Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help me with punch list choices

Posted by pesky1 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 0:26

I finally finished two huge projects so now I have time to work on smaller punch list things-and I have access to a handy man for a short time, so I need to take advantage while I can!

I need to add molding around the kitchen door. Paint the kitchen door. Add WT to a bay window in the front room, and I need to paint the top of my desk in my craft room.

I'm going to have to post pix one at a time...sorry!

First up-kitchen door. We had a fireproof steel door put in, but haven't replaced the molding. I don't know that I want to put back the thick black molding we had before. There is a piece on the right. The same molding is in a few other places in the kitchen, and is around the floor in the kitchen and adjacent eating area. It also surrounds the windows in the eating area, but not the kitchen. The overall vibe is rustic-but I'm just not sure I want to put it around this new door. Other option would be to just use traditional door molding-but if I do that, should I paint it black? Or the creamy color of the upper cabs? The lower cabs are dark espresso.

And the door-what color? The wall color or the color of the cabs? If so, dark or light? Or just gloss white? The counters are black tile and backsplash is the same red as the dining area-there is no gloss white in the kitchen at all. This door NEEDS to be painted-it's pre-primed and I cannot wash off the finger prints!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help me with punch list choices

I would keep the trim molding consistent, but would paint the door and trim to blend into the wall...I don't see the door as a focal point you'd want to have stand out.

o

What trim is in the rest of the house? Is the trim that was around the door around any other doors? Is it the same as the strip near the ceiling on the left?

If the trim is consistent with the rest of the kitchen, it would look best to put it back around the door, UNLESS you plan on replacing all the trim in the kitchen. And that is what I would probably do, because I like trim in a house to be consistent. But then, I am only seeing 4 feet of your house.

Oh, and I'd paint the door the same as your upper cabinets, which appears to be the same color as the wall.

This post was edited by marti8a on Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 13:08

o

Marti, my house has different molding in nearly every room. The kitchen and dining area have a thick, rustic black trim throughout.

My daughter suggested painting the door red, the same color as the backsplash and eating area-but I think that'd be too much-my kitchen is miniscual. So i think the wall color-it's a bit different than the upper cabs, but still light. I am just a bit worried that with the black, thick trim it might be heavy-I've become accustomed to the door sort of fading away since there's been no trim on it since we installed it. Maybe I'll mock up some normal molding, that would be painted to match the wall/door.

o

Paint it the color of the wall and upper cabs. If you go dark, it will make an already small kitchen look smaller. Use semi-gloss so you can wash any future finger prints that show up on the door.

o

In that case, I'd use the same trim that is in the rest of the kitchen, the same as the piece that is there? It would be much easier not to take that one piece out because it might loosen your tile.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here