Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texasgal47

What do you think of using Corian in the family room?

texasgal47
10 years ago

I'm designing a bookshelf system for the family room, to include a desk in the corner with wall cabinets above and cabinets on either side, using KraftMaid cabinets. This room is open to the kitchen so the cabinets are the same finish in both spaces, Biscotti with cocoa glaze. The two walls being used meet in a corner with one wall 103" long and the other, 72". The wall/desk system will cover the entire length along both walls. Base cabinets are 18"d and wall cabs, 12". So we're talking about quite a bit of counter top in the family room. The KD recommended using Corian in Ecru for the counter. It's a creamy solid colored matt surface that does look like a good color match to the cabinets. I'm wondering if this material will look too "kitcheny" in that room. The furniture in the room is Queen Anne style with walnut stained wood. Dekota Mahogany granite is used in the kitchen and for the fireplace surround in the FR. I want to keep the FR counters light as very dark black and copper grasscloth will be installed on the bookshelf cabinet back wall for 3 54" tall wall cabinets. Also, if walnut stained wood counters were used, the counter would need to be pieced for the 103" long counter which I don't like. I'm continually amazed at the excellent quality of help provided on this forum and would appreciate any assistance and feedback you can provide.

Comments (19)

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

I think if it's a good match to the cabinet, it will look less kitchen-y than granite and be more durable than painted wood.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i think i would be more inclined to use a nice laminate or a quartz (more expensive) rather than corian, but i'm not the biggest fan of corian...

• hhireno
    10 years ago

Have you touched Corian? My husband's bathroom counter is Corian and I don't like the feel of it. Too plasticky or something. My only advice is be sure you don't mind the feel if it's something you'll need to touch (like a desk top or even just to clean). Not everyone is as....um...crazy?...sensitive to things as I am so it might not be an issue for you.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

Corian Is plastic. But Corian, laminate and wood make slightly resilient, slightly cushiony reading and writing surfaces for desks, if that's how the desk is to be used.

Quartz or granite are a bit hard for desktop for a lot of people, and depending upon your climate, can be a bit cold.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

I know it's plastic, I am just surprised just how *cheaply* plastic it feels. It wasn't until I had to clean it that I ever really touched it.

ETA:
    Good reminder about the coldness of granite. I find it unpleasantly cold to the touch all year. But, again, I guess I have sensory issues.

This post was edited by hhireno on Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 9:56

• texasgal47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

All of this honest feedback is extremely helpful. I don't care if the Corian FEELS like plastic, as long as it doesn't LOOK like plastic. I also don't want it to be very cold to the touch in the winter when my arms rest on the desk top. I took my Corian sample outdoors this a.m., along with a 6"w scrap piece of KM trim board and held the two side by side in the sunshine and in the shade. The Corian is so close in color and sheen level to the KM that it looks like a tiny sample of the same product. The Corian is certainly expensive. The HD price was, I believe, $57 per sq. ft. The quick estimate to use it on my project was about $1200.
    The bottom line question is, "Will it look like a cheap plastic material on a higher end product?" I think I need to see a larger size sample. Please keep the comments/feedback coming. As one of the first posters said, since they're so close in color, it will probably work.

• suero
    10 years ago

I like the indestructibleness of Corian, however, I'm not sure how comfortable it will be for a writing surface. Laminate might be better. I just checked out how comforable it feels to write on a Corian surface, and did the same for laminate. I have Corian countertops in my kitchen, but a laminate desk top on the kitchen desk. The laminate wins hands down.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

Having had Corian, I do think it tends to look unmistakably. Depending on how you plan to use it, have you considered actual travertine or limestone? It feels warmer to the touch than granite or quartz.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

When I had built in cabinetry done in our library we used the same wood as our cabinets in lieu of counter material so it has a much more furniture like feel to it. For the desk area use an upscale desk pad to protect the wood. I think your room sounds like it is going to be upscale and beautiful so I would shy away from any material that will make your room look like an extension of the kitchen. IMO, Corian, quartz, or granite is too kitchen-like.

