Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msjay2u

How to pick colors for your house

msjay2u
11 years ago

I wrote a post on my blog about picking door colors, trim colors and other colors on your house. Some photos came from here, some from Pinterest and some from me using Valspars paint visualizer.:

So here are my color thoughts I want to twist your arm into using share with you:

• Green house: Purple door, red door, or try turquoise if you're really edgy!

• Blue house. Red door, dark blue or Lime green if you're artsy!

• Brick houses: I will get to them later

• Pink color houses . Black door or a punchy color if you dare!

• Gray house. Red door or you can try the newest trend with yellow or orange.

• Brown or tan house. Green or yellow door or Blue for a little excitement.

• Yellow house. In my opinion any color door matches AND looks good on a yellow house. I love yellow houses but a real estate agent told me that yellow houses are the HARDEST houses to sell. One other agent verified that after they thought about it.

• White house. I am not going to add any photos of white houses cause we all see them, we know what they look like and basically any color will work on it..**yawn**

House and Window trim color: Okay this is an area I am not the best at... I have heard that if you have a small house paint the trim the same color as the house but who wants that? Alternatively you can paint it a shade lighter but if you want it to look more contemporary paint it two shades darker than the house color. The old rules were that you trim the house in white or beige but these days people are getting away from tradition. We all know that color brightens up our lives and we all crave for some free excitement (don't we?).

To keep the windows looking as large as possible, paint the trim around the windows the same as the window frames, either white or cream or black. Matching the trim to the actual windows will make them look bigger than if you break up the color by painting a dark trim around a white window or a white trim around a dark window.

Don't be scared!!!

Garage door color: Traditionally people paint their garage doors the same color as their house. **Yawn**. I think a wood garage door looks nice, or one that matches the trim or your front door.

Shutter color: The old way was to match your shutters to the roof color because it makes it...

Comments (38)

• maddybeagle
    11 years ago

THANK YOU! What a great post. I was just up early thinking about the possibility of plum accents with a green or yellow house at another thread and would love your opinion.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paint my bungalow!

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for commenting...I love these types of houses so I have many many ideas! I just so happened to have found the perfect color scheme for you!!!

{{gwi:2106107}}

What do you think?

• maddybeagle
    11 years ago

Oh! That definitely has possibilities. After seeing the red and purple bungalow-esque house I just posted on my thread, I'm intrigued by the idea of using red accents. I'm wondering if I might be able to use a red like that on the porch floor, which would not only be striking but useful, as the huge holly tree out front means that during berry season I always have red splats tracked across my porch anyway. :-)

For the plum accents, I think I prefer a purple that leans slightly more towards the blue end of purpleness than this one, but this is close. It is great to see these bold colors on a small-scale house with very similar lines to mine, including the cross-gable.

• Holly- Kay
    11 years ago

I adore the look of painted brick. Our country home is cedar and stone and a transitional type home. Definitely not contemporary or traditional. Our home on the other side of town is a lovely brick. Last year we put a new roof on in black. Ditched the burgundy front door and shutters and went with white trim and black shutters. It looks so much nicer now but after seeing this post I am tempted to paint the brick a creamy, buttery yellow.

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ohhhhhh yes I say DO IT. I love love love yellow painted brick. I am an appraiser and I was appraising some newly built town homes and the builder told me he had them on the market but no one was buying and he did not understand why. He had painted the brick white. After he gave me permission to tell him my opinion I told him the townhouses were beautiful and nicely built and very very nice on the inside with wood shelves in the closets vs wire shelves and a lot of nice things you hardly ever see in new construction BUT the white bricks look terrible! When I got to my office I emailed him some photos of townhomes in soft pastel colors and told him I like them all but I love love love the yellow. I kid you not...he painted them yellow and they were all sold within a month.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    11 years ago

I'll give you that certain styles can take a palate of color, but if anyone in our town dared to paint their Mediterranean house pink with turquoise trim (it exists), they would be dubbed illegals.

Any colors work with the Victorian style, but not everywhere.

This post was edited by desertdance on Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 17:55

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You are right about that because I have seen some Victorians in Rhode Island that had all the wrong colors on them.

• anele_gw
    11 years ago

MsJay, that was very helpful for my living room. You are giving me hope that I can work with my new paint color. Tsk, tsk for me for breaking my #1 rule . . .don't rush your choice! (I'm regretting it!) :)

Desertdance . . .OMG . . .not an "ILLEGAL." How horrible! Guess you wouldn't want a Pulitzer Prize winner in your 'hood, huh? One of them is an ILLEGAL. I just call people "humans" regardless of their status as a citizen. Silly me!

Here is a link that might be useful: Jose Antonio Vargas

• anele_gw
    11 years ago

PS, MsJay I looked at your blog and it is awesome! Love your house!!!!

Can you add a "follow me on Pinterest" link to it? :)

• jojo123456789
    11 years ago

How appropriate..we just resided our house and am deciding in a front door color..was thinking red or cranberry..I do not like orangey or yellow reds..just not me...

