Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meanngreen

Fence Style opinions Help?

MeanNgreen
10 years ago

Hey guys and gals,
Need some advice on which style fence is most practical and looks nicest in your opinion. Both are same price so now its just look and function.
I like the look of the straight rail because its clean but like the look of the open one because it looks more authentic.

What do you think?
THANKS

Comments (19)

• MeanNgreen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the closed rail one.

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

I actually prefer the closed rail for vinyl fencing. It looks like it is what it is supposed to be, rather than looking like a vinyl fence pretending to be a white painted wood picket fence. But I wouldn't be surprised to be in the minority opinion on this one. ;-)

• MeanNgreen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is another closed

• MeanNgreen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And another open. Sorry if too many pics just trying to paint a good picture.

• lolauren
    10 years ago

Closed rail looks more current to me. I would pick it.

• jesshs
    10 years ago

I prefer the closed. Unless you have an uber-traditional cottage type house. Then I'd go with the other.

• sundance510
    10 years ago

I personally prefer the first picture you posted. But, I think it totally depends on your style of house and neighborhood. Either style has the potential to look out of place. Are you in a neighborhood setting like most of the pictures you posted (except that one that is obviously rural)? Are the houses in those pictures similar to your style of house (mid-range typical neighborhood and not million dollar brick mansions)?

• teacats
    10 years ago

Closed rail fence. Simple strong clean lines.

• doodledog_gw
    10 years ago

I prefer the open. IMHO the closed one looks like a railing.

• MeanNgreen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a picture of house fence will be placed on back yard.
    Thanks for opinions. Please keep them coming.

• beachpea3
    10 years ago

The first closed fence. It is more similar to the one in the front of the house.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I completely agree with Gyr_Falcon.

Also, the closed fence goes along with the railing at your front door.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

Closed rails would be my preference, but have you considered the aluminum fencing in black that resembles wrought iron?

• sundance510
    10 years ago

Thanks for posting a pic of the house. I vote closed in that setting.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Closed. It also looks a bit more elegant than the picket plus it goes with the railing on your porch.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

What Graywings said! Check out Echelon, you can get 8' lengths that are designed to give a little for grading differences. It is also very easy for a DIY and excellent quality . I have personally had that fencing and highly recommend. Large expanses of white fencing only look good on a horse farm estate.

• chispa
    10 years ago

Agree with Graywings too and was going to suggest black wrought iron. Her suggestion looks like a good alternative to the wrought iron. Black looks so much better because it visually disappears. Is this an option in your neighborhood?

• housefairy
    10 years ago

Are there other fences close by? If so, I would probably use that pattern. However, I like the idea of the black. White is pretty when it is clean. But the black will be more forgiving in looks when it starts getting faded with age.

• MeanNgreen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks All. Yes our HOA limits us to white vinyl so not much to choose from. Went closed. Will try to post a completed pic.
    Thanks Again.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting