Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Complementary colors for adjacent rooms - one red other gold

Posted by purplekrayon (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 27, 09 at 21:18

We are painting trying to find a complimentary color for our light cherry dining set, gold (bungalow gold lowes)kitchen/family and red (tibetan red lowes) lounge. We were originally thing a rich brown, but orange/browns blend into our dining furniture and tan browns look muted against the furniture. Now I am thinking an olive green or sage green. Husband thinks that it will not flow w/ gold and red. Any suggestions and/or rich greens that might work. Would love to post pics but not sure how.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Complementary colors for adjacent rooms - one red other gold

What about a teal or peacock?

o

Aubergine!

(Where is this color going anyway?)

o

the color would go in the foyer, living/dining room, up the stairwell and in the loft. (There is no real ceiling break any where.

o

The greens that lean more toward the yellow side of the spectrum should go very well with gold and red (provided the red doesn't have too many blue tones).. Since you're painting over such a large area, I'd be inclined to try a green in a muted tone so that you're not too limited in your choice of furniture, art and accessories. Of course, if you love bright wall colors everywhere, then you need to take that into consideration. My dining room is terra cotta red and another room is a soft green, but the remainder of the house is a cream color. I'm breaking out of that mold somewhat now by painting two of the living room walls on either side of the fireplace a soft brownish gray to highlight the fireplace and a large painting. But that's probably as colorful as my house is going to get. I wonder if a very soft and light gray that has a warm tint to it might not also look good with the red and gold, and would be an elegant color.

o

BM Olive Branch?????

o

This is just my closet, but the fixtures(?) are cherry...I used BM Louisburg Green. My dining room is red and the rest of my downstairs was a sage green...both rooms had a gold ceiling.

Photobucket

I picked up a card at SW last week that was a pretty strong gold/butterscotch that had complimentary colors listed on the back. The other two colors were antique dk. red and a rich chocolate brown...so I think if your dining furniture is light enough either an olive or brown could work. You're on the right track, at least in IMHO ;)

o

Do you know the name of the chocolate brown? My husband is leaning in that direction. I am leaning toward a brown with greenish undertones. How do I post pics?

o
Complementary colors for adjacent rooms - one gold/red pics

I figured it out. Here are pics

China with test paint and gold color of kitchen

china cabinet with gold and brown test paint

test paint next to hutch

china with test paint

Red room in back

Photobucket

the orange brown SW antiquarian brown matches the hutch
lighter brown Lowes hot chocolate looks too dull
as does the suaded leather as looked dull.

o

Disclaimer: In real life our colors are not this bright.

We've used gold, red and sage green (Olive Branch by BM) throughout our home and in this photo you can see all 3 colors from the breakfast area. Works for us.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

o

In our home we used SW Chamois in the DR, SW Red Bay in the office, SW REstrained gold in the foyer, hallways and other public areas and either SW Burlap or Harmonic Tan in the Kitchen/breakfast area. All of the rooms flow together pretty well.

o

monablair - I love those colors together and how you can see all three through the doorways. What a beautiful home.

o

purplekrayon-

Our LR (pic below) is BM Pine Grove, a deep brownish green, and the adjacent kitchen is F&B Sudbury Yellow with a large hutch painted in C2 Fez (rusty red). Both rooms are wide open to each other, and both have a lot of warm colored red accents (i.e. no blue reds).

Good luck-

sandyponder

Photobucket

o

purplekrayon...

i found the card from SW..it is 7521 Dormer Brown. If I remember correctly it was def a deep chocolate brown, much darker than the samples in your pic. Good Luck!!!

o

Although I do think the olive would go better with your dining room furniture!! Maybe try the BM Louisburg Green...here's another pic with my gold and red curtains, it's the color on the fireplace wall.

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here