• maddybeagle
    11 years ago

MsJay, just catching up with your blog. It IS great. And I owe you an immediate debt: my house is full of radish reds and I had not previously hit on the right term to describe that color. It's right on!

However, so far I've only used it in fabrics and rugs and have not found the perfect paint. jojo123456789, I love the idea of a radishy red on your door. MsJay or anybody else, have you found just the right radish-red paint color? I would seriously consider it as a tertiary accent color on my house if I could find the right one.

• mom270
    11 years ago

I have always read the opposite about yellow houses, that they sell quickly. I "googled" it. The first thing that popped up was a blog "Hooked on Houses" where real estate expert Barbara Corcoran said lighter colors are more attractive than darker ones and the majority of house hunters don't like brown houses. She claimed white houses are the most desirable. The author of the blog said when she painted her house yellow, it sold almost immediately. Definitely, it's "To each their own" and "Take what you read on the internet with a grain of salt."

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! As for the illegals remark...wow...read it like illegals meaning color criminals...for some reason I didn't get the race thing till now. ouch and shame on you!!!!! We should be over that in this day and age.
    Anele was wondering how to do the pinterest thing yesterday. Will do when I figure it out. Jojo cranberry hits it on the head.I think that would look beautiful!! Carinr thank you... Red its the hardest color for me to hit on the right shade just remember if you do go with red use a steel blue primer under it...not paint with prime and not color matched primer...GRAY. :-)
    Sunny...probably won't make a difference anyway

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I believe I said I love yellow houses. Anyway every market is different and I doubt anyone can say all yellows houses sell or don't sell all over the US and in every neighborhood. I only passsed on what I heard and you are right you can't believe everything you read on the net but you sure can consider it or use it for inspiration. I do what I like to my house and if yellow is what I am feeling then yellow is what it will be. if I decide to sell I might change the color because only then will I care what buyers want in a house. I say do what makes you happy while you are there

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

Thanks, msjay2u. It just took me by surprise to read that comment this morning.

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah... It did me also when I understood the gist.

• anele_gw
    11 years ago

MsJay, I found something for a Pinterest "follow me" button. (Link below.)

SunnyC, I always think it is worth it. If we read something racist and say nothing, IMO it is as though we agree w/the person. Silence on such matters = acceptance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

I tend to agree with you, Anele - however, it's not unheard of for someone to speak out in these forums and be accused of jumping to conclusions / trying to incite. I didn't feel like "going there" today. But I do applaud your words. :-)

• anele_gw
    11 years ago

SC, true, but there was no jumping to conclusions . . .unless, as MsJay suggested, it would be illegal to paint certain colors. :) You know . . .maybe a historic area or tough subdivision.

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We all have our personal tastes and you are certainly entitled to yours. I am an Appraiser and in the past everyone had the same white, yellow, beige and grey houses and maybe there was an occasional splash of color (usually only on a door) and the general consensus was that these were the acceptable colors because it helps to hold the resale value. I see a different trend now. I personally think it stems from 1- the popularity of do-it-yourself shows and 2- people are fixing up vs buying new houses and a lot of people are trying to make their mark on their house and want it to represent them and are less concerned with doing everything with resale value in mind which is the true basis of using neutral colors. You can always paint over it when its time to sell.

This may offend you or make you cringe and that's your right not to paint anything any color other than neutrals or "organic colors" (whatever that means because an organic pallet is different for different people/areas/cultures and I can't think of one color that is not found in nature) but that does not mean anyone is wrong for expressing themselves.

I have people who originally said they don't like what I am doing to my house but funny thing is today I got two calls from elderly neighbors asking if I know the number of a cheap house painter. LOL. I did not ask why and time will tell what colors start showing up in my neighborhood.

My last house had a deep mauve kitchen (my favorite color) with white appliances, cabinets and shelves. My mother told me it will never sell with that bold kitchen and white appliances and she advised me to paint it yellow (everyone loves a yellow kitchen she said) but one month after it was on the market this lady brought it because she LOVED the kitchen colors and she later sold the house and guess what? She never painted the kitchen and she sold it with the same mauve kitchen.

So my point here is everyone has a right to their opinions, we all have them but we also must keep in mind that there are different strokes for different folks and if you don't like any of the colors I talk about guess what? You don't have to use them. I personally can't see myself ever living in a house with certain features or colors but just because I don't like them it does not make me "cringe" or compel me to put anyone down in such strong language. I was merly talking about trends and depending on where you live dictates if you are seeing them or not.

Sometimes people go out of their way to put other people down...that's not my style. Saying the colors posted is not your choice is okay, saying that you prefer neutral colors is okay, saying you don't like red doors is okay but saying the colors I depicted make you "cringe" and all the other things you said was not something I would personally go out of my way to say to anyone but that's just like I would not call anyone an illegal since the only legals are Native Americans ... but...

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Anele I tried to post that pinterest widget on my blog but it did not work (boooooo). It won't post here either

Here is a link that might be useful: My Pinterest boards

• Vertise
    11 years ago

"Sometimes people go out of their way to put other people down...that's not my style. "

Then why all the yawns at the traditional colors used here in the States? I don't think that's any better than someone stating your ideas make them cringe. No small wonder she was moved to respond in kind.

