Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ideamom_gw

Update: Here's my Farmer's Market sign I made!!

ideamom
16 years ago

A couple weeks ago I asked you all if anyone knew where I could get an old wood Farmer's Market sign. My last name is Farmer so I thought it would be cool to have a Farmer's Market sign in my kitchen. You all said that it would be extremely hard to find & if I did find one it would be soooo very expensive & you suggested I make one myself. Well I did just that today and wanted to show you my MASTERPIECE! It's awesome, if I do say so myself! It was fun to make! It is 67" X 8". Hubby is proud of it too. He showed a couple neighbors and they all said WOW that looks super old. One said hey you should sell those signs..LOL. Hubby just went up to Lowe's to get hardware to hang it up in the kitchen. I didn't want it to look country as nothing in my home is country. I was going more for an old world look and I think I achieved it. What do ya think?

Comments (32)

• denali2007
    16 years ago

Love it! Do tell us how you made it. Doesn't look country at all.

• justnotmartha
    16 years ago

THAT LOOKS FANTASTIC!! I'm so glad you posted this as I just saw a Farmer's Market sign at Home Goods today and almost bought it for you! It was nothing compared to yours though - you did an amazingly detailed job!

• teacats
    16 years ago

Excellent job!! Really fantastic!

Jan

• graywritingdog
    16 years ago

Nice job!

• ideamom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Denali: I used a piece of oak board (but pine would work fine) the oak is just what we had left over from an old project. I distressed the wood with a nail prybar, hammer, rough file, screw driver. Painted it black, let that dry then put on a crackle medium, let that dry, then painted over the crackle medium with a light creamy gold. Then after that was dry I stenciled Farmer's Market. Then dry brushed burnt umber on the whole sign making it heavier on the edges. Followed by a light sanding to scuff up the wording. After that DH added iron pieces to the sign & used a keyhole router to anchor the sign to the wall.

Justnotmartha: Awe that was sweet of you to remember me & my post about the sign. Thanks for the compliments on the sign. I like it too!

teacats: Thank you! It was fun to make!!

• User
    16 years ago

You did an awesome job! I love it and how perfect for your family!

• texanjana
    16 years ago

You did a beautiful job!

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

That's *amazing*! Do you have a picture of it installed?

So cool, and you're one of the few folks who really has the right to a Farmer's Market sign :)

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Ya done good! Where did you get the medallions on the ends?

• n2cookin
    16 years ago

HOLY CRAP that looks nice! Wow, and to think you wanted to buy one. You totally underestimated your talent big time. You should be soo proud!

• lorriekay
    16 years ago

It is awesome! VERY nice! Did you stencil it? I made a rustic sign myself a couple weeks ago - maybe I will post a pic of it.
    You did a great job :)

• Sujafr
    16 years ago

Wow! You're really talented and so helpful of you to post the great pictures of your sign and the details of how you accomplished that fantastic look. I especially like the style you chose so the lettering looks "old world". Super!

• roguevalley
    16 years ago

That looks so great!!!! So much better than anything I think you would have bought premade. Definately looks old world but NOT country. Way to go! Show us when you get it hung, also.

• les917
    16 years ago

Great job - you have more talent than I think you realized. I see more signs in your future, for friends and family, once they get a look at the one you created!

• texashottie
    16 years ago

Whoah!! That's awesome!! I'm very impressed and so glad that you posted! Better than anything store-bought!

• brutuses
    16 years ago

You did a great job on that piece.

• snickysnacker
    16 years ago

That is terrific!! You really are talented. What type of stencil did you use for the lettering??
    Great job.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

That looks great! Beautiful job : )

• wisrose
    16 years ago

Awesome creation! Did you not know you were capable of this quality? Start working on Christmas presents!

• valzone5
    16 years ago

Very nice!!!

• graywings123
    16 years ago

That is just lovely! And thanks so much for the details on how you did it.

• reno_fan
    16 years ago

That's awesome. That sign would cost at least $89.99 in a Ballard Design catalog!

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

Boy, you nailed it!! Well not yet. Seriously, with your stated goal, it is perfect and the knowledge that you did it yourself give it another dimension.

• merj
    16 years ago

You have quite the untapped talent there. It's gorgeous!

Where did you find the stencil? That is an unusual font.

• texashottie
    16 years ago

You need to start working on some furniture next. Buy some pieces off of CL and give them a makeover. You could sell that stuff!

• tetrazzini
    16 years ago

That's amazing. The close-up shots show how great it looks! Had you ever done anything like that before? How'd you figure out how to do it?

• mrslimestone
    16 years ago

Really impressive. You definitely have a talent for it!

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

Amazing! If you ever go into business, let me know--I'd be a customer, for sure. :)

• robynpa
    16 years ago

I love it and you did a wonderful job. I would buy one!

• ideamom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you everyone for the kind words!! Now let me try to answer some of the questions you all had.
    I bought the cast iron medallion pieces at Hobby Lobby.
    Yes, the lettering was stenciled and I made the stencil.
    I have always been creative & crafty so knew I could make it however since I never had made a sign before I figured if it didn't turn out good I could just throw it away since there wasn't much money into it. I used what I had around the house. The only thing I bought were the iron pieces.
    Since so many of you said I could sell these signs...I put it on eBay to test the market. If it sells for a decent amount I will make another. Wish me luck. My 19 yr old now wants to make a sign for her room so I'll show you when it is completed.

Here is a link that might be useful: farmer's market sign on ebay

• juddgirl2
    16 years ago

Great job! Can I ask how you made the stencil?

• ladyamity
    16 years ago

In similar words of N2Cookin ---
    HOLY QUAP, is that ever Beautiful!

We were at a very large antique mall last weekend looking for Old Worldy/Mediterranean things, or at least to get ideas.
    Some folks set up kiosks down the middle of the mall and sell their own homemade wares.
    I specifically had my eye on signs, metal or wood, two for my kitchen and one for my not-yet-maybe-never-completed bathroom.

One wood sign, not even as long as yours that said something about Laugh, Live and something else I can't remember right now, was NOT anywhere as wonderful as yours, not even a crackle finish and was priced at $89.97 !

Another, a 12" x 12" square 'Coffee' sign on pine wood, it was crackled but not with the coloring or extra antiquing along the edges like yours and no extra medallion or other decoration and the little price tag: $79.00 !

My apologies because I've only read your first post but if you haven't already decided to sell these, I think you should really think about it.

It's a beautiful, original piece that can be passed down proudly!