Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pls show vanity tops that are NOT granite,quartz,or solid surface

Posted by jterrilynn (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 22:53

Pictures please!

I’m inching closer to the master bathroom gut. Once we finish the rest of the remodel we plan on moving into the house and using another bath and bedroom while tackling the master area. We are putting in hardwood floors in the master bedroom but haven’t picked the floor tile for the master bath. The look throughout the house is transitional with a small nod to vintage. The house was built in 83’ but who ever built it had the seventies on the brain. The vanities will be slab doors of yet to be decided finish.

I’m burnt out with the usual countertop stuff. I think it’s grossly overpriced. I’m tired of haggling with fabricators (at least I am at the moment). I do not want Formica either.

Would anyone have some inspiration to throw my way? Can I get a high mid-range look without using the above in first paragraph? I’m pretty handy and so is my husband so we will be DIY-ing it.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 23:15

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pls show vanity tops that are NOT granite,quartz,or solid sur

Well, we built our last house in '84 and put in tile counters. There are gorgeous tiles out there now, some even come sized perfectly to fit the whole width/depth (ie 24-25") of a vanity.

Definitely a possible DIY and much much cheaper than solid surface.

o

Yes Raehele I'm looking for some gorgeous options. I don't like the fact that solid is starting to feel like a racket. I know machinery for that type of work is expensive but sheesh what I had to go through to get a simple stone kitchen island top done at a reasonable rate is ridiculous.

o

Here's an idea..........

Here is a link that might be useful: countertop

o

I put limestone tile counters in my bath remodel. I fell in love with seagrass limestone, but couldn't justify buying 2 slabs, one of the counter and one for the tiny little space around the tub. Then I fell in love with the sparkly backsplash and then the trim tile and just had to figure out how to make it all work. I'm sure it doesn't for everyone, but I love it. My apologies to all who want to barf if they see me post pics of this bath one more time.

These are all little fossils in the stone

m.. Seagrass limestone - fossil closeup photo SeagrassLimestonefossildetail.jpg
d. view from dressing area photo viewfromwindowseat.jpg

o

Not granite, quarz, or solid surface doesn'tleave much. Wood maybe, like Mongo's teak counter, or tile, with an epoxy grout, which will be a premium for a small area. Concrete if you're brave and can live with all of the issues of marble or other softer and more porous stones. Or metal. You could do stainless steel like on a ship's head, or copper if you're tidy and don't mind a living surface.

The reason your anti surfaces are popular isn't all due to fashion. They are all very functional choices. Moving away from them will sacrifice some of that functionality.

o

We did a wood counter in our master bath. Totally diy possible and reasonably priced.

o

uh...pedestal sinks?....lol.

I also have limestone but Im suspecting the fabrication costs are the same as granite/quartz. I think tile is a good option in a bath....I don't think the grout would get as "icky" as in a kitchen, especially if you used a darker tile/grout and the tiles were very close together. I think wood is very pretty, but you'd have to keep it up with a marine varnish.

Sochi......love your bathroom!

o

I have butcher block counters in my kitchen. Love them.

o

HEY THANKS, you have inspired me!!!

Patti the epoxy is interesting because the possibilities are endless. You can even buy stone granules and make your own solid surface countertop by adding epoxy. You can use pieces of stained glass too. I’m not so keen on the ones done to look like granite though. For me I’m thinking one color crushed glass with a few crystal beads or perhaps those flat backed glass beads you can buy anywhere in the flower arranging section. I’m not sure how I would do the glass beads though, maybe first attach with liquid nails, then a monochromatic grout then thick epoxy. I’d have to frame it in for a thinker top…not sure, need to do some reading. Heck you can get a whole bag of flat back glass beads for very little money. But really there is no end to what you could do. The great thing about the epoxy idea is that I could rough up the surface of the existing countertop and reuse it. It has to come off anyway to toss the old cabinetry.

Olychick, I’m thinking I need info on your tub. Your whole area there is the same as my setup except mine has a faux brown marble thing. How do you like your tub? Nice calming room you have there.

Sochi, just about everything I have ever seen you pick has been drool worthy. I could do wood if it had an inch and a half of epoxy over the top. There is something about us that makes us not responsible enough for wood tops.

o

My recycling center in town sells recycled glass for landscaping or anything for $5.00 a bucket. It is very pretty and not at all sharp - easy to handle with your hands. Just a thought...

o

I took an old desk and made it into a vanity. I left the original wood top on it but, on top of that, I added a mother of pearl top. Here it is before it was added to the desk. One of these days, the bathroom will be done and I will be able to post a picture of the completed project.

o

I really like the look of some alternative countertops that I googled. Just goes to show there are so many options!

o

Sapphire, that is very pretty! Talk to me about this top. Can water seam into cracks? What did you buy exactly for this project top?

Joanie, good idea I’ll check into that.

Beaches, thanks for the eye candy! I will show husband and I know exactly what one he will like…the 2nd one down.

o

Thanks, Jterrilynn! Water does not permeate into the cracks but you have to be VERY careful with it. There is zero space between the pieces and, since I was keeping the wood top on the vanity, it was made with a "solid" mesh backing. If you bend it or drop it or cause any trauma to it while installing it, the seams between the shells will open up. My contractor can verify that first hand! It was cut to the shape of the vanity top and he attached it with a standard construction adhesive. After it was attached, he cut the holes for the sink and the faucet. Now that it is on the vanity (and in the midst of construction), I have had no problems at all with the shells cracking.

If I was not keeping the wood top on the vanity, they would have created the top with a thick solid back with the shells already attached and I would assume it would be installed like any other solid surface countertop.

I hope that answered your questions!

o

Well, there's Neolith and similar products, which is a ceramic/porcelain countertop material. Check out the kitchen Forum for prices (it depends onthe region). It's quite common in Europe. It's basically indestructible and comes in lots of colors. it can be really thin.

Soapstone

Slate

Recycled glass/paper, kind of like Terrazzo

Copper

Here is a link that might be useful: bathroom counters

o

We have soapstone. I have heard of people diying it, though I think it is harder, and therefore more difficult, than wood.

Copper? There have been a few diy threads in the kitchen forum over the years.

o

Back lit onyx?

o

o

We have a one-piece ceramic sink and countertop made by Ronbow. It is completely easy to clean and maintain. Although it has a "transitional" feel, it looks great in our 1920s house.

photo largest_Kara_zpscc9dda57.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Ronbow ceramic sink and counter

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here