Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fripper_gw

Slipcovers - Advice needed - White or Natural?

fripper
13 years ago

My DD is a professional seamstress and will be making new custom slipcovers for the furniture in my LR. (Loveseat and 2 wingback chairs.) We're thinking either matelasse or brushed twill but not sure which would be best as my big fat cat can absolutely shred steel! I'm trying to find something his claws can't dig into so easily.

My current slipcovers are "natural" in color and I've always been happy with them (until Dudley, the cat, shredded one of the corners), but now DD suggests I go with white so as not to compete with so many other colors in the room. (The walls are currently painted a deep RL red that DH chose before we married. I find it very dark and depressing, so after 5 years of marriage, am definitely going lighter and brighter this spring!)

Anyway, for those of you who have white slipcovered furniture, do you find it easy to live with? Have you had difficulty finding coordinating fabrics? My favorite pillow is a needlepoint with ivory background and I'm so afraid it won't work with the white. Also, I guess using white would probably nix the ivory drapes I had thought about putting up. In other words, white seems more difficult to coordinate with than a neutral. Any input would be appreciated.

Comments (6)

• fripper
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I know this topic has been done to death, but could someone tell me how to download a pic from photobucket? I'd like to post a pic of my inspiration room so you gals can see the direction I'm headed. Thanks!

• suero
    13 years ago

Step 1:

This copies the HTML code into your clipboard

Step 2:

Paste (Ctrl-V) the code into the message box.

Step 3:

Press the Preview Message button. You should see your picture.

Step 4:

If everything looks good, press the Submit Message button to post your message. Otherwise, edit the contents of the message box until your message is to your liking, preview and submit.

• fripper
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks suero, it works! This pic is the general direction I'm heading toward once I get rid of these dreary red walls.

• chris11895
    13 years ago

As with paint, if you go to a fabric store and start looking at white fabrics you'll soon see that there are soooooo many shades and textures of white fabric. I'd start there and see if you can find an ivory or creamy off-white you like. As for the drapes, you could still use them with white furniture but maybe your daughter could sew a fabric band to the bottom to add a little color?

• Boopadaboo
    13 years ago

I have a twill natural slip cover. It what not expensive and has not held up the best with the cats unfortunately. The good news is I can and have bleached it, it just has some holes and looks shabby.

I also have an orange matelasse quilt that i have been putting on a small loveseat I have in the kitchen and that has held up really well. I woulc go with that type of fabric if cats are a concern. My cats don't try to scratch it at all. I would probably test the white and the natural in the wash first and rub it on the cats. :)

• franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

Is Dudley white? I recovered a pair of chair seats in a white matelasse. The fabric has held up well, but the cats (who are black, orange, and a tortie) love to sleep on them, so the hair issue is a constant battle. I just bought a darker, patterned fabric to recover them again.

Just keep in mind that if the cat isn't a shade of white, you'll be picking off hair all day, every day.

I have a twill slipcover, and the fur doesn't seem to cling to it nearly as badly. Do NOT use a chenille of any kind. Pet hair sticks to it like it was velcro, and the texture is too appealing for kitty claws.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County