Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutmegxo_gw

Should I get this media dresser for my bedroom?

nutmegxo
12 years ago

Some of you are familiar with my bedroom furniture..

{{!gwi}}

Would this "media dresser" fit in well with my furniture or does it look like I tried to match it but failed? I don't mind at all putting in a piece that is a completely different color than the furniture, but not sure what that unique color should be. I spotted this on Wayfair and it looks like it might work. Our TV is mounted on the wall opposite the bed, but we need a piece of furniture for the stupid satellite cable box. All this fuss for a silly box. I could use the extra drawer storage though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carrington Media

Comments (10)

• cindyloo123
    12 years ago

I think you are correct that you should either match or go with something that is intentionally different. Black would go nicely with your cherry wood.

I see a lot of that same cherry on Craigslist and I have some of it myself. But it looks like you need a tall piece, in order to be able to use the remote with the cable box?

What about putting a black wall shelf over the TV and then grounding the area with a bench? A bench would not have to be as deep as a dresser. You could get one of those benches with cubbies under it for storage.

• Fun2BHere
    12 years ago

I don't mind mixing wood species, but there needs to be balance. In this case, you would have only one piece in the media cabinet color so I think it will look out of place with your other bedroom furniture. I agree with Cindyloo123 that it would be better to go with something that's not wood-colored unless you can find a piece that's approximately the same color as your bedroom furniture.

• les917
    12 years ago

I would rather see you do a piece in a lighter finish, perhaps hand painted or distressed. Some that would bring your bedding colors and drapery to that wall, and would balance the heaviness of the black tv.

I saw this and thought it was interesting. I realize the box would sit on top, not tucked away as in a media cabinet. I just thought the color and finish would be very pretty in there, and clearly not an attempt to match, but an accent piece.

butler artist originals bombe chest

Also, if you and/or DH are handy, you could get a dresser from CL, paint it a warm vanilla color, perhaps dry brush with some antique gold craft paint (or Rub-n-Buff), add some new knobs if needed, and use that. You could even remove the top drawer of the dresser, add in a painted wood piece to make a solid shelf, drill a hole or holes in the back for the cords, and have an shelf that would hold the box, but tucked away.

• sis2two
    12 years ago

I love the cabinet that Les posted!

• amykath
    12 years ago

Have you considered buying a dresser and painting it? Something cool on craigslist?

Here is a link that might be useful: dresser

• fully2
    12 years ago

A media center fireplace might look nice.

• nutmegxo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone! Les917 - that is a beautiful beautiful beautiful piece!!! I think it is not wide enough though. Cindyloo123 - You are right, we need something on the tall side - we need approx. 3 feet high and want 4 feet wide to balance the width of the TV. Hubby had run all the wiring for the cable box and we really don't want to hang anything above the TV. We want some sort of cabinet/bookshelf/table/whatever for underneath the TV to hold the cable box but not show any of the icky wires.

I am a sucker for painted/distressed furniture and I am glad to see many of you suggesting I go that route. Originally I did think that black might work, but with the kinds of fabrics that I am leaning towards with bedding/drapery, I think that vanilla or creamy colors might be best. I still am not even close to finalizing decision on the fabrics but I do know that I want lighter kinds of colors as opposed to dark.

aktillery - that link did not work for me

• nanny2a
    12 years ago

Perhaps something like this would work, in the white finish. We had the same problem in our master bedroom, and solved it by getting a distressed painted console.

Here is a link that might be useful: Distressed console

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County