Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kevinmp_gw

Hoisting Time! All for This Leather Chair!

KevinMP
11 years ago

Tomorrow is the day. It's going to be a busy day. My contractor is coming by to take the bathroom door moulding and jam off/out to get me a 30"+ doorway and to remove the sash on the bathroom casement window (to give me a 33" opening). While he's here, he's going to do some touch up caulking on the dining room crown moulding and bathroom wainscoting (thanks to winter shrinkage and settling over the last year). He's also going to caulk the niche in the shower again because it's separate a little in the corners.

Then, it's on to the movers. I'll take a video and post a link to it for you to experience. Then, I pack for the Caribbean to escape this crappy weather on Saturday morning.

Comments (30)

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

Good luck on your chair! Where in the Caribbean are you going? I've spent a lot of time on Saba, certainly not fancy, but love it as well as the people, check it out!

Did you get my email??

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I sent the slipcover to you yesterday actually. Sorry it took so long. Cayman.

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And this fake snow better not get in the way of this all.

• maire_cate
    11 years ago

Kevin - I'm sitting in my son's place in Northern Liberties awaiting furniture - the snow isn't bad but it's really wet.

Will they plastic wrap your chair? I hope you're home to record this for all of us.

Enjoy your vacation!

• dedtired
    11 years ago

Still snowing out here on the Main Line. I hope they cover the chair to move it. I don't think this kind of snow should stop them. It's sticking to the grass but not the street.

Maybe we should meet for coffee when it's all done, since we're all within 15 miles of each other. Dying to see the video! Good luck.

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They canceled because they were afraid to walk on my roof and to get the chair wet, etc. (although it's fully wrapped). So, it's been pushed until next Saturday.

But I did have my contractor come and remove the door trim and jam. While he was at it, I asked him to look to see if I could accommodate a larger door in that space (in order to avoid having to do this again), and, sure enough, I'm going to be able to have a 4" bigger door. He made the opening for it this morning and picked up the new door. He'll install it while I'm away. I really like how open it is now compare to the old 28" door.

I also re-hang the drapes at the appropriate height and with less obnoxious, better colored rods.

Off to the salvage yard to try to find a 32" 5-panel door to match the closet door in the living room and to find a "new" piece of white pine flooring to use for the wider threshold. Wish me luck.

This post was edited by KevinMP on Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 8:49

• dedtired
    11 years ago

Luck!

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

Sorry that the hoisting was delayed. Have a good trip.

• Valerie Noronha
    11 years ago

What a teaser! :)

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tomorrow's the day (unless, of course, it isn't because of the rain in the forecast). I'll keep everyone posted!

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

I just hate to tell y'all it is forecast to be 84 here tomorrow in our Great State of Texas! Time to turn the sprinkler system on. Just messin' with you...

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

I just hate to tell y'all it is forecast to be 84 here tomorrow in our Great State of Texas! Time to turn the sprinkler system on. Just messin' with you...

• maire_cate
    11 years ago

waiting......waiting........

I hope the rain held off and the movers are coming. We're away from the Philly area today and we're getting snow up in the PA mountains.

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It was freezing rain and then rain and then nothing. They did it anyhow, and it worked out well. I won't have my new bathroom door until Monday, but here's what it looked like during the move and what the chair looks like without the new door (and with a bunch of moulding missing and stacked in the corner of the living room). (I didn't take a video because I didn't want them to think I was recording them for suspicious or litigious reasons.)

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• cooperbailey
    11 years ago

It looks perfect!
    Wondered what the process would be like- so much simpler than I thought! And I was nervous just looking at the guy on the ladder under the chair! That is just trust!

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

Lol, I had the same thought, that's a lot of trust!

Also agree, the chair looks great there!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Oh my! That does look perfect there! Three cheers for those moving guys! I am very impressed!

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

They had to go thru the tub? How did I miss that?

Hope your vacation was fun.

The chair looks fab in its new location.

Bee

• EG3d
    11 years ago

Spectacular!!

The ladder photo almost looks like a fireman's rescue of the chair - LOL! I hope you do have good insurance in case of a fire. Love the chair in the room!! What would have to change about your house to get the furniture upstairs without going outside on a ladder?

• SaraKat
    11 years ago

Where there's a will there's a way, right? I gotta hand it to those delivery guys who have probably seen everything, they appear to be nonplussed. It looks great.

• kswl2
    11 years ago

The chair looks right at home. That's my highest compliment, btw.

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone.

EG3d, the problem is the stairs (below). The only way to fix that problem would be to put an elevator in the stairwell and remove the stairs. But this chair was more of a hassle than anything else I've had to move because it was too big to get through the doorway between the kitchen and dining room and too big to get through the doorway from the kitchen to the patio (which is where it would have to get to in order to be brought in through the bathroom window). So that's why they had to go over the house from the front and drop it down the back. They do this all of the time in the city because of how these houses are. Because it's historic, you're not allowed to change the front at all, and because I'm a traditionalist and do not want to mess with my house too much, I would never get rid of the stairs.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

Those stairs are well worth preserving -- so very graceful!

Kevin, how long have you been in your home? I am impressed with everything you have done, but missed the beginning of your story.

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

The chair looks great. Your dog seems to be guarding it now that it's in place. Awesome job by the movers.

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Chibimimi, I've been here for two and a half years. I've put about $53K into the house in terms of construction/remodeling (partial redo of kitchen (which was new when I moved in), full bathroom gut, painting, closet/canopy room, crown moulding), electrical (wiring for chandelier in dining room and recessed lighting, new outlets and switches, and new panel), historically accurate windows/door in front of house and new French doors in my master). And a lot on furniture.

Even without the bathroom, crown moulding/recessed lighting, canopy room and closet, and partial kitchen redo, my house appraised for $60K more than I bought it for when I refinanced. So I think the money has been well spent.

This post was edited by KevinMP on Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 10:48

• threeapples
    11 years ago

Your house is fabulous. I really love how you are decorating it and love the pieces you've recently purchased.

• dedtired
    11 years ago

I am surprised the weather allowed you to do this. Out here in the 'burbs, it was snowing all day and the roads were very slippery. I'm glad it worked out for you. The chair is perfect and worth the trouble. I hope you plan to stay there for a long time!

• EG3d
    11 years ago

Kevin.
    Generally., I like tradition also but I would hate those stairs unless I had a 2nd staircase that would make it much easier to move items from one floor to another. Is there a backyard where in the future you could add space? I know that is a lot of money but I am just asking.
    Eileen

• Debbi Branka
    11 years ago

The chair looks great, and I love your bathroom! Your dog is gorgeous!

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

The new chair looks fantastic! What talented delivery people. I've had some that can't even handle piecing together a simple bed without breaking it. Glad all went well and your home and your furniture is still in great condition.

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!