Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threeapples

Who makes the best blackout shades you've used?

threeapples
11 years ago

In our current house we have made-to-measure blackout shades from JC Penney in our kids' rooms. In one room the shade has worked well, but in the other room (which has three windows) none of the shades have held up well. They don't spring up well or evenly and are generally just not a quality product. I need to get some blackout shades for a room in the next house and am willing to spend a bit more than the JC Penney shades because I'd prefer to not have to replace them soon after purchase, but don't have any other experience with such a product so I don't know where to look. Any recommendations?

Comments (7)

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

The Shade Store. Get chain loop control

Here is a link that might be useful: Shade Store Blackout Shades

• bobtheblindguy
    11 years ago

I think room darkening cellular shades block out the most light, and Flat Romans with light blocking lining a close second. But they have to be measured correctly. Not sure what type of treatments you have been having problems with but it sounds like roller shades. If that's the case, either of these will be a big improvement.

Here is a link that might be useful: Room Darkening Shades

This post was edited by bobtheblindguy on Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 23:41

• done_again_2
    11 years ago

We have made to order Levelor cellular shades from Home Depot in our bedrooms and bathroom. They're the blackout kind and cordless. After about 18 months, one of the shades broke. It's being repaired/replaced by Levelor now. They seem to be decent quality for the most part and go up/down okay. Initially, they ordered the non blackout kind and sent them for installation. They did replace them with the correct kind but we got to live with the standard one for a few weeks. There was a significant difference in the amount of light between the two. You can still see light around the edges so are more like room darkening than blackout, in my opinion.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

We had a roller shade on a double window in one bedroom and it didn't stand up at all, so we just went "Blinds to Go" and got a replacement...it's chain controlled, guaranteed for life. It was pricey but I was very impressed with things like a really sturdy metal bracket for the shade and heavy duty mechanisms. So you're clearly were getting more for your money. I suspect this will last our lifetime in the house.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blinds to go

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the recent responses. I think you're right, Annie, you get what you pay for. My kids have serious dust allergies and the cellular shades are a nightmare for that, so this blinds to go option sounds great all around. I'll check out the shade store, too, palimpsest--thanks.

• cube1067
    11 years ago

I got some blackout roller shades form a online vendor - Shades, Shutters, & Blinds..

I got a chain pull and the finished header....

Their blackout is spectacularly good - no light gets through from either side (outside-in or inside-out).

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, cube, that sounds really promising.