Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kswl2

Color Scheme and Fabrics for basement Renovation

kswl2
10 years ago

I have the preliminary color scheme for the basement, the fabric samples, lamp choices, drawings for the fireplace wall, etc. My favorite colors are red and green, and those are represented but are accessory colors, with the main color a beautiful pumpkin spice. We still need to choose a wall color and are thinking a stone color / light taupe. This scheme represents a shift from the lighter and clearer colors I usually gravitate towards. It will be cozy and very autumnal feeling.

Almost all the fabrics are from Duralee. I told ID I didn't want to go crazy with fabrics---it is a basement, after all---so the selections are between $45 and $65, which puts them right in the range, and all have a high cotton content, another requirement. The two trims are from Samuel and Sons, a red leather piping for pillows and a great tape that has little blocks of velvet in ever lighter colors. They are both around $30 per yard. I am already thinking how wonderful the tape would look around the bottom edge of the sofas...

Sofa color in spice, decorative tape trim, and throw pillow fabric. Trim is for the pillows but I am thinking about it for the bottom edge of sofas:

Here is another possibility for the sofa and pillows, or for the swivel chairs. The velvet is a medium weight 100% cotton:

The stripe will be on the bolster pillows on the daybeds with the honey colored mattress shown, and the paisley piped with red leather MAY be the throw pillows. I like the pattern but am thinking a lighter paisley colorway would be....lighter :-)

May go with green pillows on the daybeds:

Closeup of the trim:

Green pillow fabric with paisley:

This post was edited by kswl on Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 22:45

Comments (22)

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They grouted a few bricks in the corner of the back room so I could look at the oyster gray color and we could determine the wall color. The color sample is Benjamin Moore's Baja Dunes. It is too dark for the walls but matches up nicely with the grout /mortar, so a lighter shade of this is what's needed. The woodwork will be a slightly darker color and the trim will be a few shades lighter. The siding in the front room will be a light stone color.

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am now trying to decide on the finish for the sconces on either side of the fireplace above the mantel and the swing arm lamps that will be installed at both ends of both fireplaces. ID favors brushed nickel, while I am leaning towards satin brass which is perhaps a more obvious choice, but a metal I really like. He says stylistically that a black finish would also work for the sconces, so I am considering a mix of brass and black. Maybe!

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Yum. The fabrics and colors are gorgeous.

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am still sorting through the options. Will try to post the fireplace wall elevation if I get it reduced on a copier today (I try to keep several more manageable letter sized copies around to hand out as needed to the electricians, drywallers, etc.). The fireplace sconces are simple vertical plates with a single candle (an electric light candle, obviously) with a round magnifying glass hanging in front of the bulb. The sconces for another wall are small lanterns, and the swing arm lamps will have drum shades.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

That floor is totally to die for, KSWL. It was worth all of the trouble.

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am counting on it! Everyone keeps asking me how I am going to clean it. It makes me wonder if they clean their brick patios every time they sit outside? It will be vacuumed, and that's it. We will have a runner on the stair, probably wool sisal look, cut and bound from the same carpet that is in bedrooms upstairs. I am thinking just to do it on the short stair from the landing, and do a small square oriental rug on the landing . That should be enough to catch any of the dreaded brick dust that is apparently going to take over like some monster in a Houzz age horror movie!

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I think brushed nickel would be way too cool and contemporary for what you're trying to achieve and would be very out of place.

How about aged bronze?

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

I am crazy about your brick floor!! The fabrics are all nice choices - I am really looking forward to see the end result. Funny that people are worried about cleaning the brick - to my mind it would be the most carefree of floors....

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is at least half the raison d'être for a brick floor, I agree!

Adding that I am not really fond of bronze hardware in my house. I love it in other people's homes, but it looks out of place in my own, for many reasons. I am thinking a mix of black and aged or satin brass, possibly brass for the sconces above the mantel and lamps in the seating area, and black for the lantern sconces.

This post was edited by kswl on Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 11:35

• Sheeisback_GW
    10 years ago

I haven't posted on your basment threads, but have been following and am so excited to see it all done! It's going to look great and cozy! Is the paisley fabric by Duralee?

I like the the idea of the black and brass metal mix. I just can't picture the nickel working quite as well.

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes that paisley is Duralee. We had another conference this morning and he is going to look for something lighter. I like the fabric, it is much better looking IRL than in the photos, but it's too dark. I've asked for a lighter paisley or a toile. I know, I know....but he had some he considered that are not flowery pretty but more masculine. I guess--- no Fragonard couples in the woods picnicking :-)

Sticker shock on the lighting--- the lantern sconces are $1100 each, while those with the round hanging glass, which I like better anyway, are about half that, so I think I will use those for all four wall sconces. ( They won't be in the same area.) The sconces come in a distressed gold-ish finish that will look fab with the Baker Stocket end table. We are getting that in a yummy fruitwood finish with all four legs sheathed in a goldish aged bronze. That table is literally, TDF! It will go between the swivel chairs in the larger room. Looking at a hickory chair end table for the other one. It is coming along!

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Two new paisleys. First the red:

This post was edited by kswl on Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 17:22

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And another. This looks bluish on the monitor but it is actually gray, taupe, and green, and there is an additional fabric in a large scale check off white and taupe.

• Lyban zone 4
    10 years ago

I like your original fabrics the best.

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will receive one of these tomorrow and two others on Wednesday, and will see how they compare to the originals, especially with the floor and proposed wall color. We won't proceed until all the major elements are chosen---wall color, trim color, woodwork/fireplace built in wall, lighting, and case goods. The last decisions will be the new felt color for the pool table, two large rugs, a runner for the short stair segment and a small rug for the landing.. Artwork will have to be purchased over time, I am not sure what I want down there yet, but possibly black and white or sepia photographs.... not sure.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Your first palette, to me, is without flaw, but I feel as though I have seen it before.

I am a big, big fan of the palette you posted today at 17:19. It seems a little different, yet still consistent with what I have seen of your house. A little brighter, lighter too. The first one feels like permanent autumn to me.

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, permanent autumn is a good description. When the paisley was removed from that palette it was much much lighter, yet lacked focus. I do like the idea of using paisley as a print, just not sure we have found the right one yet. The taupe/gray/ green palette is almost heretical in my eyes as it does not contain red--- lol, I know. These new paisleys go over the general individual fabric budget range at $70 wholesale, but if either is wonderful i would do it. The other problem about the group you like is that it doesn't include my favorite textured stripe (in the recent red group, the third small folded fabric from the top). And we do not know how it will play with the mattresses. Many moving parts still in this puzzle. And I am also getting a tartan memo sample to go with the red paisley group, a delicious mix of red, olive green and taupe, quite expensive but it would be wonderful with red leather piping and it is not an upholstery fabric anyway, just for pillows or bolsters. The new fabric additions are from Hines and Co.

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One of the paisleys arrived.....this shows the colors better, I think. Still waiting for the large scale check:

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And the reds with the tartan but still waiting for the paisley:

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Oh, I can see why you like the tartan, too.

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am going to have to take a drastic step and call my mother. :-)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

LOL!

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling