Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jterrilynn

Pls show vanity tops that are NOT granite,quartz,or solid surface

jterrilynn
10 years ago

Pictures please!

IâÂÂm inching closer to the master bathroom gut. Once we finish the rest of the remodel we plan on moving into the house and using another bath and bedroom while tackling the master area. We are putting in hardwood floors in the master bedroom but havenâÂÂt picked the floor tile for the master bath. The look throughout the house is transitional with a small nod to vintage. The house was built in 83â but who ever built it had the seventies on the brain. The vanities will be slab doors of yet to be decided finish.

IâÂÂm burnt out with the usual countertop stuff. I think itâÂÂs grossly overpriced. IâÂÂm tired of haggling with fabricators (at least I am at the moment). I do not want Formica either.

Would anyone have some inspiration to throw my way? Can I get a high mid-range look without using the above in first paragraph? IâÂÂm pretty handy and so is my husband so we will be DIY-ing it.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 23:15

Comments (22)

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes Raehele I'm looking for some gorgeous options. I don't like the fact that solid is starting to feel like a racket. I know machinery for that type of work is expensive but sheesh what I had to go through to get a simple stone kitchen island top done at a reasonable rate is ridiculous.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Here's an idea..........

Here is a link that might be useful: countertop

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I put limestone tile counters in my bath remodel. I fell in love with seagrass limestone, but couldn't justify buying 2 slabs, one of the counter and one for the tiny little space around the tub. Then I fell in love with the sparkly backsplash and then the trim tile and just had to figure out how to make it all work. I'm sure it doesn't for everyone, but I love it. My apologies to all who want to barf if they see me post pics of this bath one more time.

These are all little fossils in the stone

• User
    10 years ago

Not granite, quarz, or solid surface doesn'tleave much. Wood maybe, like Mongo's teak counter, or tile, with an epoxy grout, which will be a premium for a small area. Concrete if you're brave and can live with all of the issues of marble or other softer and more porous stones. Or metal. You could do stainless steel like on a ship's head, or copper if you're tidy and don't mind a living surface.

The reason your anti surfaces are popular isn't all due to fashion. They are all very functional choices. Moving away from them will sacrifice some of that functionality.

• sochi
    10 years ago

We did a wood counter in our master bath. Totally diy possible and reasonably priced.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

uh...pedestal sinks?....lol.

I also have limestone but Im suspecting the fabrication costs are the same as granite/quartz. I think tile is a good option in a bath....I don't think the grout would get as "icky" as in a kitchen, especially if you used a darker tile/grout and the tiles were very close together. I think wood is very pretty, but you'd have to keep it up with a marine varnish.

Sochi......love your bathroom!

• jlj48
    10 years ago

I have butcher block counters in my kitchen. Love them.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

HEY THANKS, you have inspired me!!!

Patti the epoxy is interesting because the possibilities are endless. You can even buy stone granules and make your own solid surface countertop by adding epoxy. You can use pieces of stained glass too. IâÂÂm not so keen on the ones done to look like granite though. For me IâÂÂm thinking one color crushed glass with a few crystal beads or perhaps those flat backed glass beads you can buy anywhere in the flower arranging section. IâÂÂm not sure how I would do the glass beads though, maybe first attach with liquid nails, then a monochromatic grout then thick epoxy. IâÂÂd have to frame it in for a thinker topâ¦not sure, need to do some reading. Heck you can get a whole bag of flat back glass beads for very little money. But really there is no end to what you could do. The great thing about the epoxy idea is that I could rough up the surface of the existing countertop and reuse it. It has to come off anyway to toss the old cabinetry.

Olychick, IâÂÂm thinking I need info on your tub. Your whole area there is the same as my setup except mine has a faux brown marble thing. How do you like your tub? Nice calming room you have there.

Sochi, just about everything I have ever seen you pick has been drool worthy. I could do wood if it had an inch and a half of epoxy over the top. There is something about us that makes us not responsible enough for wood tops.