• texasgal47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, such thoughtful feedback from everyone has been quite helpful. Suero, thank you for taking the time to check out the Corian and laminate to let me know that in real life there is quite a difference to the touch. I've always liked working on laminate counters and had them for 35 years in my last home. Gooster, wouldn't travertine and limestone be too cold for a desk surface in the winter? I don't know much about these lovely materials, just asking. I'm certainly open to looking at other materials. Holly-kay, you best expressed my initial plan, to use the same painted material as the cabinets, as yes, I do want a high end look in that room. In my last home I had a study with white painted library cabinets. The counter was the exact same painted surface as the cabinets. They held up for many years, but needed repainting at the end. However, my DH did the initial painting with an air sprayer at home which can't match a job by professionals, esp. a product produced in a large factory. I think I can handle the care needed with a painted surface, just was hoping something else would work and be care-free. I live alone and the grands are not allowed to be careless with nice things. However, a painted surface would still mean a seam somewhere in the 103" long counter. I think if the last 8 " were pieced in the desk area it would be noticed less at a distance,esp if a desk pad were used as holly-kay suggests. The general consensus seems to be that Corian is a nice product but may not give the formal look I'm going for. Thanks to all of you for taking the time to respond and to provide such open feedback. I really appreciate your help and will post photos when the cabinets are installed. I've slowly been collecting artifacts from whaling days for this shelf system so can't wait to finally display and enjoy them.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Yes, there will be a seam. We have a seam in ours because it is a full wall of shelves and cabinets just a touch over 16 feet. The seam is not very noticeable. My only regret is that DH talked me into oak for the wood. I preferred cherry.

Good luck, I am anxious to see your completed project it sounds lovely!

• Gooster
    10 years ago

Texasgal47: To answer your question, limestone does not conduct heat or cold as well as granite or stainless steel (thermal conductivity). It is, however, worse than wood in this regard.

• texasgal47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gooster and holly-kay, thanks for the additional info. The wood seam not being a problem visually relieves my concern. Gooster, I'll look into the limestone as always like to scope out what's out there as, hopefully, will be living with this for a very long time. You sound like you know a great deal about natural materials. Do you work in the field professionally?

• texasgal47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gooster and holly-kay, thanks for the additional info. The wood seam not being a problem visually relieves my concern. Gooster, I'll look into the limestone as always like to scope out what's out there as, hopefully, will be living with this for a very long time. You sound like you know a great deal about natural materials. Do you work in the field professionally?

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Texas, I wanted to post a few pics of the library shelving especially in regards to the seam. You can very faintly see the only seam on the unit. It is right in the middle of the clock.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

The next pic shows the far right end. The left end is the same. Excuse the bottle of Bona wood cleaner and the messiness of the shelves. They need to be neatened up.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    10 years ago

Texas, I don't know how widely available in your state, but a friend of mine used Paperstone in the kitchen of her beach home, and had it installed in the downstairs kitchenette and crafts area there for her grandchildren, also some built-ins that she had done in a guestroom.

The house had been a tear-down, rebuild project. The first time I was in the finished kitchen, I realized I couldn't stop touching the countertops - to the point I probably looked silly. It was the friendliest hard surface I've ever seen/felt, there is a warmth, or life to it :)

I think part of the issue with it though, aside from the cost, is that it's available in primarily darker colors which surely can't work for everyone, but with her sweeping views and tons of natural light, the 'evergreen' is very effective in her house.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paperstone

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

This pic shows how we stepped down the cabinets on each end to echo the ceiling line.

• texasgal47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Holly-kay, thank you for taking the time to post all those bookshelf photos. I have vaulted ceilings also. It's interesting how you did the step-down to follow the ceiling. I think the seam looks quite acceptable. If fact, it isn't even noticed unless someone knows it's there. However, my counters would be painted a light cream with a brown glaze if I match the cabinets. Somehow I don't think a seam would be noticed that much either given how much would be grabbing for attention with displays on the bookshelves.
    Morz8, the paperstone looks like an interesting product but seems too dark and also too contemporary for my situation. I do have an excellent interior designer but she is unavailble for consultation until after May 15th as she has 3 major commercial jobs that are keeping her more than busy. I will probably wait until I can consult with her as her recommendations sometimes surprise me, but are usually right on the mark. She was the one who recommended the Dekota Mahogany granite for the kitchen and fireplace as well as the copper and black grasscloth for the accent wall in the breakfast room and the backs of the open wall cabinets. It took me a long time to warm up to the granite suggestion but now I love it. And when the wall cabinets are lit, the wallpaper is stunning.

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County