Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juddgirl2

RH Pulls or Costco solid brass for kitchen update? X-post

juddgirl2
10 years ago

X-post from kitchens.

I've been going back and forth between doing either a complete remodel of my kitchen or just some minor updating by painting the oak cabinets, installing hardware, and replacing the black appliances with stainless. I have my dream kitchen layout ready but now it seems we're very serious about selling the house and moving within the next 2 years so I'm leaning towards just an update.

A local real estate agent loves the house but suggested updating the kitchen by painting the cabinets and installing hardware, because this room really doesn't flow well with the rest of the house that's been remodeled. I'm thinking of painting the cabinets either BM Edgecomb Gray or SW Antique White and using ORB pulls and/or knobs. My question is what hardware should I get?

If this were my forever kitchen, I'd splurge and get Restoration Hardware pulls, perhaps choosing the RH Felicity or Hanson pulls in an ORB finish. With a budget update, however, I'm wondering if I should just get something that's good quality and looks nice but not spend too much $$ that I wont get back.

The USA Hardware pulls that are available through Costco are solid brass in a Venetian Bronze finish. The design is a bit contemporary for my style, but at a price of $25 for a 6-pack I would save around $300 by getting these instead of the RH (I need 42). One drawback is that there are no matching knobs in this finish and the pulls are only available in one size - 4.75", so I can't mix knobs and pulls or get larger pulls for my pantry cabinets.

What do you think - is having more choices available worth the higher RH price? I'd be spending about $500 for 42 RH pulls (maybe $400 if I wait for a sale) and $175 for the Costco pulls.

Costco solid brass pulls:

RH Felicity pulls:

My kitchen (the barstools have been replaced with rush-seat stools):

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (12)

• anninthedistrict
    10 years ago

If you are selling I would go with the Costco

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Agree. i actually like the less ornate pulls better.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

The costco look very similar to mind. Also, how do they feel in your hand...GF and I spent a lot of time feeling pulls to see if we liked them when we grabbed them.

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for your input.

AnnieDeighnaugh - I don't know that they actually have these pulls in the Costco stores, so I haven't been able to see how they feel. The shape looks like it would be easy to grab though, since they're arched and longer than a standard 3-4" pull.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I would paint the cabinets off-white instead of gray...I think it will appeal to more buyers.

I would go with Costco pulls..but you may find less expensive ones online at myknobs.com or coolknobsandpulls.com, etc..and you may be able to match knobs and pulls. I wouldnt spend a lot if you are planning to sell...buyers won't know if they are $2.00 or $20.00..and they may change them out anyway.

• crl_
    10 years ago

If you are doing this primarily for resale, I might wait until closer to when you are ready to go on the market. Even good home paint jobs will chip and show wear and I think two years out leaves the possibility that you will have to repaint or do a lot of touch ups.

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, joaniepoanie. I'll check out the knobs and pulls website. I agree many buyers wouldn't know the difference and some would probably plan on remodeling the kitchen anyway.

I would prefer to paint the cabinets the same antique white that we've used on all the trim and doors throughout the house. The reason I'm considering a different color is because of my granite counters. Another poster mentioned they appear to have a pinkish undertone and the yellowish antique white might make them appear more pink. I wouldn't want that! Edgecomb Gray looks like a warm neutral with a touch of red, and I thought this might tone down the counters.

Here's an inspiration picture of a kitchen if I paint the cabinets a color other than antique white. It looks like a light gray with espresso glaze pinstriping.

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Atlanta Kitchen & Bath Designers Creative Cabinets and Faux Finishes. LLC

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

I second checking the internet sellers, I used knobsnpulls.com and got my Hafele pulls for $2.50 each w/ free shipping. Had to buy the screws separately, though (for those particular pulls, many had screws included)

The paint color is difficult all right. I see the pink undertone in the granite too, and yet you want to be complimentary to the rest of the house's trim. I have wallpaper (here when I bought) on the stairs which I haven't wanted to pull yet, but it also has a definite pink-beige background that I wanted to de-emphasize. Plus I needed it to go with my existing upholstery in warm beige, sage green and yellow-tan. I used Behr cottage white which on its own reads a bit yellow, but it did work with the wallpaper. So there are other whites out there that can do what you are seeking.

Now I have Navajo white which has completely neutralized the pink, but it is a definite yellow more than white and too dark for your cabinets I would say.

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

crl - that's good advice although I would like to enjoy the painted cabinets myself a bit before selling. It's always something I wanted to do. We probably won't paint until later this year or early next, but after spending several hours cleaning these cabinets this weekend I'm so ready to install hardware now!

raee - thanks for the link. Any problems with returning hardware bought online though? I'll definitely try some sample boards before painting to see how the antique white might look with the counters.

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

juddgirl2, check out HD or Lowes. I have ordered pulls from HD simply b/c the returns are so easy. I was checking to see if they had any similar to your RH selection. I see they have other designs in 10-packs at a very inexpensive price.

I've always admired your home and the amazing transformation of the hutch in your entryway.

This post was edited by arapaho on Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 12:47

• Errant_gw
    10 years ago

I would definitely go with the less expensive hardware, since you will be selling. And like a few others have said, I actually like the look of those Costco pulls better.

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, arapaho :-) I hope I can update my kitchen so it works better with my foyer and other elements in the house. I'll check out Home Depot and Lowes hardware too.

Thank you, Errant. I think I like the Costco ones too. They don't have knobs in the same finish, unfortunately. I'm fine using all pulls but DH would prefer to use both. I'll see if I can find something similar but if not I might just get these. They also have a twisted iron pull that might work with my rustic floors.

This post was edited by juddgirl2 on Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 18:18