing them.

o

Lolauren, that is one of my very favorites!

That was taken in Juneau, AK. The exact spot is the small grassy area on the left about half way up the street. I've been told they are tulips before they open.

Jodi-

o

Jodi those photos are beautiful! It's very generous of you to share. I am planning to blow up a bunch of photos of flowers and frame them and I would love to you a few of yours.

o

I think they are poppies before they open. :) In the dandelion series I LOVE the one with the bee in the center and the purple wings. You do have a great eye and great skills capturing what you see.

o

You're right Olychick, I even wrote Oriental Poppy in the description. Doh.

These photos were taken with a ten year old Olympus point and shoot super zoom camera. So old that it can't handle a memory card larger than 256k!

Jodi-

o

Javachik I really like what you did with those prints. Can you tell us how you made them? Also, I can't figure out what that top blue picture is?

o

Jodi (or anyone) - Is there a trick to copying others' photos from Photobucket? I tried a dandelion and the Oriental poppy and got a thin colored line???

Cindy - All the prints are plants/leaves of some sort, even the weird top one. I painted an irregular border of frisker (a masking solution; the brand I used was Friskit) on cold pressed board (water color paper) and let it dry. Then I placed the foligage on the paper, letting parts extend onto the frisker border. Spray paint one thin coat and remove the foliage. When the paint is dry, rub off the frisker. Float-mount the print onto a larger piece of cold pressed board using acid-free, double-sided tape and frame without matting. The frames are 11x14 from Michaels and cost about $8 during sale w/coupons.

o

Javachik, when you find the image you like, right mouse click on it and select Save Image to save to your hard drive. Photobucket does have an option where the owner can disallow the copy function (though there are ways around that).

Not sure if you can copy from my slide show so below is a link to my actual album. Plus, here are the two photos I think you were interested in.

Jodi-

Here is a link that might be useful: Alaska and Canada Flora

o

If the owner has disallowed copy function, however, that should probably be respected.

o

Of course Cyn, I just mentioned it because someone else was likely to add it on to my comment if I hadn't. :-)

o

Thank you Jodi! I think I saw a dandelion puff-ball in your photos, too, with the greenery in the background. All so very pretty!

o

Javachik, very cleverly done! I didn't realize you had made those prints...beautiful!

Jodi, your photos are lovely...thanks for bringing back memories of Butchart gardens....what a beautiful place.

o

You're welcome Javachik. Here is the dandelion puff. It was taken in a place called Icy Point Strait, Alaska.

Went on a hike yesterday and found myself some gorgeous California Poppies to photograph. It was a wonderful Easter and picture perfect day here in Southern Calif.

Jodi-

o

Jodi - Thanks! I feel like I should be making contributions to your photo shoot vacation fund!

Java

o

I found the instructions in Better Homes and it wa so easy!!! Photobucket

o

Please post a link to the instructions JSWELL3.

Javachik, having people enjoy my photos is payment enough.

Jodi-

o

http://www.bhg.com/decorating/do-it-yourself/wall-art/diy-artwork-botanical-prints/

o

Thanks jswell3, and here I was trying to recreate the pics using Photoshop. :-)

Jodi-

o

jswell3 - Yours look AMAZING!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here