Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crl_

Are chandeliers in the living room trendy?

crl_
10 years ago

I don't remember ever seeing a chandelier or even a picture of a chandelier in a living room until about ten years ago. But I have no idea if that is just a function of my limited experience or if they are mostly a more recent, and perhaps trendy, phenomenon.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Comments (12)

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

Unless you live in a 19th c. or early 20th c. house, yes they are a trend.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I haven't even seen one in the last 10 years (or 63 to be exact!)

• teacats
    10 years ago

Here is a pin board from Pinterest with many rooms with chandeliers .....

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest -- gorgeous pinboard of romantic rooms and chandeliers

• crl_
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have seen lots of pictures of them recently, but none IRL. I would think you would need a higher than usual ceiling, or be willing to fix the furniture layout somewhat permanently so the chandelier would be over the coffee table (or ottoman as substitute coffee table).

I actually have a high and fancy living room ceiling now, but no ceiling light fixture of any kind. The house was built in 1926, so perhaps that is a function of its vintage (too recent)? I have toyed with the idea of a fixture to provide more layers of lighting in the room, but am reluctant to cut holes in the original plaster of such a lovely feature. I suspect the cost of the project would deter me regardless, but it made me wonder about the trendiness or non-trendiness of chandeliers in living rooms.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

we have purchased another house--- it is 4 yrs old. it has a chandy in the living room. i will probably keep it there since i'm not sure what else i would put there...
    but, i don't think i'd call chandeliers in living rooms trendy--- i would call more abundant use of chandeliers trendy- chandys in bedrooms and bathrooms is more trendy than chandys in living rooms i think...

• crl_
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh right, I think that may be it. Chandeliers have been proliferating in all kinds of rooms. Thanks!

• amberm145_gw
    10 years ago

My grandmother had chandeliers in her bedrooms in the 80s, possibly put there decades earlier. I don't think of that as a current trend.

Although the 90s were definitely more subdued. We used sponge walls instead of glittery bling.

• Jeannine
    10 years ago

I can't think of a dining room I've seen that didn't have a chandelier. I'm seriously thinking hard about this. Whether they are crystal, brass, iron, or some other material, I have only been in dining rooms with chandeliers.

What else would be used? Lamps? Can lights? Flush mounts?

• crl_
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Actually, my dining room had a flush mount fixture until a couple of weeks ago when I switched it to a chandelier. Given the apparent age of the fixture, it had almost certainly been there for several decades.

But the original question was about living rooms.

Dining rooms are the only rooms that I remember seeing chandeliers in until the the last ten years or so.

• Jeannine
    10 years ago

OH MY WORD!

I am so embarrassed. I totally misread the thread. I was totally baffled! Hahaha.

• crl_
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lol. I totally have those moments too. It's like my eyes see what my brain expects instead of the words that are really there.

• User
    10 years ago

We have a chandelier in our living room, below. The ceiling in that vault is 14 ft. The fixture is 45 " tall exclusive of the chain, which gives you an idea of the scale. The light is black iron, as is the stair railing and gate to the downstairs level. We remodeled the house when we moved here 8 years ago. The room needed more light and this chandelier from a foundry in California replaced the biggest ceiling fan I ever saw in my life. Good trade, if I do say so myself!

The walls are not really electric eel green! They are actually a much softer green than in this photo.

Edited to correct an egregious spelling error!

This post was edited by kswl on Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 9:54

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm