Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you hang a mirror so it tilts?

Posted by gretchenvon (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 23:20

I want to hang a mirror so that the top part tilts away from the wall - downward - the way you sometimes see paintings in old European buildings. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you hang a mirror so it tilts?

The mirror will need to hang from a wire that is attached lower than the top of the mirror. The further down and the longer the wire, the more it will tilt. I ignorantly hung one over my fireplace by the brackets attached on the top of the frame. Now it just reflects the ceiling!

o

Attach the wire below the center of the mirror and it will tilt forward and reflect the room....attach the wire above the mid point and it will lean back and reflect the ceiling.

I did that with my PR mirror and it reflects the surroundings and the person at the sink nicely.

o

Brilliant. Thank you both.

o

Keep in mind that if you hang from a picture rail rather than concealed behind the frame, the attachment point is more crucial; the smallest difference there makes a huge difference when the hang point is far above the frame.
To fine-tune the angle, you can stick self-adhesive felt pads at the lower corners of the frame;that angles it back up toward the ceiling a bit.
Casey

o

I like to use D-ring hangers screwed to the frame rather than simple screw eyes for heavy things like mirrors, particularly when hanging them from a longer wire.

If I'm not tilting them, I often hang the D-rings directly on the picture hooks, unless the sides of them are particularly visible when entering or being in the room. Measuring is more critical, but it makes them very stable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here