Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to achieve faint tint to white/eggshell paint

Posted by seeker12 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 29, 12 at 0:47

From reading this helpful forum, I realize there's a whole art and science to choosing paint, and I'm a rank amateur who needs help!

What I'd like to achieve is off-white walls that have a faint peach tint in incandescent lamplight and early evening sunlight--and any other time it's possible. Nothing too obvious, but with a hint of peach to give a touch of warmth. This is for a living room, dining area and kitchen that flow together.

What should I know and does anyone have suggestions on brands, colors and mixture ratios? I'm willing to paint samples on foam core, as someone helpfully suggested on a post here, and place around the room to see how it looks.

Love this forum and the generosity of advice and support. Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to achieve faint tint to white/eggshell paint

Most paint brands have a whole selection of 'whites' - all with varying tints in them. Start there, but don't be surprised if you end up with something different than what you expected in order to achieve the look you want. The furnishings, floor color, the direction from which the natural light enters the space, all affect the appearance of the walls.

Have fun, and good luck!

o

Start with the white base. Add red oxide and yellow oxide, 1/64th of an ounce of each. That's the smallest most tint machines can dispense. You can add more, but that's where to start if you want the faintest peach tint possible.

o

I was just experimenting with some pale tints. I think that Benjamin Moore white blush may have that peachy tone you want, though it's much more tinted than white. I'd ask the paint store to mix a couple of custom samples -- 50-50% white/white blush mixture and 75-25% white/white blush and see how they look. (Or use whatever other pale color catches your eye.)

I noticed that Behr paints, available at Home Depot, also has a nice range of pale colors. I think they will also custom mix samples.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here