Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lnia

Dining Room Nitch

lynn
12 years ago

Hello,

OUr dining room will have a nitch with a pretty arch above. Right now the nitch is 8 feet long although our hutch or furniture piece will probably be in the 6 feet range. Knowing this, do you think the furniture will look dwarfed in a space that is designed for something larger? I am thinking about reducing the length of the nitch to be closer to the length of the furniture.

THoughts?

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Niche. :)

• les917
    12 years ago

Do you have a specific piece that you will be using in the niche?

It doesn't sound that way, as you said 'our hutch or furniture piece will probably be in the 6 ft range'. Having a little extra space on each side would give you some versatility in using the area, and piece that you might find to put there could end up being larger than you anticipate.

If you have a hutch or taller cabinet, you could add some wall sconces on either side, or even art.

It also depends on how it affects the rest of the room design. Does 8 ft of space compromise how you can use the rest of that wall, and the other space in the room?

• lynn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the spelling correction! :-)

No, we don't own the furniture piece yet. In looking online and at what some friends have, it seems most hutches are in the 6 feet range. I love the idea of the wall sconces on either side. Perhaps I will leave..
    Our dining room is 17.5 feet long and the niche is 8 feet 4 inches long (it backs up to storage space in the garage). Because we are using the entire length of the storage space, the niche wont be perfectly centered. It will be off by less than a foot on one side. You think it would be best to center and thus just box off the access space?

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Is there a design reason to have it off-center? If there is not (a door, etc.) I would center it.
    Renee

• texask
    12 years ago

I have a 9.5 ft niche in my Great Room (living room/family room??) it is off center. I have my TV on a large 7+ ft French server (Louis XVI?). I will post picture if you want to see (have to find my password).

• lynn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone. You made me feel better about the size. Texask, If t is easy enough to post, please do so. Thanks!

• texask
    12 years ago

There is about 10" more of wall space on the side closest to the fireplace.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Just had a thought. How about having a built-in for the entire niche area? You could have it made exactly to your specifications as far as shelves, doors, sections, whatever and I think that might look wonderful.

• texask
    12 years ago

I found a picture of a home I visited while looking for a home in Texas. I think it might be what cyn427 is suggesting.