Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hlh2109

Furniture placement - HELP!!!

HLH2109
9 years ago

I am looking for some help with laying out my lounge. We have just recently moved in and the furniture is still where it landed when it was moved in!
I think it could look so much better but we are struggling with how to lay things out - any ideas appreciated!

Note that all kids toys will be moving up to their playroom apart from the train table behind the sofa so need to fit that into the room somewhere.

Thanks in advance

Photos to follow....

Comments (11)

• HLH2109
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rear of room 1

• HLH2109
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rear of room 2

• HLH2109
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Entrance to room 1

• HLH2109
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Entrance to room 2

• HLH2109
    Original Author
    9 years ago

View from door

• Oakley
    9 years ago

When you get time, can you straighten the pictures? It's hard to see the room. I have a really bad neck. lol.

The chairs look comfy but I think they're too heavy looking and suffocates the room. They also limit how you want to arrange the furniture.

I just got rid of a chair and a half, similar to your two chairs in style but a little longer. While I liked the chair and color, it kept me from loving my room because of it's "heaviness." It suffocated the room.

I replaced it with a comfortable wingback and boy did it open up the room & it gave me more options on how I want to arrange my furniture.

If you move the train table next to a wall, scoot your sofa back, it will give you a lot more space in the room.

I know how important a train table is. lol.

• HLH2109
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol the train table stays even if nothing else does ðÂÂÂ
    Will get some better pictures later on when I'm home, that might help a bit.
    The chairs are going to be replaced - eventually - as I agree, they do suffocate the room but for now we have to spend money elsewhere so need to try and make do with what we have for now. :)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd move the sofa so that its back is against the long wall. Move the TV to the opposite wall, facing the sofa. Chair where the sofa is now.

• HLH2109
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you tibbrix, planning to try a few things out this weekend, I will definitely be trying that, it could work quite well :)

• geokid
    9 years ago

Agree with tibbrix.

When my son was of train table age, we had it in our family room also and we used it as a coffee table. If company came over, all the trains and parts when into baskets under the table and I spread a small table cloth over the whole thing to cover it up. Worked great! Your train table doesn't look like it's covered with brightly colored murals like ours, so you might not even need the tablecloth. :-)

This post was edited by geokid on Thu, Apr 3, 14 at 12:08

• HLH2109
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Geokid - brilliant idea! It has a drawer so can stash it all away and turn over the boards! Why didn't I think of that?! Simple but brilliant!

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer