Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Can you identify this fabric style?

Oakley
12 years ago

I sure hope the clarity of this fabric shows on your monitors.

I'm getting ready to do this craft project for a wall, and I'd like to use the exact material in 3 of the frames shown.

1. The large hoop on the right.

2 & 3. The top and bottom materials on the left side in the hoops.

Is there a particular name describing these fabrics?

{{!gwi}}

Comments (14)

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

The big hoop is a large scale paisley

I would call the upper left a contemporary floral and the lower left a medallion motif.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I know it's paisley, but it's the color clarity of it and the other two.

I'll look up medallion, that sounds about right.

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

The large paisley looks like faux crewel work, like the Indian wool-on-linen needle work, but in a print. Is that what you mean?

• jennifer_in_kansas
    12 years ago

That original image came from The Purl Bee. The fabric appears to be from the 2007 Liberty of London Tana Lawn collection.

Jennifer

Here is a link that might be useful: The Purl Bee

• Oakley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jennifer, that's the site where I found the picture. I should have scrolled down further and read the comments. They sell fabric and gave the name and number of the one I want. They have beautiful fabric. I thought it was just a blog.

Thanks for the help!

• Oakley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So much for that fabric! lol. The price range is from $32 to $56 a yard. I will find something similar. Anyone have other recommendations?

• Jbrig
    12 years ago

Oakley, be sure to check at some of the online discount fabric places that sell decorator fabric. Fabricguru.com, fabric.com, buyfabric.com, fabriccarolina.com, housefabric.com come to mind offhand...

• jennifer_in_kansas
    12 years ago

Oakley,

I love those fabric choices, too. Just for fun I started looking to see what else Liberty had to offer. Their website is full of women's clothing! I was completely involved before I realized the dress I liked was about $500US.

We have expensive taste

Jennifer

• rmkitchen
    12 years ago

Last year for Mothers' Day I gave myself a present of a new yukata (summer kimono) made of Liberty of London fabric (and two obis, too). The fabric itself isn't super expensive (well, I guess it depends upon the exchange rate), but the shipping and customs hurt. Hey -- go to London for the Olympics and drop by Liberty for some "souvenirs" .... I like the way I think! If only I could afford to join you.

Have fun with your project! I look forward to seeing it.

• tinam61
    12 years ago

I agree about checking some of the other websites listed and hopefully finding a lower price. Remember though that you'll only need a small amount. Will they sell 1/4 yard?

• Oakley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

J, thanks for the suggestions. While I was checking out prices of Liberty's fabrics on Amazon, I looked at their other fabric. I couldn't believe the large selection on Amazon with super low prices. They have the color clarity of Liberty's fabrics.

The hard part will be getting fabric with the same colors.

Would you all paint the hoops or leave them plain? I'm leaning towards painting them all one color.

• User
    12 years ago

Those all look like simple quilting fabrics so it may be hard to find any specific one.

• prill
    12 years ago

Check out ebay - there seem to be quite a few listings.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The style of the fabric is "Novelty." I found so many nice ones at low prices it's hard to choose.

Quilting fabric is usually Calico, which is small print.

Do you all think I should paint the hoops in one color or leave them plain? I'm going to be starting the project pretty soon. I found the perfect wall to hang them on, and what's nice is a straight pin will hold them on the wall without putting a bunch of holes in it.

It's been a long time since I've done any fabric crafting, I'm anxious to get back in the game!