Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chinchette

The bucks stopped here. Can you help with my dinette?

chinchette
15 years ago

The bucks stopped before the renovation was done. Guess that is familiar. So I have a fantastic updated kitchen with an old 80's farm table and dreaded chairs.

Do you think I can use this table and just get parsons chairs? What if I stain the base darker. How about if I just bring it back to maple? Should I just ditch it? Not much $$$ to play with.

Here are some pictures so you see what its going with. This is the dreaded old set- the table is actually very nice but wrong style.

Here it is without the chairs. How about something like this with stained bottom?

Comments (45)

• mjlb
    15 years ago

It looks like the base is painted now, so I'd paint the base a glossy black. Not sure if it's possible, but would be nice if you could strip the white paint from the tabletop skirt and make it match the maple top. Then you'd have one thick piece of maple that would look more contemporary.

The parsons chair is okay, but I think it'd be good to have a few more alternatives in that price range. Something about the wicker just doesn't seem quite right.

• Nancy Fryhover
    15 years ago

You might be able to trade that set for a more contemperary one or sell it on craigslist? Don't know if its worth all the painting etc...it may never have that modern look you are going for... but may be just what someone else is looking for!

• chinchette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I sort of think that if its black it will look like I painted the ubiquitous farm table black. Will it stand out less as a farm table if it is walnut or cherry on the bottom?

On the other hand, if I did have the bucks, what would go with the rest of what I have? I was thinking for the chairs it has to be simple or it will look busy with the barstools.

How about a walnut type finish on the base and an upholstered parsons with same finish on the legs?

• palimpsest
    15 years ago

Personally, I would live with it and start shopping ebay and Craigslist. I think no matter what you do with it, it is gonna look like the ubiquitous farm table that you did something to. I would not spend any money on half measures.

• chinchette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks. I agree palimpsest. I really hate the look but should not complain when 90% of the rest of the house looks great. Sure wish that Craig's list was good for transitional and contemporary. Its got great bargains for traditional and antiques. I mean fine furniture for next to nothing. But the contemporary stuff looks junky.

If you were shopping Craig's list, what would you look for? I would love to mix antique with modern but I don't know how to pull that off.

What styles would look good with my barstools and the furniture in the Great Room? I can dream....

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

I would try to sell this table plus any other items that you may no longer need on CL. Start a new table kitty with your CL proceeds. You may wind up having more than you think. Look at no longer used electronics, cameras, toys, furniture, rugs, etc. Bonus is you get to clean out those closets/garage too.

• ronbre
    15 years ago

you could paint it black or stainless color but honestly, i would look for something else in a more approp style and pattern, you might even want to pick up an inexpensive outdoor set to use until you find the right one, and then put the outdoor set outdoors.

that is often a cute idea to tide persons over until they have the money and time and can choose the perfect piece..and there are lots of new outdoor things coming on the market now at ridiculously low prices cause of the economy..but also be shopping for what you want, it might save to just go ahead and get that instead

• parma42
    15 years ago

Your rooms are fabulous.

You have so much wood now, that I think a contemporary glass table would work. If you don't like that look, then I'd do a simple lined black one. Do you have any more of the rattan chairs?

I don't see the current table working in any form, for a long term solution.

• chinchette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the comments. I agree that I have a LOT of wood, however, am not crazy about glass and the idea of seeing everyone's legs while eating. How about a lighter color wood but a comtemporary table such as Room and Board Bradshaw dining table in maple or cherry.
    I do have a lot of points on American Express that I need to use up and can maybe find something from a merchant that they work with.

I'm not crazy about black. In theory, I like it, but when I stand in the room I can't picture it because I already have a lot of black in the Great Room. Seems like too much. Too same-o.

Here is a link that might be useful: table

• Nancy Fryhover
    15 years ago

You know what, I think you could paint the chairs a color like blue and get a real different effect...I see you need a fixure above? Why not go with a very comtempory light hung from a swaging chain..that would draw the attention from the table, and a very cool table center piece such as an almost round ball type with some long bamboo aranged in a spiral effect. Then everyone would be looking at that painting and light fixture and then see how the table is just a part of whats going on?

