Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purplepansies

Center shelves over toilet, or. . . .

purplepansies
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

I usually hang out over in kitchens, but have been reading this forum for a little while now. This is my first post here.

I feel really silly for asking this question, but I am getting different answers from family members, so I thought I'd ask the experts!

We have just updated our bathroom, and I want to put a triple glass shelving unit over the toilet. However, the toilet, with a perpendicular wall on one side and the pedestal sink on the other, is not perfectly centered between the two. If I center the shelves I really want to buy over the toilet, they would be much too close to the medicine cabinet (which is pretty much exactly the width of the sink.)

Do the shelves need to be centered over the toilet, or can they be centered between the perpendicular wall and medicine cabinet? Would it look silly to be off-center of the toilet? If so, I guess I should look for something else that is narrower.

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

any pics?

• purplepansies
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I should have figured someone would ask that! :)

I will snap a photo or two tomorrow and post. Thank you!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

We put glass shelves over the pot at the old house...we staggered them so they filled the space better and I could display both taller and shorter things on them.

Perhaps if you consider that it will distract from being off center.

But be sure the guys in the house have their say on this...they spend more time standing at the pot facing the wall than women do.

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

Try a mockup with some newspaper taped to the wall in the size and length of the shelves. Then stand back. Usually your eye will tell you what looks right. My best guess is that centering on the wall space independent of the commode will be what looks better. After all, it isn't like you are trying to draw attention to the toilet.

• dilly_ny
    10 years ago

I agree with Juliekcmo. Definitely try different mock ups. I think that when people are standing, the shelves will be at eye level and centering them to the space will seem more appealing than centering them over the toilet which is well below eye level.

• purplepansies
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks juliekcmo and dilly_ny - that is a great idea and I am embarrassed I didn't think of it! I will try that this weekend.

The staggered shelves are an interesting idea, too, Annie. I will mull over that possibility, too.

I am sorry I haven't had time to snap photos, it's grant writing time at work and it is all-consuming.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

My idea was staggering in which you are creating composition and not symmetry, and it will be interesting! Keep it styled with interesting object d'art and toiletries, etc.

• Stacey C
    4 years ago

I noticed these comments were back in 2014 but thank you it is the week before 2020 and I’m hanging a bathroom cabinet over my toilet which if I center over the toilet will not be center on the wall between the mirror and the adjacent wall. I have the same problem you had. I have chosen to center on the wall and not the toilet!