Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madaboutkitchens_gw

Faux wainscotting

Has anyone seen or done white paint below a chair rail, and color above? My idea is to simulate the look of wainscot. Anyone have photos? Would this look weird?

Comments (24)

• arleneb
    15 years ago

My DDIL and DS did this in the dining room of their new house. They put deep blue on the upper part and white below the chair rail. The "wainscot" area has rectangles of trim, which make it look more like real wainscot. It was an economical way to get a nice look. Sorry, I don't have pictures, but if you want, I could ask them to send one.

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

Check out the newer wainscoting wallpapers now available. Someone here used it and it came out great.

• oceanna
    15 years ago

I have plain white wall on the lower part of my dining room right now and it's not so great. I will be putting the picture moulding type of faux there, I think. I used the faux beadboard wallpaper in my entry staircase painted white, and pale brown/beige above it and I really like that. Plain white wall looks pretty boring IMO. If you google faux wainscoting and select Images you'll see lots of pics.

• mclarke
    15 years ago

Yup, we did it. We added rectangles of picture moulding to the wall as well, to enhance the look. Painted it gloss white, which enhances the deception:

• alisande
    15 years ago

MClarke, I love the way you did that. And the wall color--what is it? And the artwork, too. Is that a quilt?

• trielders
    15 years ago

Sorry if we are hijacking the post - but MClarke is your chandy from Lowe's? I am looking for one like yours.

• jjam
    15 years ago

We did this too, and love it.

{{!gwi}}

• dainaadele
    15 years ago

Same trick, but mission style. Just cheap 1x3 trim, painted over in while. I used a brush on the second coat, to get a little of a verticle line going, it helps fool you into thinking the drywall under the trim is wood.

• mclarke
    15 years ago

Thank you for your compliments!

The wall color is Sherwin Williams "Dapper Tan." It's not a perfect color, but it did solve my problems -- I wanted something that would complement the rug (which you can't see) and my grandmother's oak dining table (which you can't see either), and the cherry floor (ditto).

I wanted a greenish tan that would complement the oak, but not too green, because the kitchen is green. (You can see it from the doorway.)

Yup, that's an antique quilt on the wall. I found it in an antique shop years ago and framed it.

Yes, the chandy is from Lowes! What a good eye you have! The center glass originally had a decorative metal ring on it, which I removed because I disliked it.

The chandy is Portfolio 6-Light Brass & Gold Traditional Chandelier, Item #: 99512, Model: 34281

This is what it looked like before we removed the metal ring:

• jesemy
    15 years ago

I DIYed faux wainscoting in my stairwell and dining room.

Nancy

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

Has anybody got any pictures of wainscoting with stained trim? all I ever see is white. Or am I constrained to beadboard if I want a natural stained look?

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

Dainaadele, that looks so great! I've never seen faux wainscoting done in Mission style before. What a great idea and the results look so charming in the room.

• Robbi D.
    15 years ago

ajsmama,

We're in the process of putting up stained wainscoting (not faux). We're not finished (not all up), so it isn't stained, but the plans are to stain it. I can post a picture of it unfinished if you'd like.

• artlover13060
    15 years ago

Dainaadele, would you please share the height of your wainscotting and the ceiling height in that room? I want to do a similar look in a bathroom.

• oceangirlme
    15 years ago

We just started adding wainscoting to our dining room last weekend. We have some unusual sized spacing. Please excuse the lack of decorations and the unfinished china cabinet and kitchen. We are a work in progress.

• timber.j
    15 years ago

We did this in a bathroom, because I wanted a bright color, but not on the whole wall so it wouldn't get too overpowering.
    Here's what it looked like before:

And here is what we did (still missing the mirror, cut smaller and trimmed to match):

• amck2
    15 years ago

DD & SIL did a simple version, with just the top board, in their nursery. Bottom is painted white and top is a spring green. It came out really well. Allowed them to use a cheery color in a small room without it being "too much."

• dainaadele
    15 years ago

Dilly dally: The height in the bedroom is right about 6' If you are looking at the proportions, the ceiling height is 9'.

I also carried the same theme in the 2 bathrooms that we had to redo. So here are variations on the theme for people interested. The ones with wood are plywood cut at 4' and glued to the wall.

This one has a black painted "shelf" along the top:

This one is staining the raised parts in a dark walnut. (It is not quite finished yet. It will be kind of over the top when the dark mission wallpaper is put up, and the window will be painted white with a white painted trim also placed along the top of the wainscott.)

• madaboutkitchens_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow- thanks, everyone, for all the inspirational photos! Right now, our rooms will be just the white drywall on the bottom and the picture frame moldings may be a later project. I love every version shown above!!

• november
    15 years ago

timber.j - what is the yellow/orange color in your bathroom? I adore it!

• timber.j
    15 years ago

Thanks!
    It is Sherwin Williams Summer Day. The bottom is Dover White.

• gldnfan
    15 years ago

I personally think that "faux" wainscotting is one of the most successful budget projects - it simply doesn't look faux at all when done as well as so many of the examples here. Plus it allows flexibility down the line for changing styles.
    Beautiful job everyone!

• lilbit77
    15 years ago

anyone have any pictures where the top and bottom wall is one color and the inside of the picture frame. th eonly thing white is the chair rail and the picture frames trims? im thinking bout doing it this way in my new bdrm-the walls will be pineneedle green from lowes

• calispec
    14 years ago

Can someone that has done this please explain the process you went through when determining the size and layout of boxes on the wall?

My initial questions are:

1)Do you simply pick a number that will work evenly on the wall and go with that? If so, how do you deal with doors or windows that impede on normal sized panels?

If you are carrying a pattern up to a window, and the window does not allow for a full sized box, do you use a narrower box on both sides of the window and then return to normal, or do you simply try to use a pattern that would allow for continuous standard sized boxes unhindered by the window.

2) Do you use the same pattern on every wall in a room? If you use a pattern to get standard sized boxes around the room, how do you deal with the differing wall lengths in the room and varying placements of doors and windows.

Any full wall pictures with doors and windows would be very helpful.