• scarlet_morgan
    15 years ago

Those tables are REALLY hot on CL right now. People buy them and then paint the base and apron of the table and all but the seat of the chairs black. That is what is 'in' right now if you look in all the catalogs. I just sold 2 of those for family members and they each made $200 - and theirs had the tile top. Most folks prefer the wood top.

I think you should sell yours on CL and then buy what you want. No need to paint it because you most likely won't be happy.

Scarlet

• scarlet_morgan
    15 years ago

BTW, your house is BEAUTIFUL!!!

• parma42
    15 years ago

I looked at the R&B table.

You have such a nice shading in your floors, that I think you could do a lighter wood. Maybe the cherry.

Look at the top of the table you have now and get an idea, from that, how light you'd like to go.

• palimpsest
    15 years ago

Room and Board definitely should have something in the "look"
    you are going for.

• chinchette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Drat. Just figured out that the only merchants I can use the Amex points with are Crate and Barrel, Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware, Williams and Sonoma Home. West Elm. None of those are really the right style.

Thanks for the suggestions and complements everyone- I really do think I need to live with it until I get the right contemporary set. If you have any other ideas, I'd love to hear them. I like the maple top against the dark floors. It also has nice patina. It was an expensive extension table...years ago. I've even thought of just using the maple top, minus the apron and get a metal pedestal in a contemporary shape.

• donnawb
    15 years ago

I love your house, it is fabulous. I love contemporary furnishings also and they are hard to come by. I really don't see the table and chairs working with your other furnishings no matter what you do with it. I would just wait until you can find something that will fit your style.

I do have to mention that I have the same windsor chairs with my kitchen table. Bought them 15 years ago when I was selling my old house because they fit in the kitchen nicely. I purchased the tile table also. I did replace the table with a more contemporary table but never bought new chairs. Mine stand out like a sore thumb.

I love the rattan chair that you showed. Did you get a cushion for it or did it come that way? I was thinking about those but no one in my family likes them.

• chinchette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Its an Ethan Allen chair that is in my dining room. The cushion is built into the chair. It comes that way or in fabric (this one is leather). Yes- it sure is difficult to find contemporary furniture. Thats why I ended up with a lot of EA by default. I don't want to look like an EA store. Actually I'd settle for that right now!

• miller88
    15 years ago

I know you didn't think C&B would have anything you'd like - but did you take a look? They do have items on the contemporary side. I know you said you don't like glass-top tables, but they have a few nice ones that seems as if they would go great with the rest of your furniture....

• nicole__
    15 years ago

I LOVE contemporary decor! I also think the top of the table should be stained a little darker...reddish brown, then paint the base a high gloss black. The little wicker chairs with leather seats....WOW!!!! LOVE those!!! It would work!

• chinchette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again. I do like the C&B pedestal table. A possibility. Wishing it were in a lighter color.

Nicole- thanks. I like those chairs too, but only have two of them. Thinking I need to hang in there for the right thing.

• parma42
    15 years ago

Arhaus is another place to keep in mind.

They have some very good clearance sales and some contemporary lines. Mosaics, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Arhaus

• roobear
    15 years ago

The mart may have some less expensive looks-more traditional contemporary which is kind of what your cabinets in the kitchen are and your living room furniture. I've purchase some quality furniture from them and personally know from experience their customer service is great. They have some great deals on their website you might want to check out. They ship anywhere in the US and sometimes their delivery fees are free.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nebraska Furniture Mart

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

WOW!!!!! Your home is Amazing!!!!! And Fabulous Art Work! And your floors!!!!! Love your style! My first thought was to paint the table the darkest blue from the painting, then pick out colors you love from the diningroom and livingroom fireplace art to repeat over the wood parts, example, ultra suede in the jewel tones cut out like the diningroom picture for the table top with a protective glass top and cushions from both art work colors to tie the rooms together. Ultra suede is more $$$ than other choises, but practical in the long run, forgiving and washable, and can't be beat for rich daziling color. Great for matting art work too, and a pleasure to work with. Anyway, that would make the table a piece of art and look intentional until you find what you really want. Hope you can imagine what I'm trying to discribe?

