Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rufinorox

Bathroom paint ... Hate it!

rufinorox
12 years ago

I knew when it was time to choose a paint color I was going to have a tough time. My husband wanted dark and I thought going lighter would be better. So I went a shade lighter than what we agreed on, now I hate it. Its a nice color, but it doesn't go with the wall tile. My DH won't paint it again, since he's been working on this demo for 2 weekends straight. He asked me to wait until I have the BR decorated and shower curtain hung. BUT I feel a knot in my stomach over it. I know its just paint, but everything has been looking so good and to be disappointed by this paint color is frustrating.

So when I convince him to re paint what color do you suggest I go with? I wish I had someone with photshop to see what it could look like.

Here are pictures with BM Shabby Chic

http://s919.photobucket.com/albums/ad40/rufinorox/Bathroom/?action=view&current=shabbychic.jpg&mediafilter=noflash

http://s919.photobucket.com/albums/ad40/rufinorox/Bathroom/?action=view&current=shabbychic2.jpg&mediafilter=noflash

Comments (50)

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

LOL! I love this message, he is saying no way and you are already planning for the next color. Sounds like at our house!!! Hee hee, made me giggle. We have already painted the bathroom two times and I'm still not sure about it.

Maybe you could glaze over it and change it a little that way or faux it? I've saved a repaint by doing that but not sure it's as popular as it once was.

• EG3d
    12 years ago

I painted an accent wall 8 times until I got the right color. Don't waste time glazing. Just get the right color.

• Tmnca
    12 years ago

It looks too taupe beside the tile, though not bad enough to make me think I would feel sick to look at it! It's not a very large area it may not be noticeable at all once everything else is in place.

• dawnp
    12 years ago

Here are your pictures:

• rufinorox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gr8day - I think he knows I'm hating it he may give in at some point, but I really need to know what color first. Faux is not my style - but thanks for the suggestiion. Tinan - I may not be so sick over it - I was just surprised once it went on the wall. It didn't look so taupe as you mention on the color chart.

Dawn - thanks I can't figure out how to post picture when I'm on my iPad.

• sloyder
    12 years ago

maybe a rich chocolate color, to go with the small tiles, or a couple shades darker taupe color like the lighter brown tiles.

• SharonaZamboni
    12 years ago

I agree that the color isn't right. Save the aggravation and repaint!

• lisa0527
    12 years ago

I think your problem is that you've paired a pinkish beige with a yellow-gold. We had a similar problem and went with BM Philadelphia Cream. Take a look at Maria Killim's post on matching beiges. She suggests Monroe Bisque with gold/yellow tile.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maria Killam Beige

• compumom
    12 years ago

Geez do I feel your pain. I bought sample pint after pint to find the "right" tan for the walls in both bathrooms. Although they have the same field tile, the light is very different as are the stones we used for the countertop.

Our upstairs bathroom has a bit more of a reddish cast. I don't recall what that color is, but it took quite awhile to get it right. FWIW, I was unsuccessful in using BM colors for any room, although I think they have pleasing colors. However I had good success at Glidden Professional stores.
    My advice is to shop for more samples and repaint, even if you have to pay someone to do it. I know it would eat at me too.
    Make sure to tell your DH we all admire his tile work! 8-D

• rufinorox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your feedback. I think the room needs a lighter color, however I was invisioning darker all the time. Of course when I had to make my decision I was swayed by many other opinions to go lighter.

I know the color isn't right, unfortunatley my DH will not re paint at least not right now. I'm going to wait until all the other fixtures and accessories are up. I'll deal with it for now, until I can get a consultant to tell me what color will work.

• User
    12 years ago

I suggested creme in your original thread and still think that would be the best color with the stone you have. It will offer a nice complimentary contrast but won't over power the room. It's a beautiful stone, so let it be the star in the room.

• busybee3
    12 years ago

the 'wrong' paint color would drive me crazy!

it is SO much easier/faster to paint with everything down!!! do you think you could tackle this project and change the wall color yourself?? it looks like it's a pretty small room! i know i learned long ago that sometimes if i want things done my way, it's best to do them myself---and it's amazing what i can do!! and it's liberating!

• rufinorox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lukkiirish- your so right. Unfortunately, I was torn with going lighter and darker because my husband insisted on darker. So I went in the middle really not thinking it thru. It had to be the hardest decision I made in this Reno.

Busybee- wish it were that easy. He would be beside himself if I attempted to paint. He's a painter and takes pride in his hard work., which is why I find it difficult right now to change the color. Even though it would be easier with bare walls.

Thanks! I will keep you posted.

• andreadeg
    12 years ago

I just wanted to mention that I feel your pain! Time to look on the bright side; your bathroom is coming along nicely! Not to worry, you'll get there eventually on the paint color. Meanwhile, enjoy the progress and spend time envisioning the color you do want on the walls. He'll help you paint it; he just needs a little time.

I think cream would be very pretty too; but then alot of colors could work with what you have there.

Very pretty bathroom!

• alexisls
    12 years ago

I agree that it's the wrong color, but I don't think it's a question of darker or lighter, but rather the wrong shade. The tiles have yellow-gold undertones and the paint looks like it has pink-red undertones.

I think if you switch to a different family of browns, it will be better no matter whether you go dark or light.

And I agree with the poster above who said it's a lot easier to paint without all the fixtures on the walls. I've been in your shoes, with a whole room painted in a color (that I chose) that made me want to cry. If you can do it yourself, I think it's worth it in the long run to just fix it now.

• shanghaimom
    12 years ago

I responded on bathrooms forum (-:

• cal_dreamer
    12 years ago

Like others have said above... Whether you go light or dark, make sure you have yellow/gold undertones because it is the red/pink undertone in the paint that you chose that is clashing with the tile. That's why it just looks "wrong".

It's a gorgeous room and I just love the tile!

• rufinorox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Zoecat/caldreamer- thanks I wish I had posted on this forum before I made my decision. I download the BM color capture on my phone and now I understand the different in undertones.

I'm hoping to get this fixed sooner than later. And thank you for the bathroom comments I'm happy with everything else!

• ellendi
    12 years ago

How about going to a place that color matches. bring your tile, see what colors come up and either go lighter or darker.

• chardie
    12 years ago

I agree with the post about beige undertones. I think Maria Killam knows what she's talking about with her beiges. Also, just re-paint it yourself. It'll be so much more torturous when everything's up in there. Trust me, I just spent many hours repainting my kitchen and it was torture. I should have insisted the contractor wait for me to re-paint before everything was installed.

• sloyder
    12 years ago

Most of the larger BM stores have a color consultant come in a couple days a week. Just bring your pictures, or tile.

• cal_dreamer
    12 years ago

Halfway down this website is a brown chart that can be very helpful in certain situations - like when you are trying to figure out why different neutrals don't coordinate.

I've used this simple chart many times to explain undertones in a simple way.

Here is a link that might be useful: Decorating with Browns

• jane__ny
    12 years ago

We used that color in our office and it has pink undertones. Certain walls, during different times of the day look pinkish. I did not like the color either. We are still living with it. It worked with out dark furniture, but I didn't like the pinkish tones.

{{gwi:100893}}

• rufinorox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jane- The color looks really nice in this room. I dont see any pink undertones.

I think I may be living with this color for a bit.

• deegw
    12 years ago

If your husband won't let you paint it yourself, you could try a light bulb change. I don't know the color science behind it but I think the GE Reveal bulbs will diminish the yellow undertones in your tile.

• rufinorox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's not that he won't. I think I need to make sure I get the right color via consultant before I have him change it. We haven't installed our vanity lights yets, onve it is I will see how the GE bulbs make it look.

Thanks!

• User
    12 years ago

Been there
    Done that
    Repainted ....

More times than I would admit!

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

Here are some colors that will work.

Here is a link that might be useful: SW colors that work with your tile

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

Poo, the link is not working on my end. Look at the Sherwin Williams chit that has Interactive Cream 6113 and other nice shades on it. There are some nice darker and lighter shades on the same chit as well.

