Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paint color/type for garage walls?

Posted by marvelousmarvin (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 4:10

I've got a water stain on the garage ceiling that I need to paint over to cover up so this means I'll paint the garage ceiling as well as the garage walls. It would look suspicious if the ceiling had a fresh coat of paint when everything else looked dingy.

But, what type of paint and paint color would work best for the walls in the garage? A quick google search suggested that grey is what you should paint a garage. But, then why does everybody use white for their colors in the garage?

What's good or bad about using grey or white for the garage?

And, if you're going to use non-white color for the garage, wouldn't you then choose to use the same colors you used for the interior of your home. The rest of the walls are a yellow color that I'm not crazy about, but I was trying to match it with the porcelain tiles flooring.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paint color/type for garage walls?

We used the same color that we have on the exterior siding- BM Camouflage. We love the color, a soft gray green. Looks great, so much nicer than plain white. I think of the garage as being part of the exterior, not interior of the house. I don't know what type of paint my husband used, probably BM's cheapest since it is just the garage.

o

I used a light gray - it seems to help hide marks well. I may try my hand at painting and just paint the front wall a different color....I'd love to use a hot pink/fushia - but, I doubt that would help resale. So, I'll just using something pretty and neutral that goes w/gray. Maybe even just a darker shade.

o

We did ours in BM cameo white which has a little warmth to it...garages can seem dirty and dingy so a bright warm white helps offset that.

o

Most garages are painted white because it's what the builder used throughout the house. New home owners seldom think to paint the garage and by the time they think of it they don't want to move the stuff that is being stored there.
My Sis painted her garage a beautiful medium green and I'm thinking of doing the same. I like patty's idea of using the same as the exterior, but since I have a brick home I think I have more options.

BTW, if you're not happy with the yellow, there's no reason it has to match the flooring. There are sooo many colors to choose from!

o

You need to use an alkyd primer to spot prime the water spot. Water based primers will just let water spots leach through. Then you can paint it any color you want as long as the leak that created the water spot is repaired and it won't return.

I'm fond of using a greyed green for garages as it tends to hide dirt a bit and echo the outdoors visible through the open garage door. It too seems to be more of an "exterior" space to me than interior.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here