Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

What is on the bottom of your dining chairs, if anything?

TxMarti
10 years ago

We used to have a tile with a glossy finish and my wood chairs were fine with nothing on them. When we first put down the new tile, with a matte finish, we had chairs with rollers. But since one almost rolled out from under mil, I put the old chairs back in. They look better anyway. But they scrape on the tile.

I've seen metal tips with something that inserts into the chair, which means I'd have to drill into the chair leg and I don't want to do that. Is there anything with an adhesive that stays on? Felt or plastic?

This post was edited by marti8a on Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 22:04

Comments (10)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

We have adhesive felt on the bottom of all our chairs so they don't scratch the floor.

• Ilene Perl
    10 years ago

I also have felt glued on to my wood chairs, using a hot blue gun worked better for me than the adhesive they came with which didn't last long.

• bbstx
    10 years ago

I had tile floors in my former house. At first I used self-stick felt pads, but they were always coming off the chair leg. Then a friend recommended plastic glides/slides similar to the ones attached. I think I got mine at Home Depot. They resemble very shallow plastic cups that cover the metal glides on the bottom of the chair. Worked like a charm, even though they would occasionally get askew and need re-straightening, or even replacing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Self-Stick Chair Glides

• mellyc123
    10 years ago

Some of my chairs had metal feet and some had plastic. Almost like big tacks. Nothing you would need to drill for, maybe lightly hammer.

All of these marked up my white tile floor so we have the stick on felt circles we bought at Lowe's that are made for this. I think my husband removed the metal tacks before putting the felt on.

I have not had any problem with them coming off and have 2 boys using the breakfast chairs multiple times a day.

• Lady_West
    10 years ago

The felt ones never work for me. They eventually fall off, and if they manage to hang on the adhesive never fails to attract a ring of pet hair and other grossness. I need to find those plastic thumbtack things, surely they will work better.

• maddielee
    10 years ago

I found the felt pads were a magnet for dog hair. I recently replaced them with the plastic gliders, they work much better.

ML

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

I tried the plastic but found they could get tiny pieces of grit embedded and then scratch the floors so went back to the felt. Felt does attract some dog hair but I vacuum it off when that happens. They don't last forever, flatten out over time but are easily replaced. And as mentioned above, hot glue helps hold them for high use chairs but I don't need that on my dining room chairs, just in the kitchen which gets more use. I bought a huge bag of generic pads at Menards years ago and they work fine. Looks like Lumber Liquidators has the same kind of thing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Felt pads at Lumber Liquidators

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone. I forgot about the dog hair. That was a problem the last time I used these chairs with felt pads. But I'll use them rather than listen to that scraping sound when the chairs are moved. I do think I'll try the plastic glide ones first though.

• peony4
    10 years ago

Another user of the felt. Yes, it collects dog hair, but in my house, what doesn't?

I'm researching this now because we're having wood floors refinished. The main area of wear is under the kitchen counter stools that kids use daily. Not sure about the plastic glides if they gather small particles that scratch, too. This seems like an equal problem to the dog hair.

• bbstx
    10 years ago

The OP asked about protecting her tile floors. I think we've sorta drifted over to wood floors. I agree that the plastic glides would not be ideal for wood floors. My problem with felt on tile floors was that the grout lines would dislodge the felt pads. I think I would go with felt on wood and plastic glides on tile.

FWIW, I touched up several places in my wood floors yesterday with Minwax touch up markers. Worked like a charm! The one I linked below is Golden Oak, but they come in a variety of shades. It even covered where the dishwasher had been pushed into place, leaving a pretty good scratch on the floor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Minwax Touch-Up Marker