Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
megsy_gw

How would you improve curb appeal on my house?

megsy
14 years ago

We live in a Houston suburb which pretty much equals our house looks exactly like our neighbors'. *sigh* I moved here from South Louisiana, which of course has precious Acadian Style homes and I really, really miss the charm.

But we moved here for DH's job and I love the school and I'm slowly making the inside my own. But I really need help with the outside.

These are the before-trimming-the-trees and removing the landscaping stones that surrounded the beds and trees. We did that today but by the time we were finished it was too late to take pictures. I'll update with those tomorrow so you can see the house better.

We're on a budget but I almost want to know what you would do if you could wave a magic wand where anything goes. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

I hate the brick color. Hate.it. But the layout suits us perfectly on the inside and after looking at 70 houses it was decided this was the one. I love the neighborhood. We walk to school, there are tons of kids. I'm glad we chose this place to live (even if I hate the bricks). Might I hate the bricks less if we painted the siding? I was thinking BM Alexandria Beige or Ashley Gray. I don't think staining or painting the bricks is an option; our HOA is really strict about that sorts of stuff but I do think a darker siding color would be approved. (Okay after previewing, the color of the bricks doesn't look so bad in pics; IRL it's much more pink)

As I said earlier, today we trimmed the trees back significantly. Removed probably 6 or 7 branches from the pine and tried to do some work with the oak. But unfortunately, I don't think the oak's ever been pruned so it's grown in bizarre ways. We did the best that we could.

Also, we removed all of the gray landscaping stones that surrounded the beds and trees. And took out the Sago palm, the wax myrtle all the way to the left, and the boxwoods that were in front of the holly on the right side of the sidewalk.

Before this gets too long, let me post some pics.

{{gwi:12922}}

Comments (43)

• megsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I guess I should state the things I want, tho.

I want a new front door. No, we need a new front door but I don't like the style of this one. I loved the door on my old house but I don't think the style will go on this one. See old house:

I'd like to build an arbor/trellis over/in front of the garage with something climbing on either end. Something that flowers like mandevilla or clematis.

I'm planning on planting climbing fig ivy on either side of the entryway to grow up that middle part of the house. Hopefully break up some of the brick and add a bit of softness to the house.

I'd love a window box under the 2nd story window on the very front or the house (you can see it in 3rd pic peaking from behind the pine). But can this style of house support a window box? What about shutters? Would it be totally weird to only put shutters on one window? (Only one can accomodate them).

Eventually we'll be replacing the windows with something more energy efficient. I want paned windows.

• tkme4ard
    14 years ago

if it were me I wouldn't put flowering vines in front of the garage, since they attract bee's/wasps. I'm not a fan of the boxed hedges so I would take those out and add something softer. Put a new stain on the fence to give it a fresh look. I think window shutters would look lovely (black?) and a window box as well (have you seen these? http://www.flowerwindowboxes.com/Self-Watering-Window-Box.html Around the trees what about doing the medium sized ish round rocks for a border or plant something with color in them like a flowering hosta

• pps7
    14 years ago

Would they let you paint the brick?

• teacats
    14 years ago

Yes -- changing the color of the siding will certainly help -- in a gray-toned color to work in the tones in the bricks. Also -- paint the garage doors to the same grayed tone -- so that the garage doors are no longer the main visual focal point.

Next -- yes -- a new front door would help too - perhaps in fresh white to work with the color of the door's sidelights and your windows? Then the whole area will become the main focal point. Add a larger half-moon front door mat.

If you can -- have a lantern installed above the front door. Perhaps in black iron?

As for the gardens -- you would have to remove one or even two of the hedges -- and then add LOTS of compost and fresh garden soil to encourage smaller bushes and flowers.

Creating gardens on both sides of the front walkway would be wonderful -- you could even expand the walkway down the left-hand-side of the driveway so your guests stepping out of their cars could walk up to the house.

There appears to be lots of sunlight on the far-left-hand side of your house -- perhaps a raised garden -- bordered by stacked bricks -- would be nice there? Rosemary and other herbs might do well -- check with your garden center.

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• jlc712
    14 years ago

I don't think your brick is bad. Yes, I think changing the siding would look nice. I would choose a gray or taupe color. The landscaping work you've been doing will do a lot for the house too.

