Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Color scheme with forest green vinyl flooring...

Sueb20
10 years ago

My kids' dentist has asked me to help him with an office facelift. An unfortunate condition is that the green vinyl flooring has to stay. This flooring is all through the treatment area, while the redemption area has a tannish carpet. The carpet can be replaced. The green floor stays. The other non-changeable color in the space is easy enough to work with -- the treatment chairs and cabinets are sort of a creamy white with some gray accents. Finally, there is some other cabinetry and doors (like closet doors) that are a dark mahogany color, and they are staying.

Here's another twist to the color scheme. They have recently created a new logo and the colors in the logo are orange, yellow, and gray. He'd like to somehow incorporate those colors into the office (yes, I know).

It's still very early in the process, but I'm really not having any great ideas for a color scheme. The walls will all be painted -- reception area and treatment areas. Not necessarily all the same color, but it is a fairly open concept space, so it could be. Maybe the same color throughout but a little lighter in the treatment rooms.

Given that floor, and the possible incorporation of yellow and orange in the space...what would be your inclination for wall color? He wants the space to feel warm and for the reception area in particular to feel "homey." Do you think a pale gray for a dental office is too cool?

Here's a not-great pic of the floor next to the carpet. The flooring is more green than it looks in this photo.

Comments (9)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

How about painting the walls using all three colors of the logo? For instance, paint the bottom 1/3 of the wall orange, then paint a wide gray stripe, maybe 8 inches wide, and then yellow on the top.

I think that would work well in a dentist's office, esp. one that caters to kids.

• edeevee
    10 years ago

I was just at the dentist today. They have a lovely deep, warm green on an accent wall in each of the treatment rooms. The other walls are lighter shades of citrus-y green. The effect is calming without feeling sedate. This picture isn't my dentist's office, and it doesn't have a green vinyl floor, but it has the same "feel". Notice the orange accents and light gray upholstery. I tried your floor in the room with my simple "paint" program. I think something like this could work.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's a great pic, thanks.

I should have clarified -- this is not a pediatric dentist office. He sees all ages. My kids just happen to go there while DH and I go elsewhere because we have complicated teeth!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Maybe a design seed will help

• andee_gw
    10 years ago

Is the floor a forest green or something else? I'm wondering if the carpet area would look better if it closely followed the linoleum rather than competed with it. I think the logo colors should be used as the accent colors. If the walls are green, they should be totally different from an institutional/hospital green. I don't like the idea of gray walls in the dentist office, but creamy white might work.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, the vinyl floor is a forest green, that's the best way I can think to describe it as my photos aren't great. It's that green that was popular in the '90s? Or late '80s? Paired with burgundy.

Those Design Seeds are helpful, thanks.

I think once I figure out the wall color(s), the rest of the color scheme will follow fairly easily. I agree with using the logo colors as subtle accents. We talked about maybe plants in pots that are the "theme colors", for example. There is a nice deep windowsill behind the reception desk where some plants would do well.

Another not-good pic of the floor. It is much more green than this.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Will there be window treatments?

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, but probably not to add color. Simple blinds that can control light without blocking it. TBD.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

I donâÂÂt think it necessary to decorate with the logo colors. It doesnâÂÂt have to match it just has to go. Logos are meant to catch your eye not blend.

Note I put a dark gray indoor-outdoor rug over some of the beige carpet.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 15:15