Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texasgal47

How did you preserve the view yet prevent interior fading?

texasgal47
10 years ago

My family room and diningroom have only morning sun, but this is Houston. I'm tired of closing window coverings in the a.m. to prevent fading to textiles and sun damage to wood furniture. My goal is to preserve the view, while stopping most of the fading. Currently have single pane windows but my energy bills are good because of trees and position of the house of the lot. Options I'm considering are:
1. New thermal pane windows.
2. Nanoceramic window film on current windows
3. Solar screens
4. Or some combination of the above

I would love to hear solutions you have tried and how well the fading problem was addressed. Please do not suggest shutters. Hopefully, your responses will clarify my thinking. I'm confused at this point. Thank you in advance for taking time out of your busy schedule to respond.

Comments (9)

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

I have thermal pane windows. They don't seem to help protect from sun damage. I have solar shades. I keep them closed during summer afternoons to help control the heat gain in the house, but they don't really allow me to see the view in a way that I like. I'll be watching this thread to see if someone has a good idea.

My intention is to use a sun-resistant fabric when I reupholster my pieces. The wood floors will continue to fade, I guess, as will my bedding. I think I've decided that enjoying the view is more important to me than protecting things from sun damage.

• chispa
    10 years ago

I added window film to the double paned windows in the rooms that get the most sun and I open/close my semi-sheer duette shades every day. Stuff will fade and you have to accept that or you need to black out your rooms completely or move into a cave!

They sell systems with timers and solar calculators that will open/close blinds automatically, but not something you see very often and would need to be done during construction.

Which reminds me, we've been here 3 years and I should rotate some of the rugs and furniture to try to at least even out some of the fading.

• bpath
    10 years ago

We had 3M film applied to two big windows: anti-UV on the east one, to protect the diining room furniture, and anti-UV/heat-blocking on the west side, no shade. Both worked great for the 9 years we lived there.

• romy718
    10 years ago

We are having 3M Prestige Film applied mid-March to 3 rooms to prevent fading of wood & fabric. Reviews are good.

• texasgal47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Again, thank all of you for responding, very helpful. Your postings tell me that thermal pane windows will not be enough, but if I add film, that will void the new window warranty of seal failure. The film I'm considering, Huper Optik, has a warranty that supposedly covers seal failure. I'm going to have to read the file print. Any thoughts, or info, regarding this aspect?
    Fun2BHere, my familyroom sofas need replacing, and I also am going to go with a Sunbrella indoor fabric to prevent fabric fading.
    bpathome and romy, do you have thermal pane windows with the film? Do you recall if your film is a nanoceramic? My research shows that is the film with the least tinting that is also the best at markedly reducing fading.

• Fori
    10 years ago

Would your home be compatible with exterior awnings or pergola-type structures?

• bpath
    10 years ago

My windows were 1962 single pane wood windows! Nothing thermal about 'me. And sorry, I don't know about it the nanoceramic. The film went on in 1998, did they have it then? Probably not.

Why would film void the thermal warranty?

• romy718
    10 years ago

3M also underwrites & covers your existing window warranty (for $500 per pane). For $.35 per square foot, you can buy additional coverage. $1500 per pane. My installer told mevthe additional coverageis necessary.Yes, they use nanoceramic technology.
    Mine is being installed March 18th, 3m Prestige 70, the clearest.

• cookingistherapy
    6 years ago

romy718 - did you go ahead with the install? What is your review of the product now that you have had the film for a while?