Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michoumonster

kids shared bedroom roman shades-- please vote

michoumonster
10 years ago

Hi all, I am working on decorating and furnishing my kid's shared room now. so far, i plan to put in a train bed and a princess bed. i was leaning towards something on the plain side for the shades, part of the reason being that eventually my kids will each get their own room in 5 years or so, and this room will become a guest bedroom. though my priority is going to be making a fun room to help transition them to big boy and big girl beds.
I would love to hear your thoughts on what to do!

this is the current room with stripey paint. it has two windows (one out of view on other wall)

So here is option 1: plain shades in neutral color (probably a natural linen)

Transitional Kids by Mill Valley Interior Designers & Decorators Jute Interior Design

i felt like i should do something a little more fun though.. so here is option 2: fun valance with plain shades-

Modern Kids by Los Angeles Interior Designers & Decorators JAC Interiors

and here is option 3: plain shade with a little trim to make it a little more festive, but not too childish

or option 4: shade in a more subtle kid themed fabric (though this might have to be changed out sooner than the others?)

Traditional Kids by Princeton Interior Designers & Decorators Dennison and Dampier Interior Design

Comments (7)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I like option 3 for this reason: You want to keep them through to the room becoming a guest room. The solid roman shade will not become dated, esp. if you get them in a neutral color, while the trim gives them a little bit of interest and fun, but no too much.

I do think a salmon color, to match the top line, would be beautiful.

Maybe also keep the train bed and princess bed for the guests! ;-)

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

I like options 2 and 3. Either will look great now and could easily be modified to suit different tastes later on. I especially love a ball fringe - don't know why, but it just makes me smile.

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

I like options 1, 2 or 3, depending on which way you might go for the eventual guest room. For option 3, you could always change out the trim/trim color when you convert to the guest room. Option 1 is obviously neutral, and option 2 could be changeable by just changing the valance or the wall color.

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks for your feedback! i guess option 2 or 3 got the most votes. maybe i will start by doing option 3 and if it looks like it needs a little something else, i can add a valance..
    tibbrix, i am not sure guests would want to sleep in a twin sized bed, but that might be fun!

outsideplaying, i didn't think that trim could easily be removed or changed out, but i guess it can if i hand-stitch it would be very easy. thanks for the suggestion!

daisychain, i love those pompom fringes also, so i think i will definitely add that in.
    so what color of trim would you suggest if i do a tannish linen for the shade?
    would you do the green, a dark brown, a pumpkin, or a robins egg blue for the pompoms?

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

My first thought was robin's egg, but then I went back and looked at the picture. I think because of where the fringe will fall in relation to the stripe, you should do the pumpkin. It will show up best no matter what level the shade is at. I think the other colours will get lost and pumpkin will have the greatest impact.

• kitschykitch
    10 years ago

Option 3. Don't interfere with the lines. But, you want a little "something".

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I'd also go with that salmon/coral color because it's the top line, so it'll tie in well where it meets the shades, but also because, when you do get around to repainting to make it a more sophisticated guest room, coral is a beautiful color which goes with a LOT of other colors in very sophisticated and stylish ways.