Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How can you fake a 22' long curtain rod?

Posted by wishiwasinoz (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 21:42

I want to have 3 sets of sheers for the French doors in the family room. I need a little over 22' of rods & I want it to appear like it's one rod with supports at every door. Where can I find beefier, wider supports that could safely hold 2 rods?

Attached is a pic of the room & also a drawing to explain my idea.

Also, where should I buy the sheers? I want nice, high quality sheers that can be washed in the machine at home.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How can you fake a 22' long curtain rod?

Here is my idea:

o

Country Curtains has beautiful sheers.

o

Buy 3 rods. Where the finial normally would screw in you get a piece at the hardware store that allows you to screw 2 rods together. It will look exactly like your picture. I have used rods from pottery barn and bed bath and beyond to do that.

o

Wood dowels, what's used in closets for hanging clothes. I'm nor sure but think HD has them in 10'-12' lengths. Circumferences vary, but again, not quite sure but could be up to 3". Can be painted, stained, gilded, whatever. Has to be substantially less expensive than 22' of any type of drapery rod.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wood dowels

o

electrical conduit & appropriately sized connectors. Paint any color you want.

o

I once used PVC pipe then painted it gold and used a support in the middle, they also make brackets that you can't see, sort of like an elbow bracket that the rod sits on and screws in underneath the rod and to the wall. PVC comes in different sizes, I don't remember now but I think this was 3 in. diameter pipe. Home Depot. It was light weight and you can get it in any length. I glued on the finials. You can use a ball or something on the end something lightweight and either paint it or wood faux finish them. Sorry for the poor quality picture.

Photo of PVC rod (from several years ago in another house, contemporary lace swags on painted PVC rod).
 photo 1327359463.jpg

o

We made ours out of PVC & spray painted with ORB paint and made the end,and middle supports too. We used a decorative wood piece (painted that the ORB too). They looked wonderful and were a fraction of the cost.

o

I was just at my local JC Penney the other day and saw lots of drapery panels in various heights that I would consider using in an installation. They also had lots of reasonably priced rods from Umbra & Studio that might work for your installation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here