Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stained doors, white molding?

Posted by msitalia (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 19, 11 at 1:26

We just moved into our house and the entire house has dark stained moldings and dark stained doors that are not in the best shape. All of the doors are 6 panel solid wood that we would be willing to have redone. I really love white moldings so here is the question - can you have dark stained doors and put white molding around it? If not, can you have white baseboard molding up to the molding around the door and then keep the molding around the door dark? What are your suggestions? I am not sure what will look good. I would appreciate any opinions. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stained doors, white molding?

A lot depends on the character of your house, the species of wood and how much work you want to do with stripping, staining and sealing. But, in general, I think white painted molding with stained doors looks awesome. I would keep trim consistent throughout, either paint it all or stain it all.

o

Stained doors and painted trim is a classic look. The reverse never looks right, IMO, and the combination of baseboards painted and casings stained would be really odd.
Casey

o

Not my house borrowed from Houzz.com
sonya  entry

Case Design/Remodeling, Inc. traditional entry

Crown Hill Remodel traditional entry

House with two souls contemporary entry

Stonebreaker Builders & Remodelers traditional staircase

Stonebreaker Builders & Remodelers traditional staircase

but I think stained doors and white trim look awesome. I've have the 3 entry doors into my house stained with white trim. Rest of the doors are painted white. I'd like to change them but it's not a priority since none of the interior doors can be seen from the exterior doors. No one's noticed they are mistmatched. Or been rude enough to comment. LOL

o

Stained doors and painted trim is beautiful and classic. Check out the link below. Go through the pictures of this house. There are a few with stained doors and painted trim. I think it looks great.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stained doors with painted trim

o

Thanks so much for all the feedback and pictures. I couldn't find pictures to get an idea of what it would look like but now I see it will look great. Thanks!

o

Goes MCM too:

o

I am so glad you posted these pictures!

I have 14 pocket doors that are hung with 6-panel, exterior maple doors. Nice and heavy. They're also unfinished.

I have replaced 3 of them with French doors (before I close in the walls) and love all of them. I couldn't decide whether or not to paint or stain! My reasoning was becoming that I could always paint stain, but couldn't stain paint.

Now, I'm going to stain them and paint trim. Cabinet Coat here I come! :)

o

ms, our daughter has all cherry doors in her house
with stained molding, it looks gorgeous.

her mud room

o
RE: Stained doors, white molding? more

o

I don't have any pictures but one of my neighbors just painted all the trim in her house white, and she has oak stained doors. It looks really nice.

o

My parents had mahogany stained doors with white trim in my childhood home. They did recently replace them with white paneled doors, though.

I hope no one minds if I piggyback on msitalia's question to ask a related one of my own. Do the doors into a room need to match the closet doors in that room? My parents offered to give me 3 of their aforementioned mahogany doors that are the right size for our bedroom/bathroom doors (one of which has a cat door cut into it). That would make the closet doors a different (fake) wood-tone, so I'd likely paint the closet doors and trim white. I originally thought I'd paint the mahogany doors white, too, but now I'm wondering if it would be okay to leave them stained.

o

jessicaml, I'd use them.
Could you afford 3 mahogany doors? :)
If they're older, chances are they have some great character.

I have French doors in one room, but a regular door into the main part of the house.

If anything, take one of them and make a great, huge table like they do on HGTV. [LOL]

o

I did this in my old house and in my new. Here is a photo...

Those are some yummy photos that others have posted too!!!

IMG_0375
IMG_0376

o

Christine - I don't know how much character the doors really have, I believe they're only 30 year old hollow core veneer, but they are much more attractive than our current doors! I think I'll take them up on it and see what it looks like. Thanks for the feedback!

(My inspiration photo of BM Sail Cloth from http://radiofreeanne.wordpress.com/ with the same color wood door as my hand-me-down doors)
dsc04206

o

I happened to mention to DH that I would love to start replacing the painted interiors with stained like we did for the exterior doors. He said he figured the was coming and he was okay with it!!

I thought it would be a battle. Yay me!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here