Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catsgurleygirl

Back Patio Help

catsgurleygirl
10 years ago

Hello,
We recently moved into this new (to us) house, and I was wondering if I could get some input about creating a shade space on the patio. The house has a formal feel to it, so it is more difficult, esp. to this casual woman. The formal livingroom looks out onto the patio, and when you first walk in the door, the line of sight takes your eye right out into the backyard/patio space. We have half moon windows in the formal living room, so anything covering them would look bad. I am afraid a pergola just wouldn't fit the feel of the house-nothing I have considered seems to, so I am just stuck. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!!

P.S. The furniture in the photo isn't mine, it was taken before we bought the house.

Comments (9)

• catsgurleygirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Also, just to show, this is how it looks from the inside (shot before we moved in).

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I think you need a nice oval or rectangular table out there, with six chairs, and a gigantic (11' or 12' span) rectangular market umbrella that fits down a center hole in the table into a base that rests on the ground under the table. This would be the logical choice for your home, if the grill indicates you're planning on eating al fresco.

If you want a seating area, you will need a large offset umbrella, which may not look exactly right for your formal setting. There's not really a good place to attach a retractable awning, since you seem to have three competing rooflines, and the Australian sunshades that are gaining in popularity would have to be carefully planned both to provide the shade you need (for time of day, intensity of sun, etc) and to keep it from looking like a circus tent back there.

Congratulations on your new home, btw!! It looks substantial and spacious, and I'm sure you will love the outdoor space once it is properly tamed :-)

This post was edited by kswl on Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 4:57

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I had the same thought as KSWL - an umbrella. Although, my first thought was a pergola, until I continued reading.

Which way does that room face? That is an important factor.

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

I think you could do a nice more formal pergola there that would suit the style of the home. However, what throws me off if the fact that the windows are not centred on the patio.

What about doing a pergola with curved beams to mimic the lines of the windows? There are some lovely ideas out there that can incorporate a removable cover. Click through the link or google "pinterest formal pergolas" for other ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: pergola ideas

• teacats
    9 years ago

Another vote for considering (in the future) adding on to your existing roof -- and creating a covered patio.

Depending on winds -- there are lots of temporary patio covers that might work well out there too!

Yes -- start with checking out sites like Costco or Target -- and look at their outdoor furnishings ....

Just like an indoor room or space -- first -- try to decide how you want to use it -- sitting around a table? sitting on an outdoor sofa or sectional? Having a space to create an outdoor grilling station? or even (in the future) expanding the space and adding an outdoor "kitchen"?

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest -- covered patios

• fnmroberts
    9 years ago

Your patio is fairly enclosed and an umbrella or Shade sail may be the safe route.

But, we have a breakfast area in our kitchen overlooking our patio onto which we installed a pergola. It is not a visual barrier looking from indoors onto the back lawn. I've linked photos - the bump-out you'll notice on the house locates the kitchen table.. Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Back yard and Patio

• catsgurleygirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for all the great feed back. I really like the umbrella idea. They have some nice ones at Costco right now. Maybe a pergola down the line, but an umbrella is nice and affordable for now, lol. Here is a pic of what we have going on, I know the shadow is ridiculous, but it's the best pic for now. Pardon the plants, working hardening them off. There is a fire pit between the two chairs that hubby was not willing to get rid of, so that is the only space it would fit halfway decently. Thanks!!

• violetwest
    9 years ago

I think an umbrella would work well for now. As you have only just moved in, it makes sense to live through a year's worth of sun and shade to see if you really need something else, and where.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    9 years ago

Not to your question, but eventually you may want to incorporate an arbor to mimic the window shape and have it lead from the edge of the patio to a pathway somewhere.