• chinchette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again. The Arhaus link is great. I'll be on the look out for sales. Very artistic! Also the Nebraska Furniture Mart is v. nteresting for good prices.

Thanks for the complements bodica. Ya, I do love the floors and I'll just ignore the table for now. I've thought of every way to alter it, but I think it will look like a farm table that I'm trying to hide. Its been fun looking at other ideas.

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Darn, I really wanted to copy your swimming pod picture in ultrasuede a tablecloth! lol! There are so many beautiful things to enjoy, your table really is not a problem.Thanks for reporting back, we always wonder......
    You kitchen is fabulous, and it looks like an easy floor plan for several people at the same time. Very nice and the cabinet wood is exquisite!

• les917
    15 years ago

As a stopgap, what about two pairs of these chairs from JCP:

pair of sedona chairs

Or, if you can swing it, four of these from Carrington Court, one chair in each color, perhaps a gold, a purple, a red and a green, to add to the contemporary feel. I like how the button tufting picks up on the same effect from the sectional in the LR.

Then take the apron off the table permanently, spray paint the base in the hammered grey finish from Rustoleum, and leave the top in the light wood.

Add a great chandy, something fun that picks up on the curves of the table and the colors in the seating, but is a cross between contemporary and traditional.

color crystal chandy

Sell the old chairs on CL.

• les917
    15 years ago

Oops, forgot the link to the Carrington Court chairs:

button back dining chair

• redbazel
    15 years ago

Chinchette, I was kind of scrolling backwards (up from bottom) instead of down reading your thread, (has to do with a very complicated balancing of dying laptop on my lap while a chiweinie dog tries to settle on my lap too!) and was actually amazed to see the lovely open spaces and beautiful decor of your home in the photos with the white dinette. I've had a set like that many years ago, but in smaller space and much more 'country' decor. As you are aware, that set does nothing to enhance or work with, the rest of your space. If you want to spend the money to buy new chairs and stain or paint the table, then, that is one way to go, but personally, I would sell the set on Craigslist like some have suggested and get something else more in keeping with your renovation and style. The parsons chairs are a nice look and would work well with what you have. Or you might find something else, perhaps an antique set that suits you.
    On the budget thing, I hear you. I finally found the entry sideboard I've had in mind for this house almost from the beginning. (those of you who actually have furniture budgets or can go into Ethan Allen and buy a bedroom suite need to STOP reading now!) It was $600 and I finally got her down to $500, but that was still about twice what I could afford for this year. So, I put my old buffet on Craigslist and sold it yesterday for $240. I also have an old dining table that I expect to sell for about $200. And I may have a garage sale early April to unload a bunch of decor items and misc. All of this will offset my buffet purchase. It's a rare thing when I just order a sofa or go into a furniture store and pick out a recliner. But there is so much stuff out there in good condition through CL or garage sales or ebay, where people just like you are trying to get the right thing for their homes by selling what doesn't work. Your set is going to be perfect for someone's home, because it's a good set. It just doesn't do much for your space.

Red

• chinchette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Les- I was thinking of a Carrington chair- not the one with the buttons though. My thought was that the quality seems good and gets good reviews. Ideal scene however, would be a modified parsons chair, which they don't have. One with the back cut out near the seat. But I seriously have mulled over the Carrington parsons.

Red, I love the idea of finding an antique on Crag's list, but I don't think I have the finesse to mix it with the contemporary furniture that I have. The traditional furniture on Craigs list can be awesome buys. But I think I need straight lines. Is there an antique style or traditional style that would some how mix to a nice eclectic look?

One decorator, back when I could afford one, said how about the Pottery Barn sea grass dining chair and stain the bottom of the table dark to match the dark ones, or go with the light ones and make it maple on the bottom. Is that out of the question girls?

