Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
willowdecor_gw

Almost Finished Dining Room

willowdecor
14 years ago

Here is my almost finished Dining Room. We hardly ever use it since we added a Breakfast Room to the kitchen. I think I need a rug, but should I spend more money on a room I do not use. What do you all think?

Here is a link that might be useful: Willow's Dining Room

Comments (13)

• sundownr
    14 years ago

It's quite beautiful, as is your whole house. I ⥠it! You do need a rug so your DR is as elegantly dressed as the other rooms. Since you don't use the DR (we don't either) your rug will stay clean. :)

Where did you get your linen curtains?

• willowdecor
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I got the fabric (real Belgian linen) at Zimmans, a discounter of fabric in MA, and had them made by a seamstress.

• yayagal
    14 years ago

Beautiful room indeed!!!! I can understand your dilemma not wanting to spend too much money on a room you don't use but I do think a rug would be nice. I'd go to Ebay and buy a muted oriental or check Craig's list for buys in your area.

• doonie
    14 years ago

I love your beautiful style! So lovely!

I agree that a muted Oriental rug would be lovely in there and should be on the list, but it certainly can be way down on the list. It sounds like you've got another exciting project!

• charlieinnj
    14 years ago

Such a beautiful transformation! I love, love, love, your chandelier.

• boystown
    14 years ago

Your room is beautiful. Where did you find the slipcovers for your chairs? They look very elegant.

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

Beautiful transformation...great chandy and your table and chairs are really nice...I love the colors. When's dinner?

• Arapaho-Rd
    14 years ago

Beautiful room and home! My decorating sense is on a whole different level than yours, but I love the contrast of the table and chairs against your hardwood floors without a rug. How would you feel about an embroidered monogram on your linen slipcovers?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

Oh, Willow, it's always a privilege to see your lovely home. I think I'd have a liked a gently contrasting piping on the chair covers, but it's probably too late now for that.

• willowdecor
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gagesgranny - the slipcovers came with the chairs when I bought them.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. Seems everyone agrees I need a rug. Did I mention I really do not like rug shopping!!
    xx-Willow

• youngdeb
    14 years ago

Lovely room! I like your idea of a sisal rug, I think that's a pretty easy and not that expensive. And it will finish the room off.

In terms of embelleshing the chairs...I had a weird thought. I once saw a really gorgous installation with linen curtains that had buttons sewn on them, and then you could button on things - cross-stich samplers, antique handkerchiefs, etc. For DR chairs, it would be so cool to have something like that, and you could change them out with the seasons, holidays, etc. You could even have some screened with people's names as "placecards." Just a random weird thought.

You have lovely taste...

Deb

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

I don't think it needs a rug, quite frankly. You've done it in a swedish style and I think the sparse look should stay. I wouldn't add a rug, there is something about beaming hardwood floors in that setting, don't you think Willow?

.....Jane

• willowdecor
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Jane,
    I like the stark look, and it is more Swedish looking. But as my husband always says "a real family lives here" And, Boston is so cold in the winter. So much hardwood (and sadly no radiant heat)is cold on the feet.

But, you are right, it does work with out the rug and perhaps that has been why I have been so lax in finishing it up.
    xx-Willow