Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutmegxo_gw

My pallidian blue room + bird toile wallpaper - PICS

nutmegxo
12 years ago

I promised I would post pics as I made some progress in my master bedroom. Thanks so much to all of you who helped me sort through the decision making process with this room - I was ALL OVER THE PLACE with what I wanted. Originally started painting the room a sage green color that looked awful (in my opinion), and then I was trying to start all over from scratch - ended up choosing BM Palladian Blue for the walls which I absolutely am in love with. Then, I opted for wallpapering the wall behind the bed in a paper that perfectly matches palladian blue, but has toile pattern in gold on it. We finally finished papering today.

Room is NOT done yet...I still need to get curtains and order bedding (which is going to be a combo of champagne & ginger solid colors). But here it is so far (forgive the bad lighting...sun was starting to go down when I took these pics tonight)

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

And lamps that we spray painted antique brass so that they match the wallpaper...thanks to les917 for that suggestion!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

And I am totally stressing because we lost an hour of time today because of darn daylight savings!!!! I want that hour back!!! :)

Comments (39)

• porkandham
    12 years ago

It looks great! I love the wallpaper!

• polly929
    12 years ago

Such a beautiful room. I love the bird toile wallpaper.

Can't wait to see your choice for bedding. My bedroom is Wedgewood Grey with similar furniture. I can't seem to find the right bedding colors to go with them. Currently just using a down comforter and a coverlet that I hate.

• kswl2
    12 years ago

Love that wallpaper and the lamps look great!

• sis2two
    12 years ago

Your wall color and wallpaper look so good! It really makes me want to do the wallpaper behind my headboard. I really like the paper you settled on!

• redbazel
    12 years ago

This is a beautiful look and a nice blend of toile with the paint shade. I'm so glad you fretted and posted till you came up with the combo that really works for your pretty room!!

Red

• lascatx
    12 years ago

I want the hour back too, but the room is looking good. Enjoy!

• lazydaisynot
    12 years ago

What a pretty room you've put together!

• Olychick
    12 years ago

I kind of got all gooey (sort of soft and melty) when I looked at your room because it is soooo relaxing and beautiful. I love what you've done.

• treasuretheday
    12 years ago

What a sweetly romantic room! It's coming together beautifully.

• yayagal
    12 years ago

Wow, it's halfway to being perfection. Looks wonderful.

• dakota01
    12 years ago

Very pretty - love how you matched the finish of the lamps to the paper. Since I'm more of a blingy girl, I would find another place to use the paper or if the paper has a matching fabric I would try to use as window valance, bedskirt, deocrative blue pillow w/inset of the paper/fabric. If they don't have matching fabric, I would try to put a cutout of the paper under glass on your side tables.
    But, I do love your room - very serene looking.

• graywings123
    12 years ago

Love it, love it, love it!

You can tell who sleeps on which side of the bed based on what's on the nightstand - LOL!

• tfm1134
    12 years ago

I love it!! Just beautiful!

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

That worked perfectly. You must be so happy.
    Renee

• andreadeg
    12 years ago

So very beautiful!

• syllabus
    12 years ago

Love the paint color and the wallpaper as a focal wall.
    It's refreshing to see someone using a beautiful paper!

I'd love to know what brand and color of paint you used to change your wall lamps. I've sprayed one of my own - but the gold is too gold and yours looks more like what I was aiming for. Love the lamps, too! Are they still available - or have you had them for ages like I've had mine?

• chickadee2_gw
    12 years ago

That's so pretty!!! I think wallpaper really warms up a bedroom and makes it nice and cozy. I'd have trouble stopping myself from doing the whole room. Do you mind if I ask the name of that wallpaper?

• ttodd
    12 years ago

It looks really, really wonderful!

• denali2007
    12 years ago

I swore up and down I would never again put wallpaper in my house. However, your room makes me want to use that wall paper in my Palladian Blue room!! It's stunning.

• cindyloo123
    12 years ago

That blue really is stunning and the room is well on it's way to perfection!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Ditto Denali! I love the wallpaper with the Palladian Blue. Now, will DH go for it?

Sweet dreams!

• nutmegxo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you SO much for all your nice compliments, makes me feel really good because I tend to second guess what I do!! My goal was to create a space that was serence, calming, pretty and romantic (without being over-the-top feminine), so your comments are leading me to believe that I am on the right track. The next thing on the TO DO list is to figure out curtains..I originally intended on doing ivory/champagne color panels but I am unsure if this is the right choice. I am trying to figure out if I should be going with brownish panels. Kind of tricky, because all the curtains I like are in ivory. I might be making a new post on that later this week... :)

jeannie01 - I was thinking about maybe using a small scrap of leftover paper and putting it in a frame on the wall in a different area of the room, or perhaps doing something like that in our master bathroom (which is a disaster area at the moment but hopefully will be doing that room in the fall).

graywings - LOL!!!!!!

syllabus - the lamps were from Pottery Barn - bought approx. 7 years ago or so. At the time, PB was showing lots of wall-mounted swing arms lamps. They appealed to me because they free up surface space on the nightstand. The lamps were pewter (silver tones) and the shades are silk. We used Rust-Oleum metallic spray paint and the color is called Antique Brass. We used 2 coats of spray. Not sure how well they will hold up, as we do use these lamps all the time when sitting in bed.

chickadee2 - I did originally plan on doing another wall i this room with the paper, but once it was up, I thought it best to just leave it on the wall behind the bed. The paper is by Sandpiper Studios from the Richmond Heights book, and the pattern is called "Virginia Toile" in the Bay Blue color. The pattern does come in a few other colors.

denali - SO funny you say that because when we moved into this house we promised we would not be doing wallpaper at all. (We had done some papering in our last house and it really can be a pain in the neck putting up and taking down when it is time for a change). BUT, once I started painting this room in this gorgeous palladian blue color, I could not help but think that accenting with paper would be a good idea. So I casually went to the store to browse through some wallpaper books just to see if anything sparked my interest. It was so amazing that I found this paper that not only matches the paint color EXACTLY, but also has a toile pattern that I was so desiring. I just could not resist the temptation. I think papering here and there in a house with accent walls adds interest and texture....so go for it!!! LOL

• loribee
    12 years ago

LOVE it...the paint and the paper are stunning~
    and Les, great idea to spray the lamps.
    Can't wait to see the rest of the room, Meg!!

• syllabus
    12 years ago

Thank you for the lamp info! I'll pick up a can of RAB today and redo the swing arm that came out too gold. There are lots of swing arms out there (love the pricey PB ones!) - but there are so few that are in antique gold. When oh when will the powers that rule the retail world realize that there is more than nickel, orb, and (still!) shiney fake brass?!

You haven't asked... but my vote is to go w/ creamy ivory curtains if you want to keep a lighter feel to the space - they will balance the lovely wood pieces. Darker curtains would add a more masculine feel - which would also be nice - but the ivory would be more unexpected. Or you could do ivory sheers w/ darker pannels on the sides and cover both bases!

• cat_ky
    12 years ago

Your room looks great. Many thanks for the idea of spray painting that lamp on the wall. I have one that is brass now, that needs to be brushed nickle. I have been looking for another one similar to it, in the brushed nickle finish. Because it is a swing lamp, never even thought about spray painting it. Going to take it down and do that next week. :-)

• dakota01
    12 years ago

If you go ivory - you could always put some bronze/goldish fringe on them. Or a ribbon of different fabric on the bottom...lots of choices with yoru color scheme.

• nutmegxo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

syllabus & jeannie01 - Thanks so much for giving input on curtain color. I just took some more pics tonight from different angles with fabric swatches in an attempt to figure out what to do about curtains/bedding color choices. I think I am going to start a new thread on that tomorrow once I sort out all my pics. I truly do want to go with creamy/ivory but I have the suspicion that I might need to use a tan or similar color to balance the color in the paper.

So funny that so many of you mention the lamp problem! Maybe we should all just swap our existing lamps so that we all can have the color we need!!

Thanks again to everyone who took the time out to say such nice things about my room!!

• les917
    12 years ago

I was looking at JCP, and saw these drapes. I think the ivory is pretty, but if the seaside blue would work, that would be nice.

However, what I am thinking is the scalloped valance (scroll down) ideally in the seaside blue, hung higher above the window, but of course enough to cover the top few inches of trim and blinds. Then soft cream sheers underneath.

mystique floral

This one is a little frou-frou, but in the seaside blue plaid, I think the double waterfall valance, again over sheers, would be pretty, and bring another pattern into the room.

double waterfall valance

• neetsiepie
    12 years ago

The paint color and paper are perfect for the traditional style furnishings of your room. It's lovely! Can't wait to see the WT you choose.

• cathrugg
    12 years ago

Your room is absolutely gorgeous!

• nutmegxo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

les917 - wow you are so helpful! I like that mystique floral link you posted! This is making me realize that I have lots of options out there, just need to play with some ideas. It is interesting that you are suggesting using the seaside blue colors on the blue walls of my room...I had never thought of that.

My original "vision" was to have curtains like these in the room (in creamy ivory colors; not white like in the pics)... but once I made the decision to put this wallpaper up, I fear that I am now forced to steer away from creamy ivory. I also had it in my head that I was not going to use valances. I wanted to hang panels several inches above the windows and let them loosely fall on either side of the window:
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

The other issue which I am mulling over in my head, is the bedding. I have been considering new bedding and I need to coordinate with that as well. I need to get my pics sorted!!! lol

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Wow! It looks awesome!

• tinker_2006
    12 years ago

I love the color, love the wallpaper and really love the lamps! Nice job!

• Christie Santercangelo
    12 years ago

Beautiful room, I remember seeing your earlier post when you were chosing wallpaper. I couldn't wait to see the finished product. It looks fantastic!

• pollyannacorona
    12 years ago

Fabulous! Great choice, the most interesting, and you were smart to keep the background similar to the wall color, Im really in love with that blue.

• mommy2nk
    12 years ago

Oh, I am loving your room! It looks like it could be at a nice Bed & Breakfast.. The wallpaper matches so nicely. I have Palladian Blue in my craft/guestroom accented in orange. I love this color!
    Mommy2nk

• rafor
    12 years ago

I'm thinking the sheers are a little too flimsy looking with your awesome wallpaper and lovely palladian blue paint. Keep looking:)

• nutmegxo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone!

rafor - I found some patterned curtains at Country Curtains that I want to go take a look at, so I am not locking myself into sheers...hopefully I will find just the right thing.