"So tell me: have I changed your mind about color or inspired you in any way? Leave a comment if I did!! I'd love to hear your thoughts!!"

Not in the least. What a turn off.

People should be respectful of the neighborhood they move into and its style. Going neon with extreme colors on the exterior, out of context, would not fly in most. But you know that.

We are all illegals? What a joke.

Advertising your blog on GW is against their policies. That seems to be the purpose of this thread. There is a fee. That's how they keep this place going.

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

1 Yawn is a whole lot? You must live in a white house and if I offended you I pologize for that as it was not my purpose to offend you with the word *Yawn*

I am not advertising anything I am not selling anything. I don't have paid ads or affiliate links on my blog either so unless I post a link to my blog for financial gain I am within the guidelines. In fact maybe YOU need to read the guidelines:
    ...You agree not to send via the GardenWeb Network or post on forums or any other place on the GardenWeb Network any message or material of any kind or nature that is unlawful, harassing, libelous, defamatory, abusive, threatening, harmful, vulgar, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, racially offensive, inaccurate or otherwise objectionable material or that encourages conduct that could constitute a criminal offense, gives rise to civil liability, otherwise violates any applicable local, state, national or international law or regulation, or encourages the use of controlled substances....

Hmmmm...I think you might be in violation snookums.

Talking about painting doors a color for people who are too stupid to find it, extreme criticism and/or making racial comments are not within Gardenwebs policies. I have nothing more to say to you. The purpose of this thread was by no means to argue with you about web ettiquete or whether you like what I posted or not. You can just keep it moving. You said you don't like it, it has been duly noted if that makes you feel any better. Not sure what your purpose is now but I am done with it.
    {{gwi:2106109}} (hamsa)
    If you continue to violate Gardenwebs terms you will be reported!

• Vertise
    11 years ago

You certainly have an awful lot to say about other people's posts and opinions. Funny how you seem to think you are the only one who is entitled to state their opinions or respond to unfavorable comments. I'm afraid you opened the door to this "extreme criticism" by the multiple yawns and such, later going to the extent to call us all illegals. No different at all. But only you can do the hand slapping, huh. The rest of us are supposed to shut up and watch our language.

You actually asked what people thought about the bright or unusual colors you posted for exteriors.

I think house colors should relate to the house itself, to its environment and overall context. There are places what you refer to as "color" works and places it doesn't. That's from a design point of view not a freedom to do as we please or fear of real "color" (as you see it) point of view.

No, GW does not permit bloggers to use their site to link.

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Carinr I moved some of my photos around on photobucket and as a result I messed up some of my links on posts. I believe this is the house that I had posted for you for color inspiration

I will also post it in your thread
    Thanks

• maddybeagle
    11 years ago

I, for one, was very happy to learn about a new design/diy blog I hadn't seen before. I can't imagine why, if people can share images of their progress on their houses posted on photo-hosting sites, they shouldn't share links to blogs where they post the same kind of information. It makes for a richer resource for everybody for design discussions here.

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Caninr...I am not sure if I missed anything in the terms and conditions but I did not see where it is against any rules as long as I am not selling anything or soliciting anyone for money.

People do it all the time and I have found many fantastic blogs, photo albums and such through links, not to mention friends.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardenwebs Terms of Service

• mom270
    11 years ago

For me the personality and demeanor of the OP is a turn-off. Fortunately, there's hundreds of design blogs.

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well when it was posted it was all in fun and somehow that all got turned around. Sometimes written words can be read in a context that was not meant to be be, attitudes can be heard where there is none. No harm was intended on my part.

• Pipdog
    11 years ago

msjay2u, what do you have against white houses? I'm not sure what you mean by "you must live in a white house".

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nothing. I said that specifically to two people because they seemed to take offence at me saying I was not going to talk about white houses because every color door matches it and me talking about it would bore the reader. This thread took a very strange turn though.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    11 years ago

"I am not advertising anything I am not selling anything. I don't have paid ads or affiliate links on my blog either so unless I post a link to my blog for financial gain I am within the guidelines."

Really? Then why is this on your blog?

"If you are interested in advertising on my blog, which, by the way, gets a few hundred hits a day, please feel free to email me. It would be an ideal situation for you to do it now while I am only mildly popular because you know what?"

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OMG REALLY? You went through all that trouble to find something to bash me about on here? That is so unexpected from a Gardenwebber. I have been on here for 4 or 5 years and I have never seen anything like this before!! Quite childish really.

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pardon me...I just checked. I have been on here six years.

• Sharon Jennifer
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

My new cozy home is so hideous outside !! I need help what color should i paint shutters and trim and rails ...I am open to anything!!! I'm artsy and love color but also would like to have

it tasteful

• Olychick
    8 years ago

You might want to start your own thread asking for help. It's a cute house and you'll get some great advice.

• sherry r.
    8 years ago

Mustard colored spanish arches, dark red door. Now figuring out the wood... I was wanting to pull the dark brown/taupe out of the brick. Or go light? It seems like most of your pics go creamy white. I was thinking dark. Too colorful?