Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Floor globe suggestions?

mtnrdredux_gw
9 years ago

My 14 yo son is a geography nut and has asked me for a new floor globe . He has had it for years and we can't get it to stand straight anymore .

I'd like to get him something nice . I went straight to National Geographic, but the reviews were bad on the one I wanted . A second one had no reviews at all.

Any good sources ? I'd like to keep it under 500 , and I think a tripod stand would be nice .

Thanks

Comments (13)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Rand McNally has them.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

This one is interesting (link below)

And ultimate globes.com has a whole range of standing globes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Floor globe

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Only one person reviewed this on the ultimate globes site, it was a five star review but vague. They have others on tripods but not as,vintage-y as this one.

• bpath
    9 years ago

This Rand McNally beauty dates from the early 1960s. It lights up! But pretty dated.

• deegw
    9 years ago

I love globes. Informative and decorative! Hammacher Schlemmer has some nice ones but they are significantly over your budget. I checked Amazon but most of them look like something you'd see in Bombay Company. You might need to scour ebay for a nice older one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hammacher Schlemmer

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

We have one that we purchased about 15 years ago that looks very much like the world's most detailed globe that Deee posted. I can assure you we didn't pay nearly that much for ours and I am certain that ours doesn't have the detail though the wood is lovely and it does light up. Our grandsons think it is wonderful! We bought it at FLS when we were shopping for bedroom furniture.

• sixtyohno
    9 years ago

mtnrdredux,
    Since your son is interested in globes, he might like this photo of FDR and his globe. He and Churchill received identical globes. World War ll was fought using this globe. In 1943 the commander in chief used this globe as one of his resources. Now we have satellites that can probably read the number on a house. Amazing times
    Laura

Here is a link that might be useful: FDR and his globe

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Thank you for posting that Ohno. So interesting to see the globe FDR and Churchill were presented with.

• suero
    9 years ago

Of course the quintessential globe picture has to be Charlie Chaplin's in The Great Dictator.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Great Dictator- Globe Scene

• User
    9 years ago

bpathome, where did you find that globe? I "collect". Anything over three is a collection, right? I know where I can buy 3 more but really, 7 are probably enough. I did see an oval tin container with a world map painted on it, old, $8. I want it. And I will set it.........where? My latest is a 1946 for THREE DOLLARS!! Same age as me! (I know, "as I" but I didn't suppose the grammar police were watching.)

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

Here's ours. I don't remember what I paid for it but I know it wasn't anywhere near your budget.

I have the paperwork and if anything changes, a new globe is provided with the updated map.

I use it constantly with my twins in their school work.

When middle dd was at Bond University studying abroad for a semester...boys thought it was cool to be able to see where she was,, when they missed her so much.

• peony4
    9 years ago

My family loves maps and globes. My son recently received a levitating globe from the company below. The link takes you to their floor globes. What a fun purchase for your son!

Here is a link that might be useful: Replogle Globe

• User
    9 years ago

Just be sure you check the measurement before you buy. Get the biggest one you can find.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!