Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
TV components - Remote working through fabric instead of glass?

Posted by sherwhy (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 11, 10 at 0:28

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has used cloth in place of glass in cabinet doors for your tv equipment. I know there is speaker cloth and it's usually black or dark brown. Has anyone used antique linen cloth, something with a larger weave? If so could you tell me where to find it?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: TV components - Remote working through fabric instead of glas

Infrared signals usually need a clear line of site (although some remotes have greater LED capability and a broader signal). You could certainly try a large weave fabric to see if it works, but the signals are all coded so it would be a challenge. Linen is usually more of a tighter weave than the typical speaker fabric. I say give it a test and see if it works.

o

Burlap might have a loose enough weave - try Walmart.

o

There is a gizmo that allows you to keep components like a DVD player behind closed doors and still use your remote control. I think it is called a remote extender. It changes the remote signal to a radio frequency. The extender is a small box and it would need to be visible in order to work, but you would be able to hide all the other components.

Someone over on the Electronics Forum could probably give better info, if you are interested.

o

We use a remote control extender on the TV in the keeping room. Works great!

Here is a link that might be useful: remote control extender

o

The extender is perfect. Just like the link shows, it converts the IR over to allow the item to work. All our equipment is in the office and our universal remote works with the extender and makes the items work. When we added cable tv the receiver was IR so we just use the converter and it turns the box on. Technology is so great for this component stuff.

o

I have wood doors that stay closed on my EC. We had an IR Repeater installed so we could still use the remotes through the door. Works great!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here