Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gretchenvon

How do you hang a mirror so it tilts?

gretchenvon
11 years ago

I want to hang a mirror so that the top part tilts away from the wall - downward - the way you sometimes see paintings in old European buildings. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Thanks.

Comments (13)

• musicteacher
    11 years ago

The mirror will need to hang from a wire that is attached lower than the top of the mirror. The further down and the longer the wire, the more it will tilt. I ignorantly hung one over my fireplace by the brackets attached on the top of the frame. Now it just reflects the ceiling!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Attach the wire below the center of the mirror and it will tilt forward and reflect the room....attach the wire above the mid point and it will lean back and reflect the ceiling.

I did that with my PR mirror and it reflects the surroundings and the person at the sink nicely.

• gretchenvon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Brilliant. Thank you both.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    11 years ago

Keep in mind that if you hang from a picture rail rather than concealed behind the frame, the attachment point is more crucial; the smallest difference there makes a huge difference when the hang point is far above the frame.
    To fine-tune the angle, you can stick self-adhesive felt pads at the lower corners of the frame;that angles it back up toward the ceiling a bit.
    Casey

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

I like to use D-ring hangers screwed to the frame rather than simple screw eyes for heavy things like mirrors, particularly when hanging them from a longer wire.

If I'm not tilting them, I often hang the D-rings directly on the picture hooks, unless the sides of them are particularly visible when entering or being in the room. Measuring is more critical, but it makes them very stable.

• mclarke
    9 years ago

The block is a brilliant idea, because you can adjust the tilt simply by moving the block... without having to calculate where to drill those little holes.

• khobbs58
    7 years ago

Brilliant! Worked great!

• Liyaan Safaa
    3 years ago

I’ve got a similar Q, however my mirror has no frame, and it’s 8’ long! Any ideas?? (Making a dance area for my daughter)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

If you don't mind damaging your wall, you need to get mirror mastic and glue it up where you want it. Mirror mastic won't remove the silvering on the back of a mirror. Even at that, given the weight and size of the mirror, I'd want to hang it with mirror clips or frame it so it's well supported. Being on the wall like that, and that large, I don't think you want it to tilt as it could be distorting. Flat on the wall is best....at least that's how they're mounted in the room where I have barre class.

• Liyaan Safaa
    3 years ago

I realize flat to the wall would be easiest, but the reflection would only be what’s above the bar. So she couldn’t see most of her body and negate the function of the mirror

• Donna Comstock
    3 years ago

Take a piece of 2x2, mount your hooks, then hang the mirror, it will tilt 1 3/4” and you can easily level the wood. Easy hanging

• Donna Comstock
    3 years ago

See my comment,

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living