Sherwin Williams SW6113 Interactive Cream at MyPerfectColor

Here is a link that might be useful:

• rufinorox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok it's happening! My DH called me today and said pick a color. Now under pressure I need suggestions again before I lose it. �What light cream colors would you choose with this tile.

• andreadeg
    12 years ago

No need to rush in to choosing a paint color. Deep breath. You'll need to sample colors, preferably on the wall, or if not, then on foam core boards and put them up in the room. Evaluate the colors under different lighting conditions and times of day. Take your time.

As for specific suggestions, if you want to go cream, how aobut EK's Classic Cream. Or, find a shade that matches your paint on a paint strip and then go up to colors so it's a beigey white color?

I knew your husband would come around...he just needed some time...painting a room is alot of work. :-)

• deborah_ps
    12 years ago

I too have this stone tile in my bathroom and fortunately picked an uber light creamy yellow. Very soft and unobtrusive.

• rufinorox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks andrea! I had a feeling he would, but it's when he's good and ready. I did not want to rush so I brought home a sample and to my surprise he doesn't like the cream color. He wants to stay with a Warner beige or darker. I'll have to take my time with this.

Deborah - pictures would be a big help. It would help him visualize what it could look like.

Thanks!

• andreadeg
    12 years ago

Can you post some more pictures of your bathroom from different angles? Cream could work but maybe a darker color would play off the travertine a little better? It would be great to see more pictures.

Decorating is such a personal thing; it's amazing any two people can navigate such a project and stay married!

• rufinorox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I will post other pictures later today. I agree with you Andrea ... Heh we did survive a 12 weekend kitchen renovation in the dead of winter. It can only make one stronger and patience - And it's all me!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 years ago

More pictures would definitely help.

• rufinorox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

here are more images. The door and frame will both be painted white.

• rufinorox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jterrilyn- how did you come up with SW 6113?

• User
    12 years ago

I would go to the paint store and get the swatches so you can tape them up and see what works and what doesn't. Then buy the jars or small sample cans and test it. Then choose.

We used Behr Raffia Cream in our living room, kitchen and halls and I LOVE this color. It doesn't have a strong undertone and seems to work with everything I match it with.

• scanmike
    12 years ago

Have to agree...re-paint it. I have been there also and although it's a pain, you won't be happy until it's done. You need a more yellowy beige or a color that will match the darker shading in your tile. Putnam Ivory by BM comes to mind, or perhaps Shelburne buff, Powell Buff. The best thing to do is take a tile to the store and match it.

• rufinorox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lukkiirish - do you have images? I looked at this color but didn't get a sample - yet.

Scan mike - I like Putnam ivory. Not sure bout the others - they look more gold.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 years ago

I would pull the following chips for you to consider:

SW Nomadic Desert
    SW Latte
    BenM Sierra Hills
    BenM Sherwood Tan
    BenM Stonehouse
    BenM Brunswick Beige

• rufinorox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you! I will carefully look these over and hope to make a decision before the weekend. I forgot to mention - this may or may not change you color suggestions, but there will be an additional 3 light over the vanity that will give more lighting but can be turned off separetly.

• aa62579
    12 years ago

I posted in the bath forum. Did you ever look at BM Shaker Beige. I think our tiles have similar tones in them. This was still during construction and some of the tiles were still pretty dusty, but I like this picture because it shows the white trim and tub and you can see the shade change of the wall where the light from the window is shining in. We used this color in the entire house and the way it looks changes depending on what camera I was using and the lighting, so it would need to be something you sampled.

If you look at the swatches from the BM site, you can see how it is less pink than Shabby Chic. This is Shabby Chic on the left and Shaker Beige on the right.

• sloyder
    12 years ago

go to a large BM store where they have the large paint sheet samples 12x12, and bring a tile sample.

• tfm1134
    12 years ago

take a look at SW Believable Buff.

• rufinorox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks to all! We chose another color and will be posting pictures over weekend.

• sherilynn
    10 years ago

I have the same dilemma. Please post pics of your completed bathroom.

• rufinorox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow didn't realize its been almost a year! Here is the new color. I've learned to live with it, but much better than the first!

• sherilynn
    10 years ago

Thank you. Congratulations.