Down the road, replacing or painting the garage doors, and replacing the windows will be really nice changes. I think I would go with a light/white front door to show off the entryway. I like your idea for the arbor over the garage.

Enjoy your new home!
    Jen

• neetsiepie
    14 years ago

I don't think shutters would work well. I am glad you pulled out that vegetation...it's quite a mishmash and doesn't go well together.

I would not put a vine over the garage, but a window box in that window would be nice. Did you remove the bush to the right of the driveway? I agree, you need some lighting. I don't see any...do you have something in your entryway? I think you'd do well to have some on your garage.

I am not a fan of straight lines. If you can, I'd tear out that walk to the door and redo it in more sinuous manner, that would enlarge the bed area to the right of the door where you could put in some interesting vegetation. That would be a good place for a flowering tree.

What is your climate and sun exposure? You've got a mature pine and an oak, so that tells me that you live in a pretty dry climate. Whatever you landscape with will need to be able to live with those acidic plants, definitely keep that in mind.

Since you have kids, it would be nice to do some features for them...maybe add a nice bench under the trees, and some birdhouses/feeders.

• Sujafr
    14 years ago

Some time back another GW'er posted that she didn't care for the color of her brick particularly because it didn't mesh well with the siding color on the non-brick portion and that the back didn't tie in well with the front. Unfortunately the GW search isn't working well to find the whole post, but I was so impressed with what she did that I saved the pictures of the before and after.

The thoughts on whether to paint were very mixed on the board here, but in the end, she painted and loved the result. So here are the before and after pictures of the front to show you. The style reminded me somewhat of your home. Good luck with whatever you decide to do and I'm sorry I don't recall whose home this is, but hopefully someone else may remember.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

The house is pretty but looks so austere, almost uninviting the way it is now. I looked at the photos for a while and think the skinny window mullions contribute to it (with no visible curtains behind them, just dark voids)) and definitely the low square hedges!

Are you planning to add any window treatments inside that might soften the windows?

And, mainly, I'd change the plantings if I were you. Softer silouttes, differing textures and varied heights and bed widths would, I think, really help a whole lot.

I think it's a great-looking house, though, and won't need a whole lot to look friendlier!

• suero
    14 years ago

I agree that a gray/taupe color for the siding, garage door, soffits and gutters would go far to improve the look of your house and would mitigate the brick color.

• megsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for all your suggestions! I'm going to reply to them individually but wanted to give you the updated pics.

• megsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Posted same pic twice. Sorry.

• megsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

tkme, thanks for that window box link! Self-watering!! What a dream ... Thanks for the other suggestions too. So you think one set of shutters is okay?

pps7, I'm assuming they wouldn't let me paint the bricks since not a single one of the homes in our POA have painted bricks. I asked my neighbor if she thought they'd let me stain them and she said probably not. I'm going to ask anyway just to see, but what I'm wrestling with is how much money do we want to put into this house? It's not our forever home, kwim? The siding needs to be painted anyway so I do think that a greyish taupeish color would help me tolerate the bricks much better.

teacats, one of the things on the long-term project list is making the sidewalk a better shape. I'm glad you think it should be done too because I'm going to need to convince DH of this. The thing is though that I want to reshape the landscaping when we do that and it's just not in the budget right now. A new lantern is on the short-term todo list. I'm undecided on whether or not to remove the holly in the back. I hate hedges so part of me wants to remove them but another part of me think they provide a good backdrop.

jlc712, if you were to replace the garage doors, what would you choose?

pesky, we didn't remove the bush to the right of the driveway yet. But we want to. We just can't decide what to do there instead. Any thoughts? Also, the house faces north. Maybe a little NNE. Climate is South Texas LOL but we do have a sprinkler system if that helps.

sujafr, I remember seeing that transformation too and thought of house jealous I was that I couldn't paint my own! Thanks for the reminder :)

stacey, I want to do window treatments to soften the look but I'm having an issue that really deserves its own thread. Though the windows look the same from the outside, in the room that's on the left of the home (the office), the ceiling is this bizarre architectural deal where it angles upward around the half-moon window. And in the room on the right (the dining), the ceiling is flat and all the way above the half-moon. So I couldn't hang drapes at the same height in both rooms and there are no doorways between the rooms. I really need to take a picture to show you but the dining room is a mess right now /paranoia

• prairiegirlz5
    14 years ago

I think you did a very brave thing by ripping/pruning, and it looks great. I would keep the hedges and the shrub by the driveway for now, they do add to resale value and make a nice uniform background.

