Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coordinating paint color with wood floor color

Posted by sand1502 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 0:31

Hi,
I am thinking of using revere pewter by Benjamin Moore for our entryway. It's a great color but we have warm colored/red mahogany colored wood floors. Would the cool tones of revere pewter clash with the floors? Would a warmer color be better or would the contrast be a good thing?

Thank you in advance. This is my first home and I am new to painting, it can be difficult to pick the right colors!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coordinating paint color with wood floor color

Please read this link! Basically, she's saying wood floors are like denim jeans in that they go with everything.

http://www.mariakillam.com/the-colour-of-wood-vs-wall-colour-how-important-is-it-really/

o

Thank you! That is good to know :)

o

Revere pewter is a little warmer gray anyway because of the tan in it. I would highly recommend getting a test pot and painting some poster boards and move them around the room to be sure you like it. It is amazing how different colors can look in a room.

o

Painting is the last thing you should do. Get all your furnishings in the room and all your accessories, and that will dictate the color walls you should have. Paint is easy to mix. The rest is hard to get right.

o

I have medium oak-look laminate floors with a reddish/orange hue. I also used Revere Pewter in the living room - they seem to play nice together.

I will say that I find the R.P. appears lighter on my walls than what I see in other's photos. I would have preferred a darker shade.... but, after approx 40 different pint testers, I gave up, because *every* color looked pinkish on my walls. (Edgecomb gray looked green)

HTH

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here