Here is a link that might be useful: pottery barn chair you've seen a million times

• chinchette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, Les, one more thing. I was also thinking of taking off the apron. I just sat on the red couch and took a look at the table. Realized that the apron is there to hide the support pieces under the table- its an extension table. You would see all that without the apron.

Okay, back to the other plan. Get something else. Part of the problem is that the table was an expensive version of the now ubiquitous farm table. So its hard for me to give it up, but I need to.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    15 years ago

I really like the overall shape of your table and the pedestal design (but agree that the chairs should go). I think if you were up for a serious DIY project and sanded it, then stained w/a darker more contemporary stain, it would look really nice with some modern chairs. I've been looking at this website for chairs and I think you could get away with pairing your table (stained, not painted) w/modern chairs. I think I linked to chairs that sort of match your bar stools.

Here is a link that might be useful: restaurant chairs

• sailormann
    15 years ago

You could make it loook really modern which might be nice...

Paint the base in a metallic colour - I'd suggest something silvery but brass could work as well.
    Get four overly large rubber-wheeled casters with the brake levers. Put one on each foot.

Find a laminate that you like and have it cut to cover the top. Cover that with glass. Have holes bored through the glass before you put it on. Continue the holes through the table top and put in some nice big shiny bolts to hold everything together.

• oceanna
    15 years ago

I think one of these would look a lot better in your gorgeous home. So I'd sell your existing table on CL along with everything else in the house and garage I could part with, and get one of these.

Counter height table. Your dog (if you have one) would have trouble mooching from that height. lol!

Or...? Have you snooped your CL lately?

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

"I can use the Amex points with are Crate and Barrel, Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware, Williams and Sonoma Home. West Elm. None of those are really the right style."

The table set you have looks like superior quality and in pristine condition. I'm sure you could sell it quickly for a nice price.

A simple Parsons table would fit you home nicely with it's MCM style. West Elm has them for a fraction of the ones at Crate and Barrel, or Room and Board and in my area they show up on CL all the time since nobody around here appreciates them.

West Elm $399:

{{!gwi}}

These chairs @$89 can also be found in plastic much cheaper:

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

After selling your set on CL check out the one in your area for MCM pieces selling for a song. This MCM baby is listed in my area for $200. You have to look at pieces with a good eye for how they can work in a new space. Imagine this with really cool chairs in your space. Most people photograph their items in the garage or basement, or with their current funishings which do not do a piece justice.

I think they have the bases reversed though and they should be facing curved outward:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

With placemats you won't be looking at your dinner guest's feet and legs.

• parma42
    15 years ago

Dania has some inexpensive contemporary sets.

Table is $399 and chairs are $59.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• chinchette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I like the styles at Dania. I'm in Florida and we don't have that store, but its an interesting idea. Like the idea of oval or round. We have to get a sturdy chair, as DH and DS rock on the chairs. DH wants something padded. I'll update you all if I find somthing.

• rdquilter
    15 years ago

Would you share where you got the bar stools? Would love to look at them more closely.
    Yout kitchen is incredible!

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

• chinchette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The stools were from a company called Holland.
    Wish I could afford them currently, but the bucks stopped here...

Here is a link that might be useful: Holland stools

• chinchette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bodica, where is that photo from? The second row left hand photo looks familiar.

Comfie looking.

• rdquilter
    15 years ago

thanks for posting the Holland site. Are you pretty happy with the barstools?

• chinchette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I do like the barstools. They swivel. They are high quality and comfortable seat. Perhaps it would be more comfortable to have a seat with an upholstered back. However, I don't know that I really lean back a lot when using a barstool.

When I first got them I thought they were way too cold looking and "mean". I came to like them.

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

I googled for chairs that Rock, Swivel and on Casters and also google Game and Poker table/chairs. Even some office chairs would work for dining in comfort. I think it's wonderful to dine and visit at a beautiful table in a really comfy cushioned chair with armrests and able to rock relaxing with a drink, and swivel for ease, casters to move chairs effortlessly. Sound like your men would enjoy chairs of this type.

Sponsored
Michael Harvey Homes LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars24 Reviews
Northern Neck and Middle Peninsula Award-Winning Custom Home Builder