Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicole___gw

2 CL chairs reupholstered. DONE! Pics

nicole__
14 years ago

These are the 2 CL chairs I acquired. The one was free, the other $5. The plaid fabric was enough for one, but to stretch it to cover two a poster here suggested I use the black diamond with cream dots fabric. I did! They were easy enough to do, but I am a little clumsy and had a cold....which slowed me down considerably. :0) The cost for both chairs $30! (The plaid fabric was $1yd, dotted fabric $7)

Comments (42)

• caroline94535
    14 years ago

Wow!!!

They're beautiful.

• leafy02
    14 years ago

Wow, what a great job. How terrific to be able to bring life back to good old furniture. They look lovely.

• kjmama
    14 years ago

whoo, what an accomplishment!

• dannie
    14 years ago

You did an awesome job! I wouldn't know where to begin...

• Sujafr
    14 years ago

I am so impressed and especially like the dotted fabric. Great work!

• IdaClaire
    14 years ago

They're wonderful! You totally breathed new life into them -- great job!

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

WOW! You did an awesome job!

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

Boy, I sure do wish I knew how to re-upholster a chair! These look really amazing nicole....really really great. Love the two fabric look! You can barely tell they are not a pair.

• tkme4ard
    14 years ago

those turned out awesome! I So wish I knew how to do that!

• neetsiepie
    14 years ago

Not only is it impressive, you did a FABOO job of matching up those plaids! That alone is a great accomplishment. My hat is off to you.

• les917
    14 years ago

You did a fabulous job! What talent!

I see that you chose not to paint the wood. It is very nice with the plaid, so either way the chairs are working well!

Interesting that you chose the plaid for the inside, and the black dot for the outside. I think when I suggested the dot fabric, I suggested just the opposite application with the black on the inside areas of the chair, and the plaid on the outside and then piped in the plaid and done a lumbar pillow in the plaid. But your way clearly works!

Thanks for sharing the transformation with us!

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

They turned out great. NICE JOB!!!

• folkvictorian
    14 years ago

Awesome work! They're gorgeous!

• busybee3
    14 years ago

they look really great!!! had you reupolstered before, or was this your 1st try? i have 2 wing chairs(in good shape that i would only have to change the fabric)which i am tempted to try...have gotten as far as taking some diy books out from the library!

• nicole__
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Everyone.....THANK YOU for all your kind words!

Pesky1....my first plaid job. So I wanted to try matching the channel backs to the seat cushions, it looked like a challenge and I fell in LOVE with the plaid. DH hates florals! :0) I thought a brown aligator suede fabric was nice, but it cost $30yd!!!!! Those chairs aren't worth $200 to me. :0)

Les917.....I really like the black diamond/dotted fabric. I really appreciate your finding it and coordinating it with the plaid for me!!!! Your help was invaluable!

busybee3.....This was my second attempt at a job where I took the piece down to the springs. Slipcovers are a whole lot less trouble and mess! :0)

• sweeby
    14 years ago

Fabulous! I just love seeing inexpensive CL acquisitions turned into fabulous custom pieces!

• User
    14 years ago

They look really nice! Great price on the fabrics too!

I need to try this sometime.

• cliff_and_joann
    14 years ago

Wonderful, you did a great job on the chairs.
    Joann

• nicole__
    Original Author
    14 years ago

sweeby, sheesharee, cliff_and_joann.....Thank you!

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

Late again, but wanted to say you did a first rate job!

• andreadeg
    14 years ago

Wow...terrific job with these chairs!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

You are so clever and talented! Oh how I wish I could do something like that!!! Your chairs look fantastic. Well done.

• ruthy1
    14 years ago

Wow! I'm so impressed. Those chairs look really great. You are very talented!

• nanny2a
    14 years ago

Terrific job, nicole! Now that you've mastered this, you'll find yourself wanting to reupholster everything you see.......! Your pattern matching with the plaid is top rate! I'm getting ready to do our living room chairs and a matching ottoman, once I find the right replacement fabric.

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

I love your "new" chairs! Who would even know they weren't if you didn't tell them?? You did a fantastic job, and the two fabric idea rocks!! Now reach over and give yourself a big pat on the back. ;o)

• Valerie Noronha
    14 years ago

You did an amazing job on those chairs--not to mention the amazing price you paid for the chairs and fabrics! I love that you decided to add a seat cushion to the second chair. They look closer to a matched pair now.

