Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Please show me your alarm clock.

User
10 years ago

I really like our master bedroom and everything looks like it belongs except the alarm clocks. They do what they're supposed to, but that's the only nice thing I can say about them.

I didn't really begin my search yet, but I like the look of the small silver and brass clocks. I'm not that they have a snooze though. ?

What does yours look like?

*Edited to note - I don't wish to use my cell as an alarm.

This post was edited by sheesharee on Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 4:09

Comments (39)

• vedazu
    10 years ago

Cell phone.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

It's about 70 inches, weighs about 160 pounds and bald. Has never failed me yet. Can wake up any time requested to. Not sure why. Even at a ripe old age, still works. Just discipline, I guess. You can have your phone call you if you have voice mail and set it for 2-3 times within 15 minutes of each other.

This post was edited by patricia43 on Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 0:31

• crl_
    10 years ago

Really cute four year old who sadly never sleeps in. On the rare occasion that I need to get up earlier than she does, I use my cell.

• lee676
    10 years ago

o

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My DH uses both his cell and an alarm clock to be sure he gets up. I have no desire to use my cell. I probably should've mentioned that to begin with.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Does ticking annoy you?

• hhireno
    10 years ago

Does ticking annoy you?
    In a bomb yes, in an alarm clock no.

Sorry, couldn't resist. No advice about clocks. Most are unattractive. A few are quaintly retro (LL Bean moonbeam clock I think it's called). In your search look for office desk clocks. My husband has a charming little brass clock on his desk. I'm not sure it has an alarm.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

I have the LL Bean retro. I'm on my second one because I messed up the first.

Love it. A "moonbeam" lights up, and if that doesn't work, the alarm will go off.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I have a cute retro-style alarm clock that I got from Target. No ticking, though I think it's supposed to glow in the dark but it really doesn't, so I can't see the time if I try to check in the middle of the night. DH has one of the ugly ones, you know, the standard clock radio, because he insists on waking up to music. Mine might be the Threshold brand but I'm not entirely sure. But try Target.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

I rarely need one except for early vacation flights. Then I usually use my cell phone but we also have a Bose radio/clock and I've used that also. Not a decorative accessory, that's for sure but I no longer make myself crazy about that - this is life and sometimes things just need to do a job and if they're not pretty, oh well. Not implying that you are making yourself crazy about this!! Some things that bug me would probably make you shrug with indifference - we all have our *issues* ;-)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Lol@Patricia43.

Do you want an alarm alarm or wake up by radio?

Best I've ever been awoken by is a Bose Sound Wave radio. both the radio and alarm bell start very low and gradually increase in sound level, so it's not like getting hit over the head with a cast iron pan.

• SunnyCottage
    10 years ago

This is mine. Every. Single. Day.

• sas95
    10 years ago

Same here, SunnyCottage. Our cats do not allow us to oversleep. Or sleep in, for that matter.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I want sunnycottage's alarm clock! It's the prettiest I've ever seen.

Seriously, even though I have two pupsters I use my Bose radio. It really is ugly though, at least in my very traditional looking bedroom. When I finally retire I am going to use the Bose in my home office and get a cute retro looking one. Actually when I retire I will probably not need an alarm clock!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No ticking. Oh, I need an alarm, alarm clock. A really annoying one preferably. I used to think mine was annoying, but somewhere along the way I've learned to slap the snooze in my sleep and sometimes not hear it on the first go. (Or second.) For some reason I still like a snooze.

I'll check out some of the suggestions mentioned. In the end I may end up with a similar type like I already have, but less bulky and black. As much as I like the look, I could see knocking a cute little silver or brass one off the stand. :)

Jen - LOL. When my one cat was much younger he used to try and wake me up by licking my eyelids. I love him dearly, but yuck!

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

I was thinking of getting one that shakes the bed :)

I can't see without my glasses so I have a projection clock alarm. puts the time on the ceiling in big red numbers.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I bet you could jury-rig a cast iron frying pan on the wall behind your pillow, put it on a timer, and have it whack you on the head each morning, then slowly rise back into position.

• teacats
    10 years ago

Waving to SunnyCottage -- Hi!!! :) Lovely to see you around! :)

Yep -- another cat alarm clock with the SAME characteristics as SunnyCottage -- small nose and squeaking about missing breakfast and opening the door and blinds ..... and tidying the litter box ..... right .... now .....

LOVE that photo! :)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

I have the moonbeam clock in a guest bedroom and love the way it looks. In my bedroom, I have the dog version of Sunny's clock! 2.
    But I use a small, Timex travel alarm also and it works great. Cell phone size but hasn't failed in 14 years. My cell phone has!

• always1stepbehind
    10 years ago

I've thought about this lately too. I have the alarm clock that I think my ex-H brought into the relationship...almost 20 yrs ago.