Did you tear out the Sago palm because of it's hooks? I'm so jealous, I wish I could grow palms outside! I guess that is the only thing I would question so far.

Well, you asked for opinions. I wouldn't add a window box or shutters. I do like the painted brick home, and think yours is also very nice and formal feeling. To me, the window box and shutters is too cottage-y for your home. Congratulations on your new place!

• megsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Prairie, we took out the Sago because I *hate* them. I can't explain why, but I just do. They're not my thing, kwim?

I like things like agapanthus, caladiums, plumbego, lantana, iris, loropetalum, red ruffle azaleas, hawthornes, geraniums, etc. Most of which I'm planning for the beds. It's just a matter of where exactly ...

Thanks for your input on the window box and shutters. I think that's my issue with this home, its formality. I'm much more of a cottage girl at heart.

What would this style of home be called anyway? Traditional?

• doonie
    14 years ago

IMHO, especially since this isn't your forever home, I would put my money into the landscape and not worry about the brick and garage doors and siding until they need to be changed. A great landscape plan will make a world of difference in your curb appeal. I would work on that and then step back and look at your house again. I suspect you will be happily surprised. That brick color provides a very soft color for the greenery of plants.

A Natchez crepe myrtle is always a pretty landscape specimen. I can see one in the area you took out the Sago. I would enlarge that front bed beside the door and make it a nice deep space where you could plant several layers deep. Nandinas work well in front of the hedges. Just be sure and get the small ones. Take a drive through your neighborhood and see which landscaping appeals to you. You could always take a camera and snap photos for an id reference at a local nursery.

• megsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Doonie, I just googled Natchez Crapes and they're beautiful! I'm going to go on the hunt for them to see if anyone in town carries them.

I suspect you're right regarding the landscaping. That if we're going to do this, why not do it right. Maybe I can get some bids ...

The siding needs painting as I suspect it hasn't been painted since the house was built 10 years ago.

Thanks for the tips!

• greenthumbfish
    14 years ago

Man, I'd have traded you 2 hawthorns for that sago - couldda met in Austin ;-) Did you at least list it on CL or give it away to someone?

I'm with you on the brick color and I'd be asking the HOA about that. If they green light it, I'd do that 1st, but that's just me.

If changing the brick is red lighted, then white caladiums would be a good choice, they'd coordinate well with the brick. The others you mention seem to far to the pink/red to me and would only make me see more of that pink brick.

I won't comment further, because I think we differ too much in our gardening tastes.

• leahcate
    14 years ago

OT: For animal lovers: Our paper told a very sad, but good ending story re. a dog who was severely poisoned by the seeds of A Sago palm. Supposedly, all parts of the plant are poisonous and all are attractive to dogs. News to me, so thought I'd pass it on fwitw.

• greenthumbfish
    14 years ago

FWIW, I have had Sagos and dogs for years with no problems, in addition, I've also had Oleanders and dogs for years with no problems (they are poisous to dogs too).

• nancyvh
    14 years ago

I also live in TX and am well familiar with your style home. Infact, my home is pretty similar. I would agree that a crepe myrtle would be great in your landscape. I would suggest planting it kind of where the house marker is. I'd get rid of the shrubs all together and plant some fresh beds. I would consider replacing the shrubs on the other side of the door(by the garage) w/ a garden bench. A simple concrete one would fit in really nicely and you even use some nice pots near it if you think it is to bare. A couple of my neighbors have done this and it adds a lot of charm to the garden. Also nice to have a place to sit outside(especially if you have kids). It already looks a lot better than your first pics. Good luck!

• doonie
    14 years ago

megsy, we used to live in Houston too over in the Clear Lake area. Hot and humid weather.

The Natchez is one of the prettiest crepe myrtles. It's bark has very appealing interest. I am glad I could help. I look forward to hearing what you decide to do.

• megsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

greenthumb, I tried to give it away on Craigslist and there were no bites! So it went in the trash :( I have another one in the backyard that's coming out soon; it's yours for the taking ;)

Thanks everyone for your assistance. I'll update on what we decide and do!

• smiling
    14 years ago

Looks much better already! Do you have a pressure washer, or know anyone to borrow from? I'd pressure wash the front walkway and front entry, then move those two (concrete?) planters out into that front left corner of the walk.

The lawn was used to more shade from those now-removed branches, so be sure to give it some TLC this spring. More water than the previous owners used, and maybe a little bit of a gentle or half strength fertilizer till it gets accustomed to all the new sunlight.

I like the ideas to paint the siding a gray or taupe, but that may leave you with a more formal feeling that you're not liking. What if you painted the siding and garage doors a dark, rich forest green. If it were mine, I'd also paint the front door that same dark green, and put dark green shutters on the one window I could.

Any chance you can lower the exising lantern from in front of the upper window to a spot in front of the brick between the door and that arched window over it. The scale might be more to your liking, and save you from having to invest in a new lantern.

Before I removed the remaining hedges, I'd cut them to half the height they are now, so that they are not overgrowing the window sills. With your improved light and irrigation, I bet they would fill back in at the lower height in just one season. Then if you still don't like them, just remove them after all, but give it one season to see how they look more trimmed to the windows.

• megsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Smiling, we do have a pressure washer and it's on the list of to-dos after the planting is done.

Very good point about the lawn being used to more shade. Thanks for bringing that up; we hadn't thought about that!

Interesting thought on the color. I've been playing around with Ben Moore's color viewer this afternoon and I'm having fun with it. Though the colors in my fan deck aren't even close to what I'm seeing on screen so I'll be buying a few pints to determine what exact shade of whatever we decide will be the #1 choice.

I'm not sure about lowering the existing lantern (it's old and needs to be replaced anyway) but you've brought up a good point about where it needs to hit. God I love this forum!!

Do you think that if we cut the existing hedges the landscaping would look dwarfed by the size of the house? That's my fear tho I think your idea is a very good one. I'd love to let the holly round out if it could but I don't know enough about holly to know if it would even do that.

• kitchenkelly
    14 years ago

I agree the door doesn't look right with the house. The glass is too fussy. I wonder if you could get just the glass replaced since you are on a budget. I would also add color by painting it. Maybe a dark Graphite grey? Also, I like idea of painting the siding and garage doors a grey (light to medium in my opinion.) Maybe the trim (and window trim) a darker grey.

I like black ironwork to add artwork to an entry. Maybe you could find something for the side walls of the entryway.

Good luck!

• megsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've been playing around with the color viewer and one thing I've noticed is that there's really not an option of doing separate trim/siding color on this house. It's hardiplank so the seams are covered up with vertical planks where the "trim" would be. Especially on the window above the garage, there is less siding than trim and two colors would look especially ridiculous.

I'm okay with doing one color. Most of the houses around here are one color anyway and even the ones that aren't white/offwhite look perfectly fine because of the style.

Anyway, I wanted to show you one mockup I worked on. The shutters and windowbox are a bad photoshop job but I just wanted a general idea. I'm definitely sold on doing them and I think it softens the house up a great deal.

Thoughts?

• nancyvh
    14 years ago

That looks fantastic. Love the brown w/your brick.

• megsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Nancy!

What do you think of this one with darker fascia and soffits (and just the trim around the window)?

• nancyvh
    14 years ago

I like the darker trim. It's very popular around here to do this(I'm in a Dallas suburb) but LOVE the brown shutters and window box. What do you think?

• stlouie
    14 years ago

On an episode of "Sarah's House", the designer Sarah Richardson didn't like the color of her brick either and didn't want to paint because of the upkeep. Somehow she found a company that did something similar to "staining" and it turned out fabulously. Don't know the details, but thought you might want to look into it.

• clady77
    14 years ago

I have a similar house style, I have been wondering how to add curb appeal to my house too. But one thing I do like about my house is that the front door and sidelights are all wood stained. I think that would make a good start to whatever you do to it and perhaps the garage doors too. Would give it a more french country look.

• megsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nancy, I like it but I can't decide if I love it. LOL DH likes it better with fascia and soffits. I think we've decided not to paint the window trim the darker color. It's not a pretty trim, kwim?

I've got posterboards drying in the garage right now and will paste them up shortly (need to check radar) and make some decisions.

Thanks again for all your help, everyone!

• megsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

First test paint. It's BM 998 from the classic colors. Can't remember the name off the top of my head. Also can't decide if it has too much purple in it.

• karinl
    14 years ago

You could use some help from the LD forum on this landscaping. Since you didn't pick the hollies and aren't attached to them, I'll be blunt: for my eye there's not much you can do with paint colours or house details to distract from the very unfortunate placement of those bushes. I'm not saying they couldn't be useful if you combined them with some other landscaping (the other forum people tend to be better at foundation planting issues than I am), but on their own at that height they... are unnecessary, to put it mildly. The house has a very nice foundation, nothing to hide. Do any similar houses in your area have no foundation planting with more greenery further out in the yard instead? I might be inclined to put such a hedge perpendicular to the house if anywhere in that yard, perhaps along the side property line. Cutting them and fleshing out the beds further into the yard with more plantings in front of them might help. I think they will sprout from below if cut back, but check that on the shrubs forum perhaps, or someone on LD might know.

KarinL

• megsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Karin, thank you for your suggestion. I think I might just do that. I lurk in that forum but it's quite intimidating.

DH and I talked today about moving the sidewalk and it's a no-go. It's too much money to invest in a house that's not our forever home. Plus the beds really are deep enough to do some layering of textures/colors which is what I really want.

I was playing around with some landscaping software today and came up with this:
    {{gwi:12925}}

It's a first draft. I'm not sold on the agapanthus because they really only bloom for a short time. But I'll find something ... oh and the fig ivy won't look like that but I was limited in images of the program.

• Lyban zone 4
    14 years ago

I like the dark brown shutters and Window boxes,Maybe just a bit lighter than the window box brown. I think I might also do the hardi planks in the same color and leave the trim.
    I like the landscaping in front of hedges but I would forget about all that greenery around your porch bricks.

• loribee
    14 years ago

You are really on the right track! Some pretty landscaping will really make the change that you are looking for~
    Good luck...

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

I'm not so sure about the climbing plants around the entryway. I think it over-emphasizes that feature in a way that isn't so appealing. And really throws off the balance of the other plantings you've shown. Just my opinion!

• kden71
    14 years ago

I haven't read all of the replies so forgive me if I repeat what has previously been said. I think it would help to soften the angles with your landscaping where the concrete meets the driveway. I would also probably remove the existing greenery and replace it with something less formal and put something that will also add some color. I agree with doonie that a Natchez crepe myrtle would look pretty, if it works in the zone you live in. It looks like they used 3 of them in the landscape of the painted brick home above. Speaking of paint the color you have sampled above looks like it goes well with your brick on my monitor.

Here is a link that might be useful: landscape slideshow

• megsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for your replies. I'm torn on the creeping fig. I wanted it to hide the entryway but I totally see what you mean about emphasizing it.

• lyfia
    14 years ago

What landscaping program did you use?

I honestly don't like the brown trim, it just makes it look dreary to me and the same as you see everywhere, but it is your house and what you like is that matter. I prefer the cream you have now. The window box and shutters might be the exception.

I like the landscaping you drew up, but not so sure about the vine. Is it very shady? If not too shady - society garlic blooms throughout the season and is a good front plant - smaller than agapanthus, but also uses lots less water.

I know you mentioned staining the brick - how about just doing the architectural details by the windows, maybe white wash or a darker stain as those details look almost hidden to me as they are.

• msrose
    14 years ago

I'd also like to know what landscaping program you used. I'm not sold on the creeping fig, but the rest of it is great. Makes all the difference in the world. Just curious, what are the blue/purple flowers? I'd rips those hollies out and use something less boxy for the background. Indian Hawthornes and pretty popular in Texas. Just be sure you get the right size, because some get quite large. Here's a few pictures:

Indian Hawthorne
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Laurie

• megsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lyfia, I used Realtime Landscaping Photo. It's a fun program. Re: the vine, it's not going to be bushy like it is in the photo. It would be flat against the house. But that photo is the only one available in the program.

Msrose, I thought about Hawthornes to replace the holly. We used them in our old house and I loved them. Thanks for the suggestion. The blue flowering plants are agapanthus.