Thanks for posting the before and after pics.

I want to try that myself one day.

• nicole__
    Original Author
    14 years ago

cooperbailey, andreadeg, cyn427, ruthy1, nanny2a, patty_cakes, Valinsv....WOW! Thanks everyone!

I was afraid ya all would think I should have left those nasty chairs for someone to haul home for garage furniture! :0) Not upholster them......lol

valinsv....those chair cushions are reversable, with zippered backs "and" I used white sheeting under them....that was a LOT of trouble! :0)

Nanny2a.....I saw 2 free antique wingbacks free on CL today....had to resist going & getting them. I'm out of room! :0)

• tuesday_2008
    14 years ago

Wow! Knock me over with a feather! Upholstery looks so complicatd, and some of you gals make it look easy.

Tuesday

• loribee
    14 years ago

I can't even imagine being able to do this, good for you!
    Would love to see them in the room with everything else...

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

Nice job, very impressive!

• jan_in_wisconsin
    14 years ago

Great job! They're like new now!

• Arapaho-Rd
    14 years ago

Amazing job! Your attention to detail in matching the pattern is impressive. Better workmanship than what I paid a lot of $$$ to a professional for!

• nicole__
    Original Author
    14 years ago

loribee, jan_in_wisconsin, arapaho..... THANK YOU!

loribee, here's a pic of the whole room where the chairs are gonna live. :0) We plan on doing a fireplace remodel, stacked stone to the ceiling 22', lower the fireplace to the floor, take out the lower mantle, wire a spot above the fp for a flat screen tv. So this is what it looks like "now". I used to have floor pillows where the chairs are, so for me it's an improvement! I needed a conversatonal grouping. :0) The brown leather couch is also new. I used to have this room full of white leather & it just disappeared with the white walls & sunlight. :0)
    {{!gwi}}

• sherwoodva
    14 years ago

Nicole, I am late, but had to agree with the others. You did a great job, especially matching up the plaids. That would have given me a headache :) I have done tailored bedspreads, seat cushions and pillows, but never a whole chair. You are awesome.

The room looks lovely as well.

• nicole__
    Original Author
    14 years ago

colorcrazy...That is so nice! thx

Here is another version of a similiar chair. Just goes to show there are endless possibilities for how this could have turned out. :0) Interesting....

• shay13
    13 years ago

What a beautiful job! How does one go about learning how to reupholster? I thought at one time my local technical college taught upholstery classes, but when I checked recently they did not.
    Nicole, did you take classes or are you just a naturally talented seamstress?

• nicole__
    Original Author
    13 years ago

shay13....Thank you! I've been enjoying the finished product. But...yes....just get a chair, tear it down and you'll see what's inside and what then needs to go back into the chair. Now you know it ALL! I used a home machine for the piping and quilting, other than that...staples or little tack nails. If you can sew a straight line...your good enough to do an upholstery job. I'm flattered you like what I did!!!!

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

Really nice Nicole. I so admire people that can do things like that.

• shay13
    13 years ago

Gosh Nicole- you make it sound so easy!! I can sew, I've made a bed skirt and shams, turned out pretty good if I do say so myself. It was fun too, I haven't sewn anything in over twenty years! I think I may just have to give this a try on a chair I wanted reupholstered. I'll need to learn how to do the piping, never attempted that. What the heck, if it looks bad, I'll just pay to have it redone. Thanks for the encouragement and pictures of your finished project. Once again, your did a wonderful job.

• Laurie
    13 years ago

Nicole-

I am inspired by your fantastic upholstery job! Those chairs look great in your beautiful home.

I was hoping to try an upholstery project of my own, but that will have to be put on hold for a while. Dd #2 is newly engaged, so now I will be working on making my dress to wear for her wedding. I will keep your name in my "upholstery folder" so I can ask you specific questions when the time comes.

Congrats on a job well done....custom made and at a price that can't be beat!

-Laurie

• rebeccacupps
    13 years ago

Looks awesome! I have tried some upholstery work here and there, but it takes a lot of time. I recently redid some outdoor furniture with new cushions and spray paint. Bravo for your patience! I feel inspired :)

Rebecca

http://www.familyleisure.com/Casual-Patio-Furniture

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

What is it today with SPAM and HACKERS!? You'll only be reported, so leave us alone!