Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhbaskets_gw

Levolor Cellular Shades at Lowe's

nhbaskets
10 years ago

We were in Lowe's last weekend and noticed that Levolor cellular shades were 25% off through the end of the month. We're in the middle of building a new home, so window treatments have been on my mind. Saving 25% would certainly help.

I'm thinking about the top down/bottom up shades for several windows. Anyone have experience with these, or Levolor shades from Lowe's in general? In my current house I have Kirsch and Hunter Douglas, so didn't know how these would compare in quality.

Comments (7)

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Is that sale for the customer order or the custom size now shades? We are interested in the Levolor Custom Size Now shades that they cut you your exact size in the store. They are much lower than the custom ones but you can't get the UPBU.

• nhbaskets
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sale was on the custom order.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    10 years ago

Top Down Bottom Up (a/k/a TDBU) is great! I love having the light come in from the top half and having the privacy on the bottom. I have TDBU in my master bedroom and bathroom where privacy is important. Neighbors are not that close, but like the feeling of privacy anyhow.

If you don't need the privacy, it may or may not be worth the extra.

My TDBU is on Hunter Douglas roman shades and they are cordless also. TDBU will need two cords on each window -- one for up and one for down. That is a pain if you have a lot of windows. You can go cordless, but cordless means you need good access in front of the windows to reach top and bottom. I am in the process of this dilemma myself in my living/room sunroom space with 6 windows.

I assume cellular shades have both options (corded/cordless) available with TDBU. I got some TDBU woven woods in one room and they did not have a cordless option. Had to have 2 cords.

• nhbaskets
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the input!

Our new house will be in a 55+ development and the houses are rather close together. The TDBU shades I'm looking at are cordless. They have little clear handles in the center top and bottom to move up and down. I liked the Levolor shades because the thin cords controlling the shade was located near the sides rather than toward the middle. Not that they are that noticeable, but I notice everything.

In my dining room I have two windows that face the street plus a bump out with one regular sized window and two narrow windows that face a neighbor. I was thinking about just doing shades on the front windows. All five windows will have drapes. Would this look weird?

• done_again_2
    10 years ago

In our previous house we had some Levelor cordless cellular shades from Home Depot. We had the blackout type and they controlled light well. I didn't care for how they looked when closed on the front windows. It looked like this large mass of white from the street. I don't know if the non blackout would be as bad. They are not decorative and do nothing to dress up a window. When open they are not that noticeable at least.

One of cords inside broke about a year after install and Home Depot was great about getting it replaced for us.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    10 years ago

I too am at a 55+ complex. Just about everyone has cellulars on their windows (except me!). Lots of TDBU's too. They look ok from outside. I didn't think cells came with privacy linings? Doesn't that get in the way of the whole "cell" thing? Or, is the exterior cell layer just thicker? I don't know for sure, but I would think that privacy control would also be different if single, double or triple cell.

I have a non-blackout privacy liner on my roman shades (a linen fabric) and they are very private at night. There is a very feint shadow ONLY if you are right smack in front of them