I'd like to get something decorative like but I don't like "ticking" either. I know a lot of people use their cell phone for their alarm. I don't like my cell phone in my room because I don't want to hear a random middle of the middle of the night or early morning text or email alert.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

I have my clock radio on a table across the room for two reasons 1) I can't hit the snooze 2) the light is too bright and shines in my eyes if it is right next to me. It's a plain old Radio Shack clock radio.

Now that I am retired I don't use it often. When I quit working the first thing I did was turn off the alarm.

Anyway, if anyone has a favorite alarm where the light is very dim at night, I'd like to know what that is. Mine is supposed to be adjustable but it isn't dim enough for me.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I asked because, personally, I cannot sleep with a ticking clock. When I was little, I used to sneak downstairs at night to still the pendulum on our grandfather clock.

It has been my experience that all the pretty/quaint clocks are analog and tick; that's why I asked.

Many cute choices among ticking clocks....

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Ded, the Bose radio's clock feature has bright numbers when the light is on but when you turn out the lights the digital numbers get very dim. They are bright enough to read but not at all distracting.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i have a clock radio (ugly, old and reliable!) and i like to wake up to the radio.
    our #'s have a dimmer switch, but it is still too bright for me, so i face it away from me and just turn it towards me if i wake in the middle of night and want to know the time...
    i cannot tolerate any ticking!
    my husb and kids use their cells.

• violetwest
    10 years ago

my alarm clock looks like my iphone.

I keep meaning to purchase a backup just in case, but haven't yet. When I do it MUST have a very dim light setting -- can't stand bright lights in my bedroom at night.

• chicagoans
    10 years ago

I have an ancient clock radio that my late DH had before we met, over 20 years ago.The radio no longer works and the buzzer alarm is stuck on scary loud, but I keep it because it lets you go either forward or back to set the time (instead of all the way around if you want to go back by one hour, or ten minutes, for example.) It just bugs me to have to go forward by 50 minutes if I really just want to go back by ten. Not sure why.

I work out early so my alarm goes off just after 5 on week days and around 6:30 on Saturdays. I wouldn't wake up without it, most likely, although I do manage to wake up randomly at other ungodly times of the night. grrr.

If your suggested clocks let me go backwards to set the time, I'll replace my current one!

• dedtired
    10 years ago

My old Radio Shack alarm clock goes forward and back but the numbers have gotten "burned in" and sometimes I can't tell if it is six or five. Poor thing has done 20 years of service so it is time for it to die.

I'm another who cannot tolerate ticking. I need dark and quiet to sleep. I even use thumb tacks to tack down the edges of the roman shades at night so there is no light leak from the sides. Crazy, I know.

• Ilene Perl
    10 years ago

Mine was probably bought 30 years ago, it's a Seiko battery operated. When I was looking for new lamps I bought them to match my clock.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

Mtn, I had an ongoing battle with my mother and her new grandfather clock. It was in the house foyer and my head board bed wall backed up to it. I would shut it off everyday ...and she would start it back up. Her bedroom was way down the hall. This went on for years.
    Lights don't bother me, I have nothing on the bedroom windows and I like to look at the stars from the bed. But no ticking clock ever. I have to have white noise.

• peegee
    10 years ago

I also have the L.L.Bean Moonbeam, and love it - no ticking...but I have to keep it partially covered at night as I can't take light in my room when trying to sleep. But that flashing light wakes me up everytime. It only took a couple times of hearing that really loud alarm that follows for me to have never needed it again!

• runninginplace
    10 years ago

"Does ticking annoy you?"

YES! Like mtn, I cannot fall asleep with ticking, or really any kind of ambient noise. I'm really stumped about a clock for my bedroom. I have to crane my neck very uncomfortably to see the time on my bedside clock and have been trying to find something that looks nice and is absolutely silent to put on my dresser--that way when I'm reading at night I can see if it's time to put the book away and turn the lights out.

Right now for wake up duty I've got a digital clock/radio. Also don't like being wakened by an alarm; classical music is much more pleasant and gentle to hear first thing in the morning.

And last but not least: dreaming of when I too can retire and never have to turn out that light at X-o'clock because I've got to be up for work/meetings/exercise (squeezed in before work) again!!

Ann

• patricianat
    10 years ago

If you have a landline and voice mail, you can have your phone call you with your own words and own voice.

• schicksal
    10 years ago

It's a slightly less fancy version of this. The numbers flip over with a quiet "tick" once a minute. It's been plugged in for countless years/decades now.

• carsonheim
    10 years ago

I always thought this is a nice looking alarm clock:

Here is a link that might be useful: Ballard designs clock

• Sms
    10 years ago

Here's mine

• tinazyhs
    6 years ago

same as this one

• sushipup2
    2 years ago

"John Peters," tell us more.

• kculbers
    2 years ago

I dont need an alarm. I wake up by 4:30 am daily to do my workout, like clockwork!