• jlj48
    10 years ago

My recycling center in town sells recycled glass for landscaping or anything for $5.00 a bucket. It is very pretty and not at all sharp - easy to handle with your hands. Just a thought...

• sapphire6917
    10 years ago

I took an old desk and made it into a vanity. I left the original wood top on it but, on top of that, I added a mother of pearl top. Here it is before it was added to the desk. One of these days, the bathroom will be done and I will be able to post a picture of the completed project.

• beaches1980
    10 years ago

I really like the look of some alternative countertops that I googled. Just goes to show there are so many options!

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sapphire, that is very pretty! Talk to me about this top. Can water seam into cracks? What did you buy exactly for this project top?

Joanie, good idea IâÂÂll check into that.

Beaches, thanks for the eye candy! I will show husband and I know exactly what one he will likeâ¦the 2nd one down.

• sapphire6917
    10 years ago

Thanks, Jterrilynn! Water does not permeate into the cracks but you have to be VERY careful with it. There is zero space between the pieces and, since I was keeping the wood top on the vanity, it was made with a "solid" mesh backing. If you bend it or drop it or cause any trauma to it while installing it, the seams between the shells will open up. My contractor can verify that first hand! It was cut to the shape of the vanity top and he attached it with a standard construction adhesive. After it was attached, he cut the holes for the sink and the faucet. Now that it is on the vanity (and in the midst of construction), I have had no problems at all with the shells cracking.

If I was not keeping the wood top on the vanity, they would have created the top with a thick solid back with the shells already attached and I would assume it would be installed like any other solid surface countertop.

I hope that answered your questions!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Well, there's Neolith and similar products, which is a ceramic/porcelain countertop material. Check out the kitchen Forum for prices (it depends onthe region). It's quite common in Europe. It's basically indestructible and comes in lots of colors. it can be really thin.

Soapstone
    {{!gwi}}

Slate
    {{!gwi}}

Recycled glass/paper, kind of like Terrazzo

Copper

Here is a link that might be useful: bathroom counters

• crl_
    10 years ago

We have soapstone. I have heard of people diying it, though I think it is harder, and therefore more difficult, than wood.

Copper? There have been a few diy threads in the kitchen forum over the years.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Back lit onyx?

• francoise47
    10 years ago

We have a one-piece ceramic sink and countertop made by Ronbow. It is completely easy to clean and maintain. Although it has a "transitional" feel, it looks great in our 1920s house.

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Ronbow ceramic sink and counter

• marianlibrarian
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I used the same tile as the bath surrounds for countertops in my rent houses because it is very economical. Can't undermount sinks though, but so many nice sinks available. At 2.89 a foot cannot be beat--I used bullnose edge on one vanity so the edges were 4$ per foot or so. I use large porcelain with very thin grout lines and epoxy or fusion grout so the grout lines are no problem. Tile edges must be same color as top for it to look good if not using bullnose....although you can spray paint edges but I never have. In one house I used glass accents on the countertop and it turned out quite pretty. So....plywood, thinset and screw down denshield resin impregnated gypsum from Lowes made by USG (lightweight and sooooo easy to use, love it) and tile. the tile on top overlaps the tiled edges. So more than 2.89 ft. but not much for me as I usually have leftovers. Sorry about sideways photos:-p

If you go this route, lay the entire countertop out first and check your overhang and especially your symetry, to look pro it has to be symetrical...the cuts, layout, etc. the left side of the counter the exact mirror of the right side.

Floorndecor has 10' quartz prefab slabs for $500. You can take and pick up from a granite fabricator. Or Maybe use a wet saw to cut the slab and diamond blade hole saw and garden hose to cut a vessel sink hole.

• User
    9 years ago

Chinesequartz seconds are not something that most people want to allow in their homes. Tile is a good choice though, as long as it's also not seconds from a liquidator like F&D.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

If you use standard sized vanity cabinets, you could use vanity tops that are one-piece tops in vitreous china or cast iron:

http://www.build.com/kohler-bathroom-sinks/c109354?F19214=vanity%20top&F19796=cast%20iron&F19796=vitreous%20china

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH