Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goldgirl_gw

In shock - DH wants new DR table, so which one?

goldgirl
15 years ago

While debating what kind of rug to put in the dining room, I mentioned to DH that I was pining for a round table to better fit in our square room. We're both conservative about spending money and my practical side usually keeps me from splurging. However, this morning DH said he would really prefer a round table. After looking today, I agree :) Here are some options we saw - we like them all, but I want to make sure the table isn't too "refined" for my chairs, which are substantial in size. I'm thinking the tables with hanging edges balance the chairs a little better?

Thoughts?

Here are the existing chairs (the rug was going to replaced anyway), fabric is black with gold laurels and wreaths:

{{!gwi}}

Millender: saw this on the Web tonight and have no clue about price. Seems like a good fit, as the chairs in the photo are close in style to mine.

{{!gwi}}

Stickley:

{{!gwi}}

Council: the most expensive, unless Millender is higher. This photo doesn't do it justice, but the top has a large inset star, which would mimic the upholstery. We would get a 60", which doesn't have the leaves.

{{!gwi}}

Henkel-Harris:

{{!gwi}}

Comments (13)

• leahcate
    15 years ago

I like the style of the first table with your chairs, but not certain about the stain colors? All are gorgeous, as are your chairs. Lucky girl!

• goldgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

leahcate - I should have mentioned that they all come in a variety of stains so that will certainly play a part in the decision. I doubt I can get an exact match.

I also should have mentioned that there is a matching round table from the original manufacturer (Leda, in Canada) but I'm having trouble getting information (like price and size) from the company. We bought it from Danker (closed, I think) in MD about five years ago and I've only found one retailer in NJ. When I called, they had no information.

• parma42
    15 years ago

I was following your rug thread, with interest.

Just my opinion, but if I were looking at tables in that price range, I'd split the money between the rug and table. You could still get a great round table, something like Drexel/Heritage and have enough left over to splurge on a hand-knotted rug instead of hand-tufted.

I'm just a rug junkie, though. :)

• threedgrad
    15 years ago

I like the first table best also.

• CaroleOH
    15 years ago

I like the first one too. Actually all three are beautiful. I'd check out the pricing though, I am amazed at how expensive these dining room tables can be. Do you use your DR alot? I have a fairly inexpensive table in mine because its a room we use twice a year and I just wanted something that looked "nice" to fill the room. Once you get pricing you can decide which one fit your budget best.

• juddgirl2
    15 years ago

I like the first and third the most - which means they're probably the most expensive!

• robin_DC
    15 years ago

Another vote for the 1st one.

• goldgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Actually, it's just two of us, but we use our dining room daily to eat...because the kitchen area where normal people have a table holds crates for our five Goldens :)

In fact, the dining room is sort of our escape - one dog-free room where we can have higher-end furniture and artwork. It's definitely our "splurge" area. So, we're okay spending more there, since we have to think about dogs when furnishing the rest of the house.

The tables I've shown vary widely in price but several are relatively reasonable because the manufacturers are having a difficult time. The Council table is way more than I'd spend, but I was curious what people thought.

Parma - I'll still need a new rug, but a round one instead :)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

My vote is definitely for the first table, Millender, which I think is totally gorgeous. I'm curious, though,why you think you must have a round rug. A rectangular rug looks great with a round table, as it does with an oval one which is what I have. Please do consider getting a rectangular rug will will play off against the roundness of the table. Round table and round rug = boring (at least in my humble opinion).

• yayagal
    15 years ago

First table for me too. It's gorgeous and warmer looking to me.

• mrsmarv
    15 years ago

Number 1, as well. The legs on it are the most complementary to the legs on your chairs. I agree with the above posters about nixing the round rug. The rectangular one will give it a bit more interest. Just MHO.

• parma42
    15 years ago

I think you could do whatever shape rug you'd like.

I was looking at a rectangular one, to go with my round table, but then Les nudged me into a round. That's what DH wanted, anyhow, so it was an easy cave on my part.

Being a fringe lover, a round was nice, too.

• goldgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So, the round table by our set's manufacturer only comes 48" with an 18" leaf that would make it an oval. Not really what we want, and I can't see it (or anything similar) in person. Leda gave me the name of one dealer (no samples and is over an hour away) and has ignored multiple requests for others). Honestly, I'm hesitant to order given their reluctance to provide information. Our set was a floor-sample steal five years ago but I have no idea if the quality is the same now.

So, it looks like we'll have to go with a table by a different manufacturer. I'm still scouring the Web sites to make sure I haven't missed anything.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville