Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kobes51

Edeevee: per your request info on painting diamond pattern

badgergal
10 years ago

Edeevee, Sorry that it has taken me awhile to respond to your request for a thread about the painting technique that was used to make the diamond pattern on one of my master bedroom walls.
For those that didn't see the picture I previously posted, here it is once again. (I don't have a picture of the whole wall but it is approximately 15' long by 12' high with one doorway.

I wish I could take credit for getting the diamonds perfectly placed on the wall but I hired a painter to do the work. He is the same guy that did these perfect stripes on a wall in my great room.

In both rooms, I wanted the pattern to be subtle so instead of using two different colors for the pattern I used one color with two different sheens.

In both rooms, the painter painted the walls first with semi-gloss paint. In the great room he taped off the stripes and used the same color in a flat finish on every other stripe.

In my bedroom instead of using flat paint for the alternating diamonds he actually used a matte polycrylic product over the semi gloss. I am not sure why he did it a different way than he had previously done in my great room. The effect is the same as with the flat paint.

Painting the diamonds is a lot more prep work than painting the stripes. The painter did a lot of measuring and calculating before making the lines for the diamonds. He used some type of straight edge that he had rigged with bubble levels.

Sorry I don't know the exact step by step procedure he used. I found instructions on the Sherwin William's website so I linked it below. I am sure that there are many other websites with directions for painting diamond or stripes

Perhaps more knowledgable GWers on this forum will weigh in with instructions or tips.

My painter also did a very nice stenciling technique in a small powder room. Again I wanted subtly. The stencils are placed randomly around the room. When you are in the room you have to look around to see them but then they are like a nice little surprise.

The colors are off in this picture ( as in- the towel is actually dark green not brown and the walls are a sage green not gold) but hopefully you can see the flower stencils on the wall.

Good luck with your project edeevee. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful but maybe someone else will be.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sherwin Williams website instructions

This post was edited by badgergal on Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 0:52