Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
graceshan_gw

painting ceilings the same color as the walls

graceshan
12 years ago

We are building a new home and our house style is coastal craftsman. Our interior will be all white trimwork and cabinets. Our builder is asking for paint colors so I'm trying to get my head wrapped around color ideas. Upon researching I found cottage remodel that has the same general overall feel of our home and one of their painting techniques is painting the ceilings to match the walls thereby making the trim pop. They said they feared it might make the room feel smaller but actually had the opposite effect. See "Cottage" link below for pics. I think they look great and I'm considering doing it too. Any thoughts on the subject? To save money we are not putting crown in all rooms. Do you think this technique will still look good without crown? Love to hear any advice/ideas. Thanks so much.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cottage

Comments (7)

• rufinorox
    12 years ago

I think it would look great! However I would suggest the crown in the rooms that wil be occupied the most. Our LR has crown and I wish I had gone throughout the house.

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

I have specified walls and ceiling the same color in a couple of places and it works really well because the boundaries blur. I think it is effective without crown.

• birdgardner
    12 years ago

Yesterday I got up my nerve to try this in the kids' bath, or close to it - the ceiling is a robin's egg blue just a shade lighter than the walls - the first coat was several shades lighter but not as good as the darker one I went with. The light just keeps bouncing around and blurring the boundaries, lifting the ceiling. No crown. Small room, 5x9.

But I wouldn't dare do it in colors anywhere but a small space like that - in a main room I'd only use light neutrals like those pictured in the Cottage article - which look fantastic - especially because we're planning to sell - can just see buyers thinking, "A green ceiling. Really. I don't think so."

• graceshan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm so glad to see this reaction! Every time I mention it to people around here, I get a negative response or give me funny looks. But it makes sense. Yes, I was going to keep neutral type colors in the larger rooms and some pretty but still somewhat muted colors in the bedrooms/baths like blues/greys. The crown is in the living/kitchen/dining/entry/master only. So excited to pick out colors but it is sure overwhelming...

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

I have high ceilings and a non cottage so my situation may be a bit different. However, for new builds when you may not be exactly sure of the wall color you want but you do know the color direction it's very cost effective to have it all painted in the tint you want on your ceiling. If the painters are spraying and they do not have to stop and clean out the guns it's cheaper, if they do they will charge dearly. By having it all a tint in the color direction you want to go you can then take your time figuring out the wall's exact color and leisurely go about painting them over time if you feel the need. This way you do not have to worry about re-painting the ceiling which is literally a pain in the neck.

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

Just finished a whole house paint and we did the ceilings a slightly lighter shade of the walls in some of the rooms.

Examples:
    dining room walls - Dried Parsley
    white trim - Cotton Balls
    ceiling - Spring Bud ---all BM paints.

And the bathroom walls - Palladian Blue
    white trim - Cotton Balls
    ceiling - In your Eyes ---again all BM paints.

I have medium crown molding up "near" the ceiling (house is from 1910) that was all painted the white trim color and I love it.

Teresa

• busybee3
    12 years ago

we ate in a restaurant last night that is an old converted church... we sat in a small side dining room that had the upper part of the walls painted a deep red and the same deep red was on the ceiling---of course there were alot of adornments that made it all look fancy, but i thought the deep red ceiling really looked great!!
    i have painted lots of my ceilings a color, but usually paint the walls and ceiling the same color if they're a light to medium color, but realize that even deeper looks good too!
    i have painted bedroom and bathroom walls and ceilings the same color without crown in between and it looks nice!