Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Punchlist item #2

Posted by pesky1 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 0:36

The window in the front room. I really have a love/hate relationship with this window. It's a small bay, and there is no ceiling space above it, so WT are impossible. What is there right now is temporary-the draperies used to be on the outside of the window area under the valance (which is mounted on the wall outside the bay). as a decorative feature The window was added by the PO years after the house was built, so it's mostly just a bump out, not a true bay window area. We recently lost a tree in the front yard, so now the window is very open and I need to be able to close it off if necessary.

We're not concerned about privacy, but I am concerned about temperature. This window faces south, and with no tree to provide shade, I'm worried it's going to get really hot in there come summer.

When we bought the house, there were mini-blinds in the window and I pulled those out immediately! Now I'm leaning toward blinds again-I'd probably go with faux wood from JC Penny as I'll need to custom order to fit. I would then get rid of the drapes and the valance all together. I plan to just keep this area for plants-as I said, it's awkward, too small to do anything with, and I don't want to add a window seat.

So, blinds or maybe even roman shades? Problem with shades would be that there is just not a lot of clearance at the top, the WT would have to be mounted in the window frames and I'd be concerned it might impede some of the sightline. Also, how would it look from the outside when the shades were lowered?

I am open to ANY and all suggestions-including different drapes-seriously, I'm willing to do anything!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Punchlist item #2

I would do simple blinds -- wood blinds seem like a good option -- and nothing else. With all the plants, etc., you have enough going on without adding drapes or curtains.

o

I agree with Sue. A lighter wood roman shade and nothing else. It will minimize the visual clutter.

A bay window is a wonderful feature. I'd probably exile the plants, get a small drop leaf table and chair and soak up the sun myself. But, I also understand the love of plants.

Haven't seen you posting recently. Hope all is well.

o

I have a similar area but my windows are curved which makes anything AT the window a challenge. Unfortunately, privacy is a factor for me.

Personally, I'd edit out some of the plants so that the ones remaining really set off the area. Do you keep the plants there in the cold temps? If you arent concerned about cold on the plants, I'd add panels that could be drawn across in the coldest months -- better for insulation... and if you don't need privacy (and if you like the view), I'd leave the window area itself as is.

o

Thanks for the opinions. Wood blinds are what I'm leaning toward-will go with white, as the fireplace is white and it looks very crisp with the room.

The plants are a mishmash for now-I plan to reorganize it when I'm ready to tackle that room later this summer. I'm not worried about cold-we don't get that cold, but it's the heat that will be an issue. I like to sit in that room and look out-we just created a new wildlife area where the tree we took out was located. So it's fun to see the birds and critters.

That entire room is going to get a make over-the floor is in very bad shape so i'm going to paint it, and while i'm at it, am considering painting the walls, too. Might go for a creamy tan, but keep the blue in accents-the sofa in that room is also that blue shade.

Thanks for asking Dee-I am well. Finally getting my decorating mojo back and finishing up projects around the house.

o

If you don't need it for privacy, I would try to live without for awhile to see if it does get hot. Typically, in the summer, the sun is high and very little comes into southern facing windows. In the winter, when the sun is lower, more of it does. We used that principle for making our home solar tempered. In the dead of winter, the sunlight reaches 15' into the room. In the height of summer, it barely skims the window.

That is not true of a western window where the sun pours in most of the year when it starts to set. So western exposures can get really hot in the summer.

If you don't want a window seat, perhaps you might consider building in a plant shelf...make the top water impervious like a stone-look formica, or a metal surface. I find a lot of my plants actually prefer the cooler night time temps and warmer daytime temps from being near a window.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here