Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beachgirlok

How do I finish my kitchen?

beachgirlok
15 years ago

I have procastinated over how to finish my kitchen until I am blue in the face and hope someone can give me some direction. Here are pictures of the breakfast area of my kitchen.

a> href="http://tinypic.com" target="_blank">

Here is my granite.

A few months ago I hired a designer to help me arrange the furnishings I already had, and she was going to assist me in making additional selections. She arranged the items on the two bookcases and they looked great. Then a couple of days later the housekeeper came in and dusted and re-arranged everything. I nearly died. On the other hand, I should have taken pictures.

Anyway, the designer never made the suggestions, (actually, she was gone before I got home from work) and I'm back to square one in the kitchen. Basically, I need help in several areas:

1. Color. As you can see, the kitchen is all pretty color neutral. My maple wood is stained. The granite, which has a lot of movement, as you can see, has browns, rust, grays and a little bit of burgundy. Appliances are stainless. The only color so far is in the objects on the shelves, which are crystal, a little red, and a few blue items. The walls are SW Blonde. The kitchen is open to the living room, which is burgundy and brown tones. I can't seem to pick a color, because I'm afraid that it will clash with the granite or the living room. I have tried to get a European/French feel to my home, but really don't know where to go from here.
  2. Arranging the objects on the shelves. I really don't know what to put on the shelves. When I did it myself, before the designer was here, it seemed that I arranged all objects on every shelf like this.

. . .

Now, it seems that I'm doing everything like this.

... . or . ...

I have a lot of Waterford, but mostly smaller pieces. I do have a few taller Waterford vases, but they are too tall for the shelves. I also have a lot of decorative plates (but not in any one color group), but I was concerned that it might make the room seem too Victorian.

1. Window Treatments. I was thinking of a treatment just around the top - what color would you suggest?

I am soooo..... open to any suggestions. I would love to hear your thoughts. So come on, everyone, from designer to lurker, don't be afraid to tell me your thoughts. I'm not a designer by vocation, so you won't hurt my feelings by telling me I'm doing it all wrong. Thanks for your help!!

Comments (16)

• brutuses
    15 years ago

I copied these photo's from a thread someone posted here. My apologies to the owner of these beautiful bookcases, I didn't copy the entire thread, just the photo's. I hope she doesn't mind that I'm posting them without her name. Hopefully she will see this and come forward to take credit for them. I just think they are perfect

They may help you to get yours back in the order you want them.

• eliza_824
    15 years ago

Window treatment: I don't know that I'd do a valance or a curtain because it would make your windows area look to crowded and look less spacious and open. I think you should maybe go with some mini wood-blinds to match your cabinets, but you really need on the wall space above and between your windows. To tie in to your black chairs, I'd maybe do a long, horizontal black wrought-iron plate rack (hope this makes sense- I can visualize it!) with some colorful plates. You could even mix and match your pretty blue plates with some plates with reds, golds & and maybe a hint of sage green (yes, green- I think it would look good). Your stained shelves are so nice, but I think the design of the items needs to have a little bit more of a "cozy" feel. Maybe you could put some books up there (maybe some nice cookbooks, with colorful spines!) Maybe incorporate onto the shelves some family photos in pretty black frames to, again, tie into the pretty black chairs you have! And is that a window seat?? How nice! You definitely need some pretty pillows- maybe you could do a french-blue design, mixed with red... just thinking... hope some of this helps! None of this may be your style, but I think this would help, really. You have a lovely kitchen. And again, I love your dining chairs! I'm thinking some kind of greenery (ivy) on the tops of your shelves, too. Let me know if any of this helps! I don't think this would clash with your granite like you might think.

• les917
    15 years ago

What an appealing area! I think you are on your way to the french country look you seek. The secret, imo, is in the details now.

Your wall color seems fine - is there a reason you want to change it?

I would paint the backs of the display cabinets in the wall color. The brown of the cabinets doesn't do justice to your pieces on the shelves. Then look for some other items to add to the shelves, and don't try to make the contents of the two cabinets symmetrical. Some cookbooks on half of some of the shelves, perhaps a small potted fern on one shelf, a collection of candlesticks on another, a grouping of pitchers on one, etc. Also look for some larger pieces, rather than everything on the small side. Look for some interesting pottery pieces, faience like Quimper ware, to bring some color and interest to the shelves,

I would like to see your window treatment start higher on the wall than the cabinets, but I think the crown on the cabinets limits that. So, I would try to add a darker rod and rings, and do a valance that comes down no further than the bottom of the top pane of the windows. Perhaps something like this:

empire valance

I would do a wonderful print for the front, with a lining in a companion stripe or check. Then make a cushion for the window bench in the companion fabric, and add some back pillows in the front print, as well as a third fabric.

This could be a great print fabric in there:

classic

Then this for the liner, and the bench cushion:

ballroom onyx plaid

Perhaps this as your third fabric;

knighthood garnet

I would also think about adding a rug under the dining table area.

• parma42
    15 years ago

I have so many of the same elements in our home.

My granite is Golden River, which looks identical to yours, sans the burgundy. My cabs are stained maple and the walls are SW Blonde with stainless appliances. I envy you your lovely bookcases and window seat.

I have a large collection of faience, from Provence, that I'd add to those cases. Gold, green and red are the colors of the potteries. Do large pieces, like chunky cookbooks and European travel/language books. An older wood vase, a picture leaned against the back, an small old mirror...just a few ideas.

I'd save the crystal for a more formal area and just add a piece or two for sparkle.

The window treatments would depend on how much you wanted to cover. I could see beautiful roman shades or a valance treatment like Les had linked. You've made such a nice combination of a formal table with more relaxed styling in your chairs that you could go in either direction with the WTs. Fot the window seat, a coordinating check would work.

I'm not sure what you mean about the color. Are you planning to change the Blonde?

• Ideefixe
    15 years ago

I'd do curtains and a matching/coordinating cushion on the top of that windowseat/bench, anmd maybe a coordinating rug under the table, if you don't have kids that spill.

I'd also put much more stuff on those shelves--they look lonely. Cookbooks, but nicely arranged, and then food related things--with texture, like pottery, metal, etc.

And notmally, I don't like items on top of case goods, but I think some statement-making objects--large mortar/pestle, for example--would be great on top of the bookcases.

• ronbre
    15 years ago

i think the most important thing for you to do to finish off your room is add some fabrics and plants..a golden brown fabric would be good or some other browns or brown pattern, and i would do at least a valance and some pillows on the window seat..but i think a long cusion or several cusions on the window seat would be nice and then a few throw pillows maybe in black and brown ..if you are going traditional as it seems..you might want to add some fringe or rope to your valence and possibly a longer bit on each side that reaches down to the window seat or almost..like a triangle or wedge shape piece..beads might also be nice as a fringe on the drapery as it would reflect the light coming in the window...put your drapery rod or a cornice up at the level of the top of the builtins..if you have fabric that matches the chairs that would be really nice for either the cushions or throw pillows..if not you may even consider a brown and black stripe..you have a beautiful home...maybe also an ivy to dangle down from the builtins to soften them..

• beachgirlok
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Several have asked about the wall color. I'm not planning to change it - just thought you might want to know the color when making your suggestions. :)

• jlj48
    15 years ago

Your space is beautiful and your built in cabinets lovely. But I am having a hard time with the white of the windows next to the stained cabinets. I think you either need to go one way or the other. Either have window treatments with color and/or wooden or bamboo blinds or paint the built in window seat and cabinets white to tie it all together. I would hesitate to paint since it matches your existing kitchen cabinets, but the contrast for me is too much. Love the idea of the black wrought iron plate rack, and I would love to see your shelves just be useable space. Put your cookbooks there, place some special momentos, maybe a plant, maybe some photos. Make it your own. As long as you have a few pieces tie in with your color scheme, it will all work. Would love to see a colorful cushion for the bench and pillows. JMO. Wonderful kitchen. I'm envious.

• Cyndi Charney
    15 years ago

First, forgive me if this already been said, but I haven't read through everyones posts. I definitely think you need window treatments. Even if you have a wonderful view, you need something to soften the hard lines of that wall. I would also recommend a cushion in a coordinating fabric for the window seat. It looks like your style is french country and I would stick to that. Once you've selected your fabric(s), then I would start selecting accessories. One thing more that I want to say about the WT, is make sure the style has movement. Don't go with a simple valance. You need something with a more irregular shape to break up all of the right angles and straight lines created by the cabinets and window. It does look like you have the beginnings of a great foundation and with some WTs and accessories, the room will look even better.

• beachgirlok
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Has anyone else noticed how you look at a picture of your house, and it looks so different than it does when you look at it in person every day?

• caminnc
    15 years ago

I think old world wooden shutters would look fab on your windows. I would also add a rug and heavier frames on your art work. Plates would look good hung over the windows. I would use royal blue as your accent color. Here is a picture of wooden shutters.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pierre Deux

• nanny2a
    15 years ago

I think Les's suggestions nailed it.....I can visualize everything she recommended and see the warmth and old world flavor it would bring into that great dining space. Have fun with it!

• teacats
    15 years ago

How about this toile for the curtains and window seat cushion -- and then get a large-check fabric for the chair cushions?

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

Here is a link that might be useful: Fabricguru.com

• teacats
    15 years ago

Or this one?

Jan

Here is a link that might be useful: Another toile depicting children fishing at old watermill

• teacats
    15 years ago

I love this fabric -- tres chic!

Jan

Here is a link that might be useful: Toile

• teacats
    15 years ago

Les' ideas are brillant -- as always! I'm including a photo of the shelf along the back wall of my tiny kitchen -- JUST for ideas for things to collect (white ironstone, copper, old wood bowls etc.) or look for when you are out-and-about: