Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
radley_gw

paint color dilema...greige

radley
10 years ago

Looking for a greige for our hallways. It should not read green since we have green in the LR and DR and are not looking to compete with that. Thinking about Benjamin Moore Edgecomb Gray or Balboa Mist.

Help would be great, and so needed so we don't we spend lots of money on paint to deliver to the recycling dump (again).

Also, looking for a very pale blue paint color to go with a delft blue bedspread in the guestroom.

Thanks!!!!

Comments (10)

• jewelisfabulous
    10 years ago

I love my "greige" -- it's Sherwin Williams Nantucket Dune. It's very true and doesn't have undertones of green or pink.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i liked BM glacial till for our bathroom-- a nice griege, but leans more beige than gray...

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

Edgecomb doesn't read green at all. In my North-facing bedroom it actually has the very faintest of purple undertones which makes it seem almost like a very light mushroom. More attractive than it sounds! It is quite light but just a bit darker than an off white.

Try a big sample before you commit to a few gallons :)

• crl_
    10 years ago

Revere pewter is another popular option. It doesn't read at all green in my space.

For a pale blue, you could look at patriot white.

I will second testing big samples and make sure you look at them in all lights on all walls before deciding. I paint my samples on poster board or foam board rather than on walls so (1) I can see them on all walls, (2) I don't have to prime over them or do extra coats over them before painting, (3) I can keep the samples for future projects.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

The very best greige is BM smokey taupe, it's just so darn yummy and always looks true greige.

• beachpea3
    10 years ago

Another vote for BM Revere Pewter - but only if you buy a sample and try it in all different lights. In my hallway it reads more beige and in the dining room it reads more gray. It is a very restful color.

• radley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, thanks for the help.

Bought samples of Balboa Mist and Edgecomb today. In the hallway of my townhouse Balboa turned greenish. So that's out. Edgecomb is much better but seemed to have a slight peachy tone. But the revolting builder beige we inherited with our house when we bought it is a beige-peach-tan and it may be "corrupting" the others. Goes to show what happens in different lights. NO wait, now that is has dried, it is a lovely mushroom.

Jewel654 - I'll go off to SW to see Nantucket.

BM Glacial - will check it out too.

Thanks CRL and beachpea3 - Revere Pewter is pretty but the hall doesn't have a window so I'm trying for a light colour.

Yayagal, will find smokey taupe.

My first thought was to paint the halls Cloud White in eggshell (the trim though the house is CW). Has anyone see how that works? I love Cloud White - warm and light for places without windows but I know eggshell can look different from semigloss. Most of the rest of the house is painted in a pale celadon green (something like a pale grayed celery).

Thanks again guys!!!!

• radley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Alright, I think I am in love.

Edgecomb Gray starts peachy, turns oddly green, and then dries to a scrumptious mushroom.

And by in love, I mean that I'm thinking of changing my last name to Comb and running away with Edge.

I now see what the fuss was about.

And Totally, thanks for your feedback about RP. It is the lighting. This is my 3rd house and every one reads paint colours differently (and two of those houses are only about 10 miles apart).

So, going to wait for DH to weigh in, but Edgecomb is pretty special. Here the background under-colour is probably faintest pink under a gray/taupe.

Thanks again everyone.

• Sms
    10 years ago

Check out BM Natural